Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Mar 2014, 10:38

Broadmonkey wrote:You erhhh... have one? :shock:
I'm beta testing one.

(don't ask too much because I'm under NDA)

Monkay

10 Mar 2014, 10:43

What the hell.... It is really hard to hold back all the questions. I hope the type-feeling can hold up with Leopold and HHKB Topres.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

10 Mar 2014, 10:44

Fair enough, but it already answered my question if a competent man was on the job of beta testing one of these.

JBert

10 Mar 2014, 22:13

Ooh, seems they still work with a daughterboard. That means we could still have a programmable daughterboard if all goes well.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Mar 2014, 22:17

JBert wrote:Ooh, seems they still work with a daughterboard. That means we could still have a programmable daughterboard if all goes well.
no, no daughter board. The controller is on the main PCB. The headers you see are 1 for the USB extension cable, 1 for [I don't know but all topre keyboards have one, I guess is for programming/testing/debugging]

Kurk

10 Mar 2014, 22:59

Broadmonkey wrote:Fair enough, but it already answered my question if a competent man was on the job of beta testing one of these.
That's at least true for the ISO version ;)

JBert

11 Mar 2014, 09:13

matt3o wrote:no, no daughter board. The controller is on the main PCB. The headers you see are 1 for the USB extension cable, 1 for [I don't know but all topre keyboards have one, I guess is for programming/testing/debugging]
Ah. Guess I'll have to wait and see then...

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2014, 10:39

matt3o wrote:The headers you see are 1 for the USB extension cable, 1 for [I don't know but all topre keyboards have one, I guess is for programming/testing/debugging]
Wonder if anyone's risen to the challenge to reverse engineer that second port. Seems like the kind of place to put a programmable controller on all Topres.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2014, 10:45

Muirium wrote:
matt3o wrote:The headers you see are 1 for the USB extension cable, 1 for [I don't know but all topre keyboards have one, I guess is for programming/testing/debugging]
Wonder if anyone's risen to the challenge to reverse engineer that second port. Seems like the kind of place to put a programmable controller on all Topres.
Cast the Hasu's signal!

Hordak

11 Mar 2014, 12:27

Damn, can't wait to get my hands on one of these! Hope that CM will listen to it's user base and spare us the rubberized finish on this board, same as they did with the branding.

bpiphany

11 Mar 2014, 13:18

when I was investigating the RealForce PCB my conclusion was that one of the interfaces was connected to a programmable digital potentiometer. My guess is they use it for some kind of calibration. I don't know if you can tap into anything interesting through it...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2014, 13:26

the digital potentiometer is used to set the activation point

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2014, 13:28

Aha, Topre's (factory) adjustable actuation point! They did make at least one keyboard to demo changing it on the fly:
http://deskthority.net/post147179.html#p147179

Even if I could just play with actuation points on the standard controller, that's a fascinating port!

RiGS

14 Mar 2014, 11:29

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 11:41

Less chatter, mo clatter!

At least type on it, man! Gah. Unlikely you'd hear the thock in all that noise anyway.

cookie

14 Mar 2014, 11:53

A good colleague of me just ordered a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, after I told him to be pacient because of the novatouch (He liked my HHKB a lot). I wish he would have been more patient so I could try the keyboard that way :D

Coolermaster brought out some really nice stuff recently! I am so curios how the novatouch will feel compared to my HHKB.
And I can't wait to see Noppoo's fake topre product!

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 12:00

What switch did he go for in his QFR? If it was brown, he deserves a slap for impatience!

cookie

14 Mar 2014, 12:06

He ordered one with MX Black, he deserved a slap anyway :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2014, 12:15

blacks are the first step to getto-blue :)

cookie

14 Mar 2014, 12:24

You mean getto-red? :D

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 12:26

Get on the scene with ghetto green. The closest MX comes to buckling spring. I have both of course, and if only those IBMs could take MX mount caps too!

cookie

14 Mar 2014, 14:58

If I someday get the time to build my own 60% I'd probably go with ergo clears, vintage blacks or reds!
Why you need MX mount on an old IBM with PBT caps? They tend to last forever! :)

scottc

14 Mar 2014, 15:16

To be honest, I wish that any of my Cherry caps were as luxurious and long-lasting as my IBM ones! I'd actually prefer a buckling spring compatability mount for my Cherries. I like my IBMs to stay classy and original.

Actually, speaking of which... that's not a bad idea. Does anyone want to make some appropriately profiled MX-to-BS compatibility layers?

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 16:44

That adapter is on my pester list!

You're right about IBM caps being tremendously long lasting. But the trouble is that sphericals are what I really want. And I don't have a beam spring…

JohnVenture

15 Mar 2014, 02:26

If anyone's wondering ,the guy in the video seems to indicate availability 'within 3 to 4 months', 'for a yet unnanounced price'.

Wish they had made a 75% version of this, it's like gamers' 60%. And everyone knows 60% is the new black.

combataran

15 Mar 2014, 13:03

I'm pretty sure I heard a hundred and fifty USD somewhere after he said price. I could be wrong, though. My German isn't very good.

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2014, 13:34

That's what I've heard too. Not a bad price to get into Topre plus compatibility will all the caps 7bit can throw at you. If they get it right, this will be one must have keyboard.

But that rubber…

noobie94

15 Mar 2014, 14:42

I want the Novatouch so bad!!11! :lol: :lol:

Monkay

15 Mar 2014, 14:48

Well if everything works out fine there will be some nice group buys for some Novatouch-cases. (:

cookie

15 Mar 2014, 21:37

I don't think that a group buy is necessary I think that CM will supply all regions verry well.
I must say that I am also quite happy with the durability and quality of topre caps :)

Return to “Keyboards”