Cherry RS-6600 is this mechanical?

ZombieDenden

19 Jun 2013, 04:26

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new cheap mechanical keyboard with a US layout as I have just moved back to Australia from Germany. And I sold my German boards.

I'm short on funds so im looking for something cheap to fill the void until i have some cash again (2 months or so).

I found this board is pretty common at the moment but I'm having trouble finding out if it is even a mechanical board and if so, which switches it uses.

Does anyone know?

Otherwise does anyone have some advice on where i should look for something in the $15-$30 range (incl. postage)

Cheers,
Dennis

mintberryminuscrunch

19 Jun 2013, 06:46

It is rubber dome.
The mechanical ones have all MX#### model numbers. Could sell you a cheap iso board, but shipping would be too expensive anyway ...

robin13867

20 Jun 2013, 16:35

Just for info - RS = RUBBER SHEET - this will be a G83-6xxx series model of some form, in performing a quick check, it's a G83-6644 smartcard keyboard and is designed to be a low-cost model....

For Cherry, it's doubtful you'll find a $15-30 mechanical keyboard - at that range, it'll be rubber sheet only, sorry...!!

davkol

22 Jun 2013, 20:17

I guess it's an G83, a piece of poo in other words. On the other hand, G86-22000 is quite nice.

robin13867

25 Jun 2013, 11:46

davkol wrote:I guess it's an G83, a piece of poo in other words. On the other hand, G86-22000 is quite nice.
Ooohh..harsh!! Actually, the G83 series isn't bad - okay, they're not mechanical, but don't have a bad action in all honesty. Some time ago (10 years ish..), we changed the rubber sheet underneath to give it a more tactile feel and it improved it no end. It's not dissimilar to the G86 really, though I do agree that the G86-22000 has the edge.

No substitute for a G80 though :lol:

ماء

25 Jun 2013, 13:14

what switch,rubber dome cherry?

davkol

09 Oct 2013, 22:51

Small necrobump...

I have to give credit to Cherry for using PBT keycaps on at least some G83-series boards, and tactility certainly is there, but holy [whatever deity you like], it's stiff and mushy/scratchy at the same time. I can live with modern reds/blacks and clears, although none of them are really smooth, but this is horrible. I was glad I didn't have to spend more time in the library using it today.

Return to “Keyboards”