The Oracle Answers

Laser
emacs -nw

06 Oct 2016, 19:47

I'm thinking of the small detail missing from having a perfect HHKB (already has Hasu's alternate PCB with TMK firmware, so that part is solved) - the *only* missing feature is a SPLIT SPACEBAR. Does the mighty Oracle have some ideas in that direction? Something nondestructive, of course - and I won't expect the split spacebar pieces to necessarily sit on Topre switches.

Phenix
-p

16 Oct 2016, 03:55

split spacebars arent easy to find.
I just ordered a clueboard - 66%, but split spacebar+ANSI/ISO/HHKB/JIS supported

TrueGamer007

17 Oct 2016, 19:39

Oh great Oracle!

I am buying a mechanical keyboard for the first time. These are my requirements:
  • per-key RGB
    A wrist rest
    A 10-key numpad
    separate media control switches
This is my first mechanical keyboard, so I'm not sure which switches to go with. I guess Cherry MX Browns are a middle-ground so maybe that. Also, I'd like an affordable option, preferably one from a big brand like corsair or razer so I can find it in my region.

Darkshado

18 Oct 2016, 03:04

TrueGamer007 wrote: Oh great Oracle!

I am buying a mechanical keyboard for the first time. These are my requirements:
  • per-key RGB
    A wrist rest
    A 10-key numpad
This is my first mechanical keyboard, so I'm not sure which switches to go with. I guess Cherry MX Browns are a middle-ground so maybe that. Also, I'd like an affordable option, preferably one from a big brand like corsair or razer so I can find it in my region.
It would be wise to specify on which part of this planet you plan on acquiring said keyboard, for it may have deep repercussions on what answers you will get...

Darkshado

18 Oct 2016, 03:10

Parjánya wrote: O mighty coracle, is there any JIS keyboard with cherry mx stems that's decent and happens to be affordable? I think I'll like that 4.5u spacebar.
Decent? No idea after what it's gone through. Worse case you'd have a case, plate and the keycaps to work with.
Affordable? As affordable as shipping from Sweden to Brazil might be.

Shameless plug: for-sale-f55/read-carefully-modded-filc ... 14745.html

TrueGamer007

18 Oct 2016, 15:49

Darkshado wrote:
TrueGamer007 wrote: Oh great Oracle!

• per-key RGB
    A wrist rest
    A 10-key numpad
It would be wise to specify on which part of this planet you plan on acquiring said keyboard, for it may have deep repercussions on what answers you will get...
As long as I can import via Amazon.com, doesn't matter. Btw, my info is to the left, click that downward pointing arrow right next to my username.

TrueGamer007

21 Oct 2016, 20:19

umm, is the oracle on vacation???

Darkshado

22 Oct 2016, 05:32

Probably not, but I suspect the oracle doesn't care much for LED arrays that also happen to be keyboards...

To answer your question more seriously:
per-key RGB, you mean software configurable straight from the OS? dig out reviews for which software actually does what you have in mind. I suspect most of it is going to be intrusive and resource-heavy for no reason...
wrist rests are typically sold separately; lots of DIY and commercial options
10-key numpad: so you're looking for a "full size" keyboard
separate media control keys: would layers be a possibility?

You've got genuine Cherry MX, and clones like Kaihl (a.k.a. Kaihua, also used by Razer), Gateron and Outemu.
There's other switch families out there like Alps, Topre, IBM buckling spring (membrane and capacitive PCB), etc.

Keep in mind that choosing a switch type is a subjective thing.

Back to the relatively easy to find MX types.

You can have lighter or heavier spring weights, and multiple slider designs that give the switches different feels as you use them.

Going by your user name I'll assume you want that keyboard for play rather than professional use.

Linear switches give you no significant physical or audible indication that they have been actuated. MX Reds are light, MX Blacks heavier.
Tactile switches have a "bump" which can be felt around the switch's actuation point. MX Browns are light, MX Clears are heavier, with a more pronounced bump on the slider.
Clicky switches have a tactile bump and a two-part slider which clicks on the downstroke. MX Blue (lighter) and MX Green (heavier, often for the spacebar on MX Blue keyboards.) are the main ones you'll encounter.

Stick with genuine Cherry switches from a well-reviewed make; in your situation I'd start with Browns or Reds, maybe Blacks.

Try out a few before buying. I tried Reds, Browns and Blues, went for Clears based on that. Currently on a Model M, the Clears are still in my rotation.

Good luck,

Darkshado

TrueGamer007

22 Oct 2016, 11:04

Darkshado wrote: Probably not, but I suspect the oracle doesn't care much for LED arrays that also happen to be keyboards...

To answer your question more seriously:
per-key RGB, you mean software configurable straight from the OS? dig out reviews for which software actually does what you have in mind. I suspect most of it is going to be intrusive and resource-heavy for no reason...
wrist rests are typically sold separately; lots of DIY and commercial options
10-key numpad: so you're looking for a "full size" keyboard
separate media control keys: would layers be a possibility?

You've got genuine Cherry MX, and clones like Kaihl (a.k.a. Kaihua, also used by Razer), Gateron and Outemu.
There's other switch families out there like Alps, Topre, IBM buckling spring (membrane and capacitive PCB), etc.

Keep in mind that choosing a switch type is a subjective thing.

Back to the relatively easy to find MX types.

You can have lighter or heavier spring weights, and multiple slider designs that give the switches different feels as you use them.

Going by your user name I'll assume you want that keyboard for play rather than professional use.

Linear switches give you no significant physical or audible indication that they have been actuated. MX Reds are light, MX Blacks heavier.
Tactile switches have a "bump" which can be felt around the switch's actuation point. MX Browns are light, MX Clears are heavier, with a more pronounced bump on the slider.
Clicky switches have a tactile bump and a two-part slider which clicks on the downstroke. MX Blue (lighter) and MX Green (heavier, often for the spacebar on MX Blue keyboards.) are the main ones you'll encounter.

Stick with genuine Cherry switches from a well-reviewed make; in your situation I'd start with Browns or Reds, maybe Blacks.

Try out a few before buying. I tried Reds, Browns and Blues, went for Clears based on that. Currently on a Model M, the Clears are still in my rotation.

Good luck,

Darkshado
Well, I can't try out cherry mx keys anywhere near me, I did try kaihl reds on one keyboard, didn't get as much resistant as I wanted. So I think browns are what I'm looking for. I'm thinking corsair k70 w/ cherry mx browns, that good?

Darkshado

22 Oct 2016, 22:46

In that case consider MX Blacks: Browns would give you a very small tactile bump and hardly more resistance than Reds. afaik the spring in Reds and Browns are the same.

Phenix
-p

23 Oct 2016, 01:01

If you want to try mx blacks you can get an g80-1800. They are -3 to 4€ + shipping IIRC, so around 10€shipped in DE.
[I cant provide an link at, sorry)

TrueGamer007

23 Oct 2016, 08:28

Well, I'm not finding any Cherry MX black keyboard with the other features (trivial as they may be) I want. Plus they are linear and heavier. I'd prefer a light switch I can actuate without completely depressing them.
I did some more research and decided on getting the Corsair k70 w/ cherry mx brown.

Thanks Darkshado for the info :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Oct 2016, 09:58

Phenix wrote: If you want to try mx blacks you can get an g80-1800. They are -3 to 4€ + shipping IIRC, so around 10€shipped in DE.
[I cant provide an link at, sorry)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/122187864304
The one offered here for for 8€ has USB, the same seller often offers PS/2 models for ~6€.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

01 Nov 2016, 18:22

Oh great oracle!

I want to build on my own RS96 (in ISO Btw) with a lasered metall plate, how much money cost a regular lasered switchplate in a size of a RS96 and which company in germany is the cheapest to laser it?

Scarpia

01 Nov 2016, 18:26

hypkx wrote: Oh great oracle!

I want to build on my own RS96 (in ISO Btw) with a lasered metall plate, how much money cost a regular lasered switchplate in a size of a RS96 and which company in germany is the cheapest to laser it?
Lasergist.com isn't in Germany but they are in the EU and their prices are very reasonable. You should be able to have it delivered for around 60 EUR.

HzFaq

01 Nov 2016, 18:31

Scarpia wrote:
hypkx wrote: Oh great oracle!

Lasergist.com isn't in Germany but they are in the EU and their prices are very reasonable. You should be able to have it delivered for around 60 EUR.
I'll 2nd lasergist, they're pretty good. A little slow (I think it was about a month from ordering to shipping) but they were quick to answer questions, the quality of the plate is great and the price was right ($35 shipped to UK for a 60% plate). I think I also have a discount code if you decide to go that route.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

01 Nov 2016, 18:53

Thanks for your answers, I will look into it, its still in the planning phase, because I have not that much time, but maybe in two weeks I am ready and come back to your offer HzFaq, thanks anyway.

HzFaq

01 Nov 2016, 19:00

No worries.

My turn to question the Oracle (or forum in general as seems to be the case recently).

Should I sell my G80-5000? I love it, but rarely use it and feel guilty that it is sat in it's box 49 odd weeks a year...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Nov 2016, 19:16

HzFaq wrote: No worries.

My turn to question the Oracle (or forum in general as seems to be the case recently).

Should I sell my G80-5000? I love it, but rarely use it and feel guilty that it is sat in it's box 49 odd weeks a year...
Keep it.
I use my electric razor not more than a few minutes a day and not even every day, but that’s not a reason for selling it.
And I’m certainly not going to sell my snow boots either, nor my sunglasses :lol:

scottc

02 Nov 2016, 11:06

HzFaq, you should sell it... to me :evilgeek:

I know the problem you're talking about, though. I have many rare keyboards that I don't use often and could probably sell, but I like hanging on to them as part of my collection. I'm not hard up for money right now, and I could get some short-term financial gain by selling things, but I want to hang on to my special finds.

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Nov 2016, 16:12

If you sell it, sell it within the community. Normally I'd tell you to go full capitalist and market the bugger on eBay, but it's nearing the holiday season and I just can't maintain my Scroogelike attitude.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Nov 2016, 16:25

Trade it for keyboard(s) you really want, the G80-5000 is highly tradable for sure.

citrojohn

03 Nov 2016, 18:29

O great and knowledgeable Teletext Oracle -
What converter would be suitable for connecting a Sejin Electron SKM-1040 to USB standard-size A? I have a Belkin F5U119-E, which works with my Cherry G84-4400 but not with the Sejin.

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

03 Nov 2016, 18:42

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Alas, the Belkin, thee shall has't to tryeth anoth'r converter, such as the Blue Cube or MultiMode.

Alkhar

06 Nov 2016, 14:17

Hello, can i use an Tipro rows and colums extension unit as a standalone ?
Do you think its possible to use it as a music box ? Aka biding a sound to a key, press key, play sound in your microphone ?
Thank you

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Nov 2016, 08:34

Alkhar wrote: Hello, can i use an Tipro rows and colums extension unit as a standalone ?
Any Tipro extension where a controller can be inserted (no tool required, just open base plate and insert) is a standalone.
Do you think its possible to use it as a music box ? Aka biding a sound to a key, press key, play sound in your microphone ?
Basically, yes. How you do it of course depends on the way you play sounds (e.g. youtube in a browser or dedicated media program).
Here's a general how-to (which I edited today with an additional hint):
workshop-f7/programming-a-tipro-board-o ... -t813.html

Alkhar

07 Nov 2016, 10:18

Hello, yeah cool that we can use the extension unit as a standalone, the other tipro are a little big for what i was thinking, aka play sound in the game voice chat. Thank you for the tutorial kbdfr.

Scarpia

10 Nov 2016, 15:01

Any idea what switches (if any?) might be in a Brother 5713 electric typewriter like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-Electri ... 7675.l2557

I came across one recently and the keys felt beyond smooth (linear). I had a keypuller with me but I couldn't pull the caps off with regular force + wiggling, and I didn't want to pull the thing apart right there at the thrift store :D

If there are mechanical switches under there I'd love to know what they are, but maybe it's an entirely different construction?

dtremit

17 Nov 2016, 16:41

Oh insightful one, please grant me guidance!

I am shopping for a fairly specific keyboard for my partner, whose preferences run entirely opposite mine. I have two Kinesis boards, and as a result, have spent a lot of time hyper-focused on 60% boards with brown switches.

Of course, my partner wants a 104 key layout, and blue switches, leaving me completely lost. I keep coming up with great keyboards that miss one of the criteria (great case but brown switches, affordable but enormous, perfect but black, etc.)

Must have:
  • Blue switches (no strong preference on brand)
  • Small footprint -- as little additional footprint beyond the keys as possible
  • Standard 104 key layout (suitable for a Tai-Hao keycap set)
  • Not a black case -- gray or aluminum would probably be ideal, but white or gold might work
Nice to have:
  • Backlighting would be nice
  • Fairly economical (shipped to the US, though I'm happy to deal with AliExpress)
  • I prefer a keyboard whose case doesn't expose the side of the switches.
Any thoughts on this?

uncletobai

21 Nov 2016, 11:16

Does anyone know if these are any good?
aliexpress.com/item/Mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-switch-pcb-mounted-cherry-stabilizer-black-case-6-25u-modifier-key-stabiliser/32714696538.html

Return to “Keyboards”