The Oracle Answers

ripster

29 Jun 2012, 23:45

I think that Oracles were traditionally Cloud Of Boobs Virgins. But what do I know, I am but a pagan fearful of the wrath from above.

twosevenska

30 Jun 2012, 01:09

Thanks Oracle for your suggestion, however the only place I've discovered thus far with Filco Keyboards lack the tenkeyless Brown MX version and will only restock 24th of August. I'm still trying to look around, but being new to this hobby and at the same time limited to pursue further knowledge among these walls, which happen to have lot's of geekhack broken links, is proving difficult. :?

With that in mind the Red MX ones seemed to be the next best option. Unless there's a viable mod for a newb like me to make those blue a little more silent :) Oh and btw, I'm always with headphones while on the computer and listening to something, so maybe I can always ignore the MX Blue click noises...

Do you think such feat is possible with the MX Blue? Should I keep on trying to find a store in EU with MX browns? Go with MX Red? Chnage to another keyboard that I can actually get soon?

Edit:
Decided to get the camo edition, despite not looking as classy as the other I'm open to modding it a bit. That is if I end up not being able to grab the normal one...
Last edited by twosevenska on 30 Jun 2012, 04:01, edited 2 times in total.

noobandroid

30 Jun 2012, 03:16

twosevenska wrote:Thanks Oracle for your suggestion, however the only place I've discovered thus far with Filco Keyboards lack the tenkeyless Brown MX version and will only restock 24th of August. I'm still trying to look around, but being new to this hobby and at the same time limited to pursue further knowledge among these walls, which happen to have lot's of geekhack broken links, is proving difficult. :?

With that in mind the Red MX ones seemed to be the next best option. Unless there's a viable mod for a newb like me to make those blue a little more silent :) Oh and btw, I'm always with headphones while on the computer and listening to something, so maybe I can always ignore the MX Blue click noises...

Do you think such feat is possible with the MX Blue? Should I keep on trying to find a store in EU with MX browns? Go with MX Red? Chnage to another keyboard that I can actually get soon?
maybe the blue use with O rings to dampen the sound

dasde

30 Jun 2012, 14:32

Mighty oracle,

I am fairly new to the keyboard world, I have done my research, but I am having trouble finding a new keyboard for own use, please help me, here is what I need:

White backlit (Like the Ducky Shine's)
A 1x5 row programmable keys on the left side of they keyboard.
105-key ISO Layout
Cherry MX Brown switch
PBT keycaps preferred, but not required
Wired

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

03 Jul 2012, 11:25

NEBUCHADNEZZAR wrote:O the one true Keyboard Oracle, I come for advice. I have a crap desk and a Rosewill board with MX Blacks for my home use (Gaming mostly). I find my WPM drops by at least 20 (from ~90) over using my Unicomp BS board at work (with a proper desk and chair)

Is this simply because the blacks are an awkward switch for typing? (i've only had it for about a month), or is the horrible contortions i make to my body to accomodate my broken ass desk causing me to make more mistakes?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: It is the change from the very precise buckling springs to the linear blacks.

The Keyboard Oracle

03 Jul 2012, 11:44

dasde wrote:White backlit (Like the Ducky Shine's)
A 1x5 row programmable keys on the left side of they keyboard.
105-key ISO Layout
Cherry MX Brown switch
PBT keycaps preferred, but not required
Wired
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: No keyboard exists with the exact specificiations - you may like the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition or the Qpad MK-80 for ISO layout.

EricDavidson

04 Jul 2012, 19:17

Oh mighty Oracle,

here is a tricky question for you! I have been trying to find the name of the manufacturer (i e some Asian factory most likely) of the keyboard depicted below, but to no avail. It might not even be available in your realm (bought it in Europe). I turn to thee as my last hope to solve this mystery. Your holy eyeballs will notice the small plastic trackball. Also found it at Brando.com but there mysteriously with a metal ball - this might be a copy, I can't be sure.
Del.jpg
Del.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 6145 times
Ace.jpg
Ace.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 6145 times

The Keyboard Oracle

04 Jul 2012, 19:53

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Teket Innovation.

off

04 Jul 2012, 21:07

twosevenska wrote:Unless there's a viable mod for a newb like me to make those blue a little more silent :)
Do you think such feat is possible with the MX Blue?
Edit:
Decided to get the camo edition, despite not looking as classy as the other I'm open to modding it a bit. That is if I end up not being able to grab the normal one...
Such a feat is indeed possible with Blues, glueing the white clicky part to the blue stem with a drop of superglue is supposed to make them a 'blue man's browns', ofcourse with any such mod (that requires boiling water to undo, hence quite probably wrecking the stems in the process), do try it on a seldomly-used key first; perhaps you dislike ghetto browns.
Might I ask what, if any, filco camo edition you have ordered, switch-wise?
The Keyboard Oracle wrote:
you may like the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition or
In case you are by now contemplating the above board, make yourself aware of the so-called 'White Widow' mod.

EricDavidson

04 Jul 2012, 21:24

The Keyboard Oracle wrote:The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Teket Innovation.
You truly are an Oracle! As if there ever was a doubt! I thank You and bow humbly.

Automaton

05 Jul 2012, 07:21

Oracle, I am in need of your wisdom.

I want a keyboard with cherry MX Red keyswitches, as I already have blues, don't want the tactile feel of browns and think the blacks might be too stiff.

I want this keyboard for about 60% gaming (mainly in Starcraft II), 40% typing.

I don't care about any flashy lights, functions etc. I just want a good quality keyboard that's sturdy and feels good. Mic/headphone ports would be an added bonus.

The keyboard would preferably be in UK (ISO) layout, but I could possibly get used to the American layout if the keyboard's price and quality justifies it over others.

This keyboard must be under £70, the cheaper the better, as long as it doesn't get into questionable quality.

I'd rather not have a tenkeyless keyboard, but if it is tenkeyless, I don't want any keys squashed or replaced like the noppoo choc mini.

So far, the best I could find is the QPAD MK-50 (£63 and comes with a mouse mat):
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30037.html
This keyboard seems like it has everything that I want, but your opinion on its quality and also whether there are any better options would be much appreciated.

dasde

05 Jul 2012, 13:23

off wrote:
twosevenska wrote:Unless there's a viable mod for a newb like me to make those blue a little more silent :)
Do you think such feat is possible with the MX Blue?
Edit:
Such a feat is indeed possible with Blues, glueing the white clicky part to the blue stem with a drop of superglue is supposed to make them a 'blue man's browns', ofcourse with any such mod (that requires boiling water to undo, hence quite probably wrecking the stems in the process), do try it on a seldomly-used key first; perhaps you dislike ghetto browns.
Might I ask what, if any, filco camo edition you have ordered, switch-wise?
you may like the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition or
In case you are by now contemplating the above board, make yourself aware of the so-called 'White Widow' mod.
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth isn't made for ISO 105 key, it is only ANSI.

off

05 Jul 2012, 13:27

dasde wrote:
<huge quote>
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth isn't made for ISO 105 key, it is only ANSI.
Why indeed, "The Keyboard Oracle has decided: No keyboard exists with the exact specificiations - you may like the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition or the Qpad MK-80 for ISO layout."
Sadly concessions will have to be made in regards to your wishes.
There's always Shapeways and separate Cherry switches though, but not for the faint of heart (takes quite some work).

tamerlane

05 Jul 2012, 19:27

Oh mighty oracle,

Is the Wang 724 (PC/AT, inverted-t cursor keys) a rebadged version of some other board or is it a unique Wang design?

The Keyboard Oracle

05 Jul 2012, 22:20

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: It is a unique Wang design.

The Keyboard Oracle

05 Jul 2012, 22:31

Automaton wrote:So far, the best I could find is the QPAD MK-50 (£63 and comes with a mouse mat):
This keyboard seems like it has everything that I want, but your opinion on its quality and also whether there are any better options would be much appreciated.
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: At this price level you cannot expect the higest quality, but it is great value for money, much better than a rubber dome keyboard at the same price level, and you cannot get better for under £70 with your requirements.

zzAaron

05 Jul 2012, 22:57

Oh mighty oracle, I am seeking your most knowledgeable opinion upon the purchase of thine first keyboard. I am usually a gamer who plays CounterStrike and League of Legends, i would say is split 50/50 with typing. I was given advice to take the Blue MX. However my own instincts from transitioning from a rubber dome where i bottom out make me think towards a red switch because my delicate touch may not be able to accept the harshness of the blacks. Currently I'm looking at the:

Ducky DK9008G2 - Blues
http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.p ... il&p=11457

Max Keyboard Durandal G1N or Nighthawk X8 - Browns
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard ... board.html
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard ... board.html

Leopold - Blue
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php? ... =fc500rcab#

The only reason why I even considered the Max's are because they have a 20% discount. I can most definitely afford the ducky (which i love the clean look of) but these other choices present a cheaper, more enticing options. Should i just go for the ducky? or does the sale factor of the Max's give it a chance, or does the leopold a solid option.

Furthermore, i am still confused about the switches, will it be blue? brown? red? (im only doubting the linear switches because i dont press that hard but only cause the rubberdomes NEEDS me to bottom out my keyboard

asdf

05 Jul 2012, 23:07

Whoa, an Oracle. Gotta try this out. I first ordered a Cherry MX Blue Filco that was black but I wanted white beige a lot more so I got the white beige Cherry MX Brown Filco instead. What will happen to me?

The Keyboard Oracle

05 Jul 2012, 23:14

zzAaron wrote:Furthermore, i am still confused about the switches, will it be blue? brown? red? (im only doubting the linear switches because i dont press that hard but only cause the rubberdomes NEEDS me to bottom out my keyboard
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: MX Browns are the safest choice, and avoid the MX Blues for gaming - these switches were optimized for typing. Leopold is the best of what you're looking at, but Filcos have better feeling big keys.

The Keyboard Oracle

05 Jul 2012, 23:18

asdf wrote:Whoa, an Oracle. Gotta try this out. I first ordered a Cherry MX Blue Filco that was black but I wanted white beige a lot more so I got the white beige Cherry MX Brown Filco instead. What will happen to me?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: You have entered only the first steps on the path of enlightment, and will buy even more keyboards, freeing you of lowly needs such as money. There is no return.

tamerlane

06 Jul 2012, 15:05

Oh great Oracle, you are truly all-knowing.

Automaton

07 Jul 2012, 09:36

Automaton wrote:So far, the best I could find is the QPAD MK-50 (£63 and comes with a mouse mat):
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: At this price level you cannot expect the higest quality, but it is great value for money, much better than a rubber dome keyboard at the same price level, and you cannot get better for under £70 with your requirements.
Thank you, oh great Oracle. My MK-50 shall be arriving in but a few days.

Grundoko

09 Jul 2012, 06:33

Oh great Oracle, I am but a lowly peasant in this world of clicky. My first mechanical keyboard I bought just last year, and it was a Leopold FC200RT, with the MX Brown switches.

I recently played with an IBM keyboard connected to one of the store computers at Best Buy, and absolutely fell in love with the keys, which I assume were buckling spring. I've been looking at getting a Unicomp Customizer, but would I be better off getting that, or finding a used Model M somewhere?

The Keyboard Oracle

09 Jul 2012, 08:35

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Buy Unicomp for a fresh set of buckling springs.

artee

10 Jul 2012, 19:02

Oracle, when will be CM Storm QuickFire with other switches than black available in Europe?

The Keyboard Oracle

10 Jul 2012, 19:28

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: ETA is the second week of August.

artee

10 Jul 2012, 20:23

The Keyboard Oracle wrote:The Keyboard Oracle has decided: ETA is the second week of August.
So early? This is great! Thanks a lot Oracle!

Automaton

10 Jul 2012, 22:50

FYI guys, this QPAD MK-50 is awesome. Reds ftw, so much better than the blues in my BWU for gaming. My APM has increased by like 20 in starcraft :D

The quality is good, feels really sturdy, and my favourite thing is the matte finish on the keys, so much better than the plasic-y finish on the BWU. The keyboard looks plain and professional, exactly how I wanted it:

(not my actuall keyboard - pulled from google)

The whole thing oozes much more quality than the BWU, a treat to type on :) I don't think I'd mind blacks either, because I like these reds and they are very light, I feel as if I could cope easily with some keys double the strength of these.

Thank you oracle, for helping me come to this decision :D

ericbentley

11 Jul 2012, 01:24

Dear great Oracle,

What would his righteousness recommend as a wristrest for a Filco Majestouch 2 104key?
I used to use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 and found the wristrest soothing as I tend to drop my wrists, and I hear that the Steelseries 7G wristrest is also quite comfortable. I am not opposed to soft wristwrests either
Maximum price of $50

I humbly await your profound answer

E-Peen

12 Jul 2012, 12:24

Oh great one, I really want a topre keyboard... but I can't decide which keyboard. Hint, I really like the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2.

But I'd still like your opinion, of course... oh great one.

Return to “Keyboards”