Want to exchange Filco case for an aluminium one, questions

~Blood~

02 Mar 2013, 17:18

Hi,

I want to exchange my plastic standard Filco case for this one:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/ind ... tail&p=212

Did anyone do this already? Is it a lot of work, do I have to resolder anything?

regards

bigfatmc

02 Mar 2013, 22:49

I don't think you should have to desolder anything. Basically just take your filco case off and put the pcb in the aluminum one. I read that the first cases weren't the best fitting though.

~Blood~

02 Mar 2013, 22:58

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Do you know if the latter cases were any better?

bigfatmc

03 Mar 2013, 16:28

I haven't read any recent complaints so I think they fixed it atleast to some extent. You always have to be careful with vortex stuff though :P

realex

03 Mar 2013, 20:32

i think the main problem was that they were missing feet, or at least a batch of them. afaik they fit well.

aggiejy

07 Mar 2013, 06:31

FYI, I bought a case from the first release. It fit just fine for my Filco. (I think very few had any problems, and most were easily fixed.) No one in the first batch got feet, but they actually just sent them last week.

You don't have to desolder anything... simply remove the single screw in the back of your Filco (under the sticker) and then pop the case off with a butter knife or something. (It has clips) The guts come out easily, and you put it in the vortex and screw it together. Easy peasy.

It's a very nice heavy case for the price. Mine was over 4 pounds. Awesome alternative to a more expensive Korean custom keyboard or some other "nicer" aluminum cases.

bigfatmc

09 Mar 2013, 12:11

Does anyone know if the vortex cases fit the CM storm QFR aswell?

Return to “Keyboards”