Accidently bought an ALPS switch keyboard, and I love it

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Feb 2013, 00:08

And I might be an Alps man now. I really enjoy typing on this thing. I bought an Apple IIGS keyboard off Ebay thinking it was a rubber dome keyboard, but it turns out to be an Alps. Some sort of white, non-clicky Alps switch. I really enjoy typing on this thing compared to any Cherry switch keyboard that I've tried. And I have used Cherry Black, Red, Blue and Clear.

This sort of thing happen to anybody else? I mean, become a huge fan of Alps switches after using only Cherry switches?

I only wish the world had more ergonomic Alps keyboards. Or any at all.

Cafeine

04 Feb 2013, 00:12

Well, one of the "best" keyboard ever made, according to some people like Gruber is the Ext II Mac Keyboard. DAT SOUND. :p

Mrinterface

04 Feb 2013, 00:16

Try the Apple extended 2 simulator!

http://www.mrinterface.com/keyboardsims ... index.html

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2013, 00:17

The real question is why were you buying a rubber dome keyboard? Banhammer!

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 00:31

prdlm2009 wrote:And I might be an Alps man now. I really enjoy typing on this thing. I bought an Apple IIGS keyboard off Ebay thinking it was a rubber dome keyboard, but it turns out to be an Alps. Some sort of white, non-clicky Alps switch. I really enjoy typing on this thing compared to any Cherry switch keyboard that I've tried. And I have used Cherry Black, Red, Blue and Clear.

This sort of thing happen to anybody else? I mean, become a huge fan of Alps switches after using only Cherry switches?

I've typed on Alps before I ever touched a Cherry keyboard, but then came the dark era of the rubberdome ...

For typing they are the best you can buy new. However there exist evenm better switches in historic keyboards ...

The only reason to use Cherry are:
- long lasting
- many key caps are available
- help me selling switches

BUT:
+ Alps Matias are rated to last 40*10^6 actuations, which is quite close to what Cherry claims. We will see if that is right (if yes, it is no longer an argument for Cherry).

+ With the help of Mr. Interface, there will be converters really soo, and maybe an even better solution ...

+ With all 2 types of Alps Matias switches really soon in stock, I no longer need to sell Cherry MX switches.

:-)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Feb 2013, 00:37

webwit wrote:The real question is why were you buying a rubber dome keyboard? Banhammer!
Yea, I know. Nostalgia purposes. On the thread "Favorite Rubber Dome" keyboard I remember this keyboard I used in elementary school with these keys shaped like a top hat. I typed really fast on that keyboard and it obviously left an impression on me. So plenty of space between each key that would prevent accidental key presses.

So I found the exact keyboard model through a bit of search on Google, then I found the keyboard on Ebay. Bought it, took off a keycap, and BAM! I got myself an Alps keyboard by accident. No wonder I loved the keyboard. I was a mechanical keyboard lover for all my life, just didn't know it. Typing on it now, and I love this thing.

Only complaint: no function keys. I will live.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Feb 2013, 01:03

7bit wrote:
prdlm2009 wrote:And I might be an Alps man now. I really enjoy typing on this thing. I bought an Apple IIGS keyboard off Ebay thinking it was a rubber dome keyboard, but it turns out to be an Alps. Some sort of white, non-clicky Alps switch. I really enjoy typing on this thing compared to any Cherry switch keyboard that I've tried. And I have used Cherry Black, Red, Blue and Clear.

I've typed on Alps before I ever touched a Cherry keyboard, but then came the dark era of the rubberdome ...

For typing they are the best you can buy new. However there exist evenm better switches in historic keyboards ...

- long lasting

BUT:
+ Alps Matias are rated to last 40*10^6 actuations, which is quite close to what Cherry claims. We will see if that is right (if yes, it is no longer an argument for Cherry).

+ With the help of Mr. Interface, there will be converters really soo, and maybe an even better solution ...

+ With all 2 types of Alps Matias switches really soon in stock, I no longer need to sell Cherry MX switches.

Thanks for the info. My recent experience may lead me to purchase one of those Matias compact quiet keyboards. I love the feel. And I can put these top hat keys on that board if I so please!

mintberryminuscrunch

04 Feb 2013, 10:22

7bit wrote:

- long lasting

BUT:

Don't go over to the dark side!

mintberryminuscrunch

04 Feb 2013, 10:22

7bit wrote:

- long lasting

BUT:

Don't go over to the dark side!

Icarium

04 Feb 2013, 10:35

So which switch is it? :) White complicated Alps?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Feb 2013, 23:45

Icarium wrote:

So which switch is it? :) White complicated Alps?
Honestly, I don't have a clue. All I know is that it's white and non-clicky. Actually, it might be a Cream Alps, because I just checked the wiki and apparently white Alps is clicky.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Feb 2013, 00:00

webwit wrote:The real question is why were you buying a rubber dome keyboard? Banhammer!
That's what I was thinking ;-)
prdlm2009 wrote:Honestly, I don't have a clue. All I know is that it's white and non-clicky. Actually, it might be a Cream Alps, because I just checked the wiki and apparently white Alps is clicky.
Sure it's not an SMK?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakespot/8053556830/

Although he calls it "Alps", it's the [wiki]SMK Alps mount[/wiki] switch. The clicky version is blue, and called a "Monterey". Apple tended by and large to prefer tactile switches over clicky.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Feb 2013, 01:18

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
That's what I was thinking ;-)
prdlm2009 wrote:Honestly, I don't have a clue. All I know is that it's white and non-clicky. Actually, it might be a Cream Alps, because I just checked the wiki and apparently white Alps is clicky.
Sure it's not an SMK?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakespot/8053556830/

Although he calls it "Alps", it's the [wiki]SMK Alps mount[/wiki] switch. The clicky version is blue, and called a "Monterey". Apple tended by and large to prefer tactile switches over clicky.
Thanks. Yea, that's the keyboard and the switch. It's definitely an SMK. I really enjoy typing on it and I might buy another Apple IIGS keyboard or two, because you never know when these vintage keyboard will stop working.

Icarium

05 Feb 2013, 10:09

Shoot me a PM if you find another and don't want it. ;)

Jim66

05 Feb 2013, 14:42

Are they white rubber dampened ALPS? I used to LOVE orange ALPS.

tlt

05 Feb 2013, 17:08

I'm getting more and more interested in Alps. I hope Hyper Mini will have support for Alps in that Swiss cheese PCB :-)

Jim66

05 Feb 2013, 17:13

ALPS don't seem to fair as well as MX with use over time - that's kind of a turn off.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Feb 2013, 22:24

Jim66 wrote:Are they white rubber dampened ALPS? I used to LOVE orange ALPS.
They're not Alps, they're SMK. Same family as Monterey switches, but the tactile version.

The damped ones were (at least mostly) cream.

Return to “Keyboards”