Greystoke

09 Apr 2013, 19:34

Anyone seen these keyboards before? Ad says "Gerkonic" and "Tesla."
Tesla.JPG
Tesla.JPG (407.91 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
Tesla 2.JPG
Tesla 2.JPG (394.39 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-vintage-ger ... 1211726868
Last edited by Greystoke on 11 Apr 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

milankooo1978

09 Apr 2013, 23:44

TESLA is not russian brand, but ex-Czechoslovakia, most of the factories were in Slovakia actually.
they made home computers and various electronics back in eighties and nineties
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_%28company%29

mbodrov

09 Apr 2013, 23:48

...and when they say "gerkonic", they really want to say "reed switch" (ger-metic kon-tact i.e. hermetic contact)
Last edited by mbodrov on 09 Apr 2013, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Apr 2013, 23:48

Funny how the PF keys just say "PF" in their funny letters ;-)

Greystoke

10 Apr 2013, 00:43

I'll have to keep an eye out for a complete Tesla keyboard when I'm next in Slovakia. Even if I couldn't manage to make it work with a modern PC, the sheer cool factor for having a Tesla-branded computer item is off the charts.

milankooo1978

10 Apr 2013, 01:12

Greystoke wrote:I'll have to keep an eye out for a complete Tesla keyboard when I'm next in Slovakia. Even if I couldn't manage to make it work with a modern PC, the sheer cool factor for having a Tesla-branded computer item is off the charts.
I think that keyboards are ultra rare nowadays, maybe you could be rather interested in TESLA computers which might be available on some local auction sites, something like this: http://www.root.cz/clanky/ceskoslovensk ... sh-pmd-85/

If you are really so interested in such thing,let me know,I might be able to get one for you, but just don't think I'll send it to you by mail, cos it's way too heavy :)))

Greystoke

10 Apr 2013, 02:47

milankooo1978 wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I'll have to keep an eye out for a complete Tesla keyboard when I'm next in Slovakia. Even if I couldn't manage to make it work with a modern PC, the sheer cool factor for having a Tesla-branded computer item is off the charts.
I think that keyboards are ultra rare nowadays, maybe you could be rather interested in TESLA computers which might be available on some local auction sites, something like this: http://www.root.cz/clanky/ceskoslovensk ... sh-pmd-85/

If you are really so interested in such thing,let me know,I might be able to get one for you, but just don't think I'll send it to you by mail, cos it's way too heavy :)))
Thanks! I've got relatives in Slovakia who may be able to locate one for me, but if that doesn't pan out I'll let you know!

I appreciate the linked information! Any idea which Tesla model/keyboard might have had the switches in the pictures above? The PCB doesn't look like it came from a Tesla Ondra, and all the PMD-85 models I've seen have staggered keys, without the vertical modifier (?) row or number pad arrangement seen above. Maybe it's from a Didaktik Alfa?

PMD-85-1
PMD_85-1.jpg
PMD_85-1.jpg (105.69 KiB) Viewed 6799 times

milankooo1978

10 Apr 2013, 09:45

Greystoke wrote:
milankooo1978 wrote:

Thanks! I've got relatives in Slovakia who may be able to locate one for me, but if that doesn't pan out I'll let you know!

I appreciate the linked information! Any idea which Tesla model/keyboard might have had the switches in the pictures above? The PCB doesn't look like it came from a Tesla Ondra, and all the PMD-85 models I've seen have staggered keys, without the vertical modifier (?) row or number pad arrangement seen above. Maybe it's from a Didaktik Alfa?

PMD-85-1
PMD_85-1.jpg
this will need an in-depth search, to find out. also it may be the case where the Tesla company was sub-contracted by any russian company, so the Tesla provided keyboards and the rest of the computer (?) was manufactured in Russia.
I'll come back to this later today and let you know if I find the proper answers :D

gunnish

10 Apr 2013, 22:18

Good looking one, but the spacebar doesn't quite fit in with the rest. Really nice colors.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

11 Apr 2013, 06:59

I've ordered one of them, so I'll take a peak at the protocol once I get back to California.

Greystoke

11 Apr 2013, 14:40

HaaTa wrote:I've ordered one of them, so I'll take a peak at the protocol once I get back to California.
I'd be curious to know what you find out! I contacted the seller to ask about complete units, with cases. He's looking into his source for these, but he did say that according to the original seller, the case is "all metal, about 3kg weight." Gotta love massively overbuilt machines!

7bit

11 Apr 2013, 15:29

If there are more available, I would be interested in one!
:-)

ps: Please change the title to:
Czechoslovakian Hall-Effect switches?

Parak

11 Apr 2013, 15:53

Oh, #$@%.

Comrades, beware keyboard. Contains key results in Gulag.

Okeg

11 Apr 2013, 22:54

Parak wrote:Oh, #$@%.

Comrades, beware keyboard. Contains key results in Gulag.

I knew it all along, stalin's to blame for this!

Greystoke

17 Apr 2013, 14:44

Greystoke wrote:
HaaTa wrote:I've ordered one of them, so I'll take a peak at the protocol once I get back to California.
I'd be curious to know what you find out! I contacted the seller to ask about complete units, with cases. He's looking into his source for these, but he did say that according to the original seller, the case is "all metal, about 3kg weight." Gotta love massively overbuilt machines!
I finally heard back from the seller, he said that his source no longer has the keyboard case(s). Quote;

"Hi, I have not cases sorry.

The previous owner gave it to the smelting of metal..."

:cry:

Icarium

17 Apr 2013, 14:57

Damn that is awesome. I'd love to get my hands on one of those. :)

milankooo1978

19 Apr 2013, 11:46

just another nice machine "made in Czechoslovakia"
http://pocitace.aukro.cz/pocitac-zvt-sm ... 50999.html
Attachments
pp01.jpg
pp01.jpg (89.93 KiB) Viewed 6374 times

Icarium

19 Apr 2013, 12:06

Hey, it has a 7bit spacebar. :p

Okeg

01 May 2013, 15:42

I'm planning to order one, and I was wondering if any scandinavia friends wanted to share shipping? He has 3 boards left.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 May 2013, 23:42

That spacebar is nuts ...

In addition to making the spacebar impossible to hit, they also expect you to type CR and LF separately … the Sadomasochist Keyboard.

JBert

02 May 2013, 18:01

Sadomasochist keyboard? I'd say it's just pro-choice, you can choose for every line whether to type a Mac, Unix or Windows line ending...

Okeg

07 May 2013, 23:10

I ordered the other 3(2 of them will be distributed to my friends).
I'll take some photos and do some measuring.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

10 May 2013, 04:19

Nice :D

Mine arrived a while ago, but I am currently on another continent ATM :P

Okeg

10 May 2013, 13:09

Finaly, I have more of a vintage keyboard than HaaTa :p

Okeg

23 May 2013, 18:10

mine arrived, incoming pictures of the switches and a key, also a little comparasion to normal he's since this seems to be another switch.

switch: http://www.imgur.com/w1Vc8WD.jpeg

keys (? left, HE right): http://www.imgur.com/PzZ1SLr.jpeg
so, whatcha say? it kinda reminds me of very early cherry swotches.

Return to “Keyboards”