ADI - the oldie, mechanical keyboard I found in my basement

vedranius

21 Jan 2013, 00:43

http://imgur.com/a/iAZLC#0
What do you think guys, should I try to clean it, wash it?
It feels pretty nice.
Tell me, do you recognize switches?
Because I don't... It seem that they aren't Cherries?
Also, is there any good tutorial how to wash/clean the mechanical keyboard to the very very small detail?
Thank you, and I hope that someone can tell me more about this one! :D
Also, it got the old 5-pin connector, so ye, might need some modding...

IvanIvanovich

21 Jan 2013, 17:35

For cleaning, I take off all the keycaps and let them soak in some dish soap, scrub a bit if needed. For the case take the pcb out and wash it in the sink. For the PCB I would use some compressed air to clean off any dust while you have it all apart.
If it's AT you just need a simple AT to PS/2 adapter. If it's XT then you would need to do quite a lot more to get it working with a controller converter or swap.
As far as the switch, if it is what I am thinking it's a capacitive type. Push in those 2 tabs on each side of the stem to pull it out and see what is underneath. I'm sure some others would be interested to see that as well so maybe take another photo to post of the switch internals.

vedranius

21 Jan 2013, 18:06

Tnx man!
I took some new photos without caps...
http://imgur.com/a/i1YBB#6

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jan 2013, 22:16

Are the keycaps interchangeable with those from a Cherry keyboard?

IvanIvanovich

21 Jan 2013, 22:30

They certainly should be. If this is like one I had before, though it looks a bit different maybe a generation older.
B2D6psMh.jpg
B2D6psMh.jpg (420.83 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
Press in the tabs and pull up on the part the keycap attach, to see what is under. Want to verify if it's the kind I think it is.

vedranius

21 Jan 2013, 23:37

lysol wrote:They certainly should be. If this is like one I had before, though it looks a bit different maybe a generation older.
B2D6psMh.jpg
Press in the tabs and pull up on the part the keycap attach, to see what is under. Want to verify if it's the kind I think it is.
I popped up a switch, took some photos, and uploaded it to the album :)
http://imgur.com/a/i1YBB#12

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Jan 2013, 00:08

Okay ... now what's in the gap where that used to be?

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 00:49

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Okay ... now what's in the gap where that used to be?
Ye sorry, I took a photo but forgot to upload that one :D
Here it is, and I added it to the album:
http://i.imgur.com/fK5lEgR.jpg

IvanIvanovich

22 Jan 2013, 04:32

Oh, it's a type of hall effect switch. Not what I was expecting at all. Very nice.

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 08:44

DELETE POST, I accidentely quote it :D
Last edited by vedranius on 22 Jan 2013, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 08:44

vedranius wrote:
lysol wrote:Oh, it's a type of hall effect switch. Not what I was expecting at all. Very nice.
Can you explain me more? What is the hall switch, I mean, is that good or?
Why is it nice? :D
I want it all! Spit it out :ugeek: :D

Also tell me, can I put those keycaps in dishwasher? Not sure how to clean them nicely...

And opening the keyboard seems like the pain in the ass...
Actually I don't want to open it, I'd like to clean it nicely outside, is that possible without opening it?

Icarium

22 Jan 2013, 09:32

You should be able to clean it nicely using a wet cloth for the case and gently applied pressurized air for the inside.

A hall effect sensor measures the presence of a magnetic field through $physics_magic. (The electrons moving through the magnetic field are diverted because of the Lorentz force and this causes a voltage because the electrons are out of place. Don't ask me why there is a Lorentz force, I only remember it from highschool physics.)

Also: Let me know if you're willing to sell the board. ;)

Ekaros

22 Jan 2013, 09:39

Basicly from my understading it's one of the more expensive switch types... It's rather rare I think...

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 09:45

Oh, thank you guys! :)
I won't be selling it tho, cuz it's my dad's stuff, and I'd like to keep it! :)
It's nice to hear that :D
I might go to see if I can find some more keyboards in basement :D But I'm sure there's some XT, Commodore 64 and such :D

Icarium

22 Jan 2013, 09:47

They are quite common in old boards but this particular type I haven't seen before.

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 10:03

Icarium wrote:They are quite common in old boards but this particular type I haven't seen before.
I got more keyboards from KeyTronic, Cherry and such, but they aren't mechanical tho... Still, I might find some in basement, who knows...
  • Also, tell me is some of these keyboards a mechanical keyboard? Tnx!
    1. chicony - model kb-7906
    2. fcc - model 5140
    3. pcx - model f-21sq
    4. cherry - model 322
    5.-chicony - model kb-9810

Icarium

22 Jan 2013, 10:05

I can't tell from the part numbers. Unless somebody happens to have the same board, I doubt they will.

vedranius

22 Jan 2013, 10:12

Icarium wrote:I can't tell from the part numbers. Unless somebody happens to have the same board, I doubt they will.
Sent you a PM :)

Jmneuv

22 Jan 2013, 12:00

very interesting switch - and it's mx cap compatible?
how does it feel, probably linear?

(please forget about the dishwasher :P, manual labor it is)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

22 Jan 2013, 14:07

Neat, I was attempting to get a board like this a while ago, but wasn't aggressive enough.

I haven't done enough reading to firmly say it. But I don't think it is correct to call this board Hall Effect, since there is no Hall Effect Sensor used to detect the field. Rather the ferrite is transferring a current from one wire to the other in the presence of a magnetic field of sufficient strength.
I have to run, but there's a patent number on a Xerox keyboard that I have (ITW/RAFI magnetic switches) that explains how the sensing works.

Icarium

22 Jan 2013, 14:33

Sounds like the sensing is still based on the hall effect (as in the voltage that is built up to counteract the lorence force) even if there is no dedicated hall effect sensor. But it is definitely an interesting and unconventional design. I assume it must have been created at some point when they were trying to make keyboards cheaper but didn't really know how yet and that it was quickly replaced by other even cheaper technologies.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

22 Jan 2013, 15:03

I can't substantiate this (wasn't exactly alive at the time), but apparently ferrite cores were super cheap at the time, but then the cheap supply disappeared...and costs went up significantly.

Here's the patent I was talking about:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4263582

Switch patents themselves.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4017850
http://www.google.com/patents/US4227163
http://www.google.com/patents/US4295012

Did a quick patent search on ADI, and haven't found anything.

teeno7

08 Dec 2014, 13:39

Hi guys,

I had an ADI keyboard back in 1989 with "Cherry" keys (This is when I came to know of Cherry - logo and brand name were present). It was slightly newer than the one shown here, with no F keys on the left, and nicer keycaps (rounder style).

inozenz

14 Apr 2021, 16:07

Hi Guys,

I know this post is really old, but i happend to get the same board gifted to me and it's in almost perfect condition and super clean.
But when i plug it into my PC the coursor jumps around on key press.
Would the soarers converter help?
I have a few teensys laying around.

fabs0

15 Apr 2021, 20:07

I have two ADI terminal keyboards and did not get them running with soarers.
does anyone know if they use some different protocol or pinout?

I just get random keypresses like a cat sitting on it ;)

Return to “Keyboards”