Sending a Model M for repairs

Sam Pellegrino

14 May 2013, 21:21

My trusty Model M from 1993 has multiple issues and I'm sending it to Unicomp to be fixed up.

(If you care, it is a 1391401 with a detachable PS/2 cord, blue logo and two-part keycaps. I got her when you could still buy these things on eBay for pennies.)

So how do I ship this thing? What do I use to pack this thing? The Unicomp employee suggested I just take it to the UPS Store and have them do it. But I think it would be better that I did it.

Any ideas?

tlt

14 May 2013, 21:39

I think bubble wrap is the best packing material. If you need a box with special dimension just make it your self out of cardboard, I have used old moving boxes. Make sure that it hold together, I use glue and a lot of tape ;-). Make sure that the box is bigger that the item with a margin to take the hit if something pointy hits it. The whole box should be filled with packing materials so that the item does not move around and ends up in a corner or the box. Or let UPS do it, they are probably good at it as its there job :-)

domin8r

15 May 2013, 11:18

It's a Model M, it will be fine.. I've had people just send me one in a big cardboard box without any padding whatsoever and it was still fine :D

JBert

15 May 2013, 13:09

:shock:

They are hard to break, but not unbreakable. The caps might come loose, the case might get cracked, ...
Do you really want to leave it to some postal guy to break your keyboard?

domin8r

15 May 2013, 13:17

JBert wrote::shock:

They are hard to break, but not unbreakable. The caps might come loose, the case might get cracked, ...
Do you really want to leave it to some postal guy to break your keyboard?
Oh definitely not.. If I would send it I would pad it up properly for sure!

Icarium

15 May 2013, 13:28

Are you sure that you can't just get a new one for less?

E TwentyNine

15 May 2013, 16:32

What's wrong with it?

16 May 2013, 00:43

I've used UPS to pack and ship keyboards before and never had a problem. However, if you're going to do it yourself, wrap the keyboard in bubble-wrap and pack it snugly in a box using styrofoam packaging peanuts.

GH1391401

17 May 2013, 05:52

I would just fix it myself unless the issue is something that requires unicomp expertise

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

19 May 2013, 16:35

I think the most important thing is to ensure that the keys do not get stuck in the pressed down position for extended periods of time. Other than that, bubble wrap to ensure the case doesn't get damaged.

Return to “Keyboards”