Found this on Kickstarter

StressedOutCat

04 Aug 2013, 01:47

I found this on Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... th-integra

Not sure how effective this really is for FPS gaming as they claim
but that probably comes down to personal preference

also the keys don't seem to be mechanical and from the video they seem to have allot of wobble to them
(probably robber dome keys)

doubtful this will even get Kickstarted, I think the amount they are asking is to much
but great to see new custom keyboard designs.

anyway figure I share it on here to get a conversation going :)

ne0phyte
Toast.

04 Aug 2013, 02:00

$250 and no mechanical switches :o
You can see the PCB when you scroll down on the Kickstarter page.
Spoiler:
And the video is a few seconds about the keyboard and then people telling me how awesome it is and that it is the future.

And their serious gamers seem pretty... old. Most serious paid/sponsored gamers are really young. They should've asked some people who play for a living :lol:
Last edited by ne0phyte on 04 Aug 2013, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Aug 2013, 02:12

From the photos on the page (near the bottom) he appears to be using little pushbutton microswitches. I don't see how that can possibly work; there does appear to be a layer above to mount the keycaps, but how does he get more than 1 mm travel and enough concentrated force to actuate the buttons?

There's also no suggestion for why he's using Hebrew keycaps …

Weird.

shrapneL

04 Aug 2013, 02:47

I had to make sure he said "serious" gamers and not "professional" gamers. I guess I can believe it, but I'm sure they were very biased in how they answered. The keyboard looks like it was based off of an ergodox type keyboard as well. He is also trying to get it patented... hmmm.

I noticed on his prototype that the keys had lettered stickers on them. Oh, and not mechanical? Haha... What a jokester! :lol:

Vierax

04 Aug 2013, 07:04

It's weird, April 1st isn't near…

The num function row is weird placed and it keep the cranky staggering of classic kb's letter rows. The thumb functions seems great but that's all : I still prefer Jeff's Cladeon :)

jeff

04 Aug 2013, 13:06

Vierax : Thanks for support ;-)

I still don't undestand how his man could imagine get 700000 $ with this idea. It's funny to do it as DIY project but trying to sell it, it's weird.

I see lot of details that let me think "talons" not really usable. For example key position and size, layout, thumb trackball, mouse button position... He tries to create a new keyboard concept but remaing stuck to old ideas.

Reading GH and DT could have help him a bit. He got a patent (on which parts ?) for and idea that seems not to being new, even if he claims it's "a never-seen-before" (http://forum.bepo.fr/viewtopic.php?pid=6166#p6166, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=388 ... #msg755486 and http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=388 ... #msg754839 for the most recent one).

Courageous project, but I'm not sure it will be the one that will create a new keyboard wave.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2013, 13:31

jeff wrote:Reading GH and DT could have help him a bit.
Exactly. There's an instinct many people have of, once they've dreamed up something by themselves, not wanting to go out and check up on it with other people, to see what they think. It spoils the sense of authorship and mad geniusness, I guess!

(Not that I would know anything about this first hand, of course. Ahem. No, no sir…)

hoggy

04 Aug 2013, 17:41

jeff wrote: I still don't undestand how his man could imagine get 700000 $ with this idea. It's funny to do it as DIY project but trying to sell it, it's weird.
Especially when you see the guy behind the combimouse working his backside off trying to make the most out of a tiny fraction of that outrageous sum.

ne0phyte
Toast.

05 Aug 2013, 12:10

I feel a bit sorry, but I thought he should know why he's barely getting any backers.
Let's see if/how he addresses our arguments.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... nt-3922406

input

05 Aug 2013, 15:29

ne0phyte wrote:I feel a bit sorry, but I thought he should know why he's barely getting any backers.
Let's see if/how he addresses our arguments.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... nt-3922406
You are mean, crushing a mans dreams :evilgeek:

All totally legitimate points and at least he knows why it will fail now, so maybe not so mean

cookie

05 Aug 2013, 15:37

With just 10 Minutes of propper research they woul'd know all points mentioned... So it's not crushing dreams it's telling the obvious!

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2013, 15:58

He can still dream. It will just be about a better keyboard. You're allowed to design more than one in a lifetime!

BimboBB

05 Aug 2013, 21:28

I stopped watching when I realized that these guys are gaming with a trackball.....seriously! :roll:

ne0phyte
Toast.

06 Aug 2013, 12:29

He didn't answer the comments since july 27th. I wonder if he will respond at all or if he gave up the project already :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Aug 2013, 13:05

c'mon $700,000... how could it be real? :)

Vierax

06 Aug 2013, 13:43

BimboBB wrote:I stopped watching when I realized that these guys are gaming with a trackball.....seriously! :roll:
The best device depends what type of game you play.
A graphic pen tablet in absolute mode for playing RTS is IMO the best.
A Seimitsu/Sanwa arcade stickpad rules in most of (retro) 2D games.
A trackball is more comfortable than mouse for games which doesn't need speed and reflexes as turn-based strategy or business games.
I personally play Minecraft with a trackball and it's not so bad (obviously I'm not an FPS gamer). But the major difference with my kensington orbit and this weird device is the size of the ball which is too small on his.

ne0phyte
Toast.

06 Aug 2013, 13:51

I play osu! with a graphics tablet and use my mouse for everything else. I also have a 3M Ergonomic Mouse for when my wrist hurts but you can't really play with that :P

ne0phyte
Toast.

11 Aug 2013, 11:03

Looks like he abandoned the project lol. Still no reaction in the comments :lol:

Burz

19 Aug 2013, 10:27

"Revolutionary"...staggered layout. LOL

Return to “Keyboards”