Model M in "Source Code"?

Grond

06 May 2011, 00:04

I saw "Source Code" today. I won't spoil the plot, but the movie involves a fictional US governative program with hi-tech headquarters... well, I think I spotted a black Model M13 in it! There was a close-up on the keyboard, which sported a red trackpoint. The shot was so quick I can't be sure it was actually a Model M... still I like to think a hommage like this is possible, while nowadays most gadgets get into movies just for advertising!

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

06 May 2011, 19:19

Yep, this was spotted in a trailer for said film on Geekhack a while back.

The Solutor

07 May 2011, 15:05

I also noticed it...

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jun 2011, 20:20

Zorin seems to be using a Philips keyboard.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

27 Jun 2011, 23:40

Goldeneye features quite a large number of Model Ms.

The Solutor

28 Jun 2011, 03:06

daedalus wrote:Goldeneye features quite a large number of Model Ms.

Goldeneye was a big IBM commercial, every computer on the movie was clearly running OS2, at the time the victory of Win95 was just guessed and OS2 was still a (not too) serious contender.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jul 2011, 23:20

Miami Vice did Commodore Amiga product placement.
Jan Hammer did his stuff on an Amiga. Hopefully the one with Cherry switches :)

Findecanor

09 Jul 2011, 23:38

I remember that in one episode if Miami Vice, they cracked an encrypted file using GPFax - an Amiga program for sending telefax. Twice, the same startup screen menu was shown with the program's name clearly visible. Only the startup menu with the main options: no password or anything.

In the movie Contact with Jodie Foster, she is using a Datahand inside the pod. (What was it that webwit wrote about the Datahand and encountering space aliens? ;) ) You can also see the Kinesis Advantage and the Kinesis Advantage Pro in several places.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Nov 2011, 00:53

David Banner seems to be using an IBM Model F XT at 0:18. A man of science.

nathanscribe

18 Nov 2011, 01:29

I think this has to be the most realistic portrayal of raw computing power in any film, ever. There's a wonderful moment when they all go ape because one of them has a 28.8K modem. Who knew such things could happen?

kps

18 Nov 2011, 03:13

webwit wrote:Zorin seems to be using a Philips keyboard.
Seems to be bottoming out a little.

Findecanor

18 Nov 2011, 12:48

I sooo hate that Angelina Jolie-movie. The music was good, though... the only somewhat authentic thing in that movie.

ripster

18 Nov 2011, 17:37

Those Angelina Jolie movies.........just FILLED with keyboards

lal

18 Nov 2011, 22:47

nathanscribe wrote: [..."Hackers" trailer...]
That is without a doubt the absolutely worst and most unrealistic computer related movie I've ever seen. And I've seen "Colossus: The Forbin Project". Actually I'm going to watch Colossus again right now. You should too. Have you ever seen a school where the computer nerds were the coolest, hippest guys of them all? Right. That so called "Hackers" movie is utterly stupid. Anyone liking it just proves how much s/he's *not* a geek. What a huge pile of crap.

mintberryminuscrunch

18 Nov 2011, 23:15

ripster

18 Nov 2011, 23:24

The Dr. has used many a different keyboard.

But the typewriter printer is the best movie prop.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2398 ... -Sightings

nathanscribe

18 Nov 2011, 23:34

lal wrote:That so called "Hackers" movie is utterly stupid. Anyone liking it just proves how much s/he's *not* a geek. What a huge pile of crap.
Not even in an ironic sense..? OK, yes, it's awful, but it might be the kind of awful that's worth cracking out with a few beers once in a while. Not a patch on Wargames though. I've seen that too many times, if such a thing is possible.

Dr Who? Ah, Jo. And Leela. And Romana. Good times. I'm currently watching them all, chronologically, and after 18 months have got nearly to the end of Tom Baker. Must... carry... on! Nngh!

nathanscribe

18 Nov 2011, 23:47

webwit wrote:Jan Hammer did his stuff on an Amiga.
If by Amiga you mean Fairlight, yes.

From an interviewin 2004:
"...by the time Miami Vice came round, I had a 16-track machine and later a 24-track. I was doing everything to tape, though there were some sequences set up on the Fairlight CMI which were also recorded to tape. I also had some early music programs running on an IBM PC — there was Roger Powell's Texture — but there was really no way to record all the MIDI parts in the way we do today, so all the keyboard parts were played in live. For the first year of Miami Vice, I didn't even have any sync setup so I just ran everything wild — I'd press Start on the video remote and then try to fly it in. If it didn't work, I'd have to start the take again. By the second year I got a proper SMPTE sync setup so it was all much easier after that.

"Gated drums were the fashion then, I suppose because of Phil Collins, and a lot of the sounds came from my own studio drum kit that were sampled into the Fairlight and then processed using heavy compression and gated Lexicon reverb. I still do all my own engineering — I'm very much a one-man operation really. I monitor for 80 percent of the time on NS10s because I'm used to the way they sound, though I also have a huge pair of JBLs the same as they used to have in the Trident studio, just to check out the bottom end."

Most of the Miami Vice soundtrack themes were not structured as complete pieces, so for the newly issued Complete Collection Jan had to write new parts, rerecord the original parts using his old Memorymoog and antique Fairlight, and in some case, knit cues together to create viable album tracks.
There's now an iOS Fairlight app... not quite the same, but substantially cheaper than buying a real one, used or new...

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Nov 2011, 23:56

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:anyone recognizes this one
http://brusimm.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... mb_web.jpg
That's no BBC Micro.. I guess just a prop.

Return to “Keyboards”