Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

Hypersphere

27 Aug 2014, 14:56

@Muirium: Are you saying that the stock caps on the HHKB are merely "meh"?

Although compatibility with the vast world of Cherry mx caps is a definite plus for the Novatouch, it is still a bit unfortunate that it is not also compatible with Topre caps.

Topre Enthusiast

27 Aug 2014, 14:59

Au contraire, mon frere.
I think he is saying that the Cooler Master stock caps are a bit meh, unlike Topre's stock caps.

Hypersphere

27 Aug 2014, 15:02

002 wrote: Au contraire, mon frere.
I think he is saying that the Cooler Master stock caps are a bit meh, unlike Topre's stock caps.
Yes, that does sound right!

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2014, 15:08

Yep. I'd just as rather buy a NovaTouch nude, without any caps on it, because the whole point of the keyboard is to showcase my own on a great switch. More of that in my review, when I get the final version and can start it!

Hypersphere

27 Aug 2014, 15:24

Muirium wrote: Yep. I'd just as rather buy a NovaTouch nude, without any caps on it, because the whole point of the keyboard is to showcase my own on a great switch. More of that in my review, when I get the final version and can start it!
CM could easily introduce a best-selling new model right away -- the CM NudeTouch.

barkweed

27 Aug 2014, 19:48

Muirium wrote: I'd just as rather buy a NovaTouch nude
Same here. I have zero use for the default abs crap, and already have a set of nice pbt dyesubs to put on instead, but I would be extremely surprised if CM decided to do this. :)

To me the RealForce is no alternative though, no matter the price, since I don't like its default caps (nor its fat case).

Monkay

29 Aug 2014, 11:09

Coolermaster now has an eventpage where you can sign up to be notified when the Novatouch releases http://event.coolermaster.com/signup/novatouch/

caligo

29 Aug 2014, 13:32

Monkay wrote: Coolermaster now has an eventpage where you can sign up to be notified when the Novatouch releases http://event.coolermaster.com/signup/novatouch/
That video at the top of the page though... CGI Topre switches assembling to the tunes of some kind of discount Inception soundtrack: Look, a switch! *braaaaahhhmmm!* *nananananana* Look, a keyboard! *braaaahhhhmmm!* :D

noesc

29 Aug 2014, 13:40

I have to say that I liked the video. Some parts are a little bit tacky and odd, but overall a good "hype me" video.

They're making a bold claim though: "An ultra smooth, tactile key process makes NovaTouch the best feeling keyboard on the market."

I hope to get my hands on one soon! =)

_PixelNinja

29 Aug 2014, 13:43

I found that quite pretentious if I am to be honest.

Hypersphere

29 Aug 2014, 14:57

The Novatouch looks good, but I think that the Realforce 87u and HHKB Pro 2 will remain as serious contenders.

Based on the images on the EK site, I thought the RF case looked too big until I had one sitting on my desk (although the previous occupant was my IBM XT keyboard). I also like the stock caps on the RF -- both the black and the white versions. However, my black RF now has a set of white HHKB caps for the alphas and numbers, and to me it looks great.

The HHKB Pro 2 will also remain a favorite for its many fine qualities -- especially its form factor, symmetry, and efficient/intuitive layout.

Nevertheless, I am eager try out the Novatouch. If it lives up to its claims, it will give other Topre-switch keyboards some serious competition.

Now, if CM were to come out with a 60% model with a steel plate, options for 55g switches and Bluetooth, and sufficient programmability or DIP switch settings for popular conversions (Colemak, Dvorak, HHKB, Mac), then they would really have something.

noesc

29 Aug 2014, 15:13

Hypersphere - I don't think that the NovaTouch will be an actual contender to RF / HHKB, but rather a "step on the way".
The same way light drugs are the gateway to heavier addictions (admittedly keyboards are not as bad on either your health or wallet ^^).

I see the NovaTouch as a great attempt and I'm really looking forwards to it. If for no other reason then to support companies who try to collaborate and open new possiblities for their costumers.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2014, 15:21

noesc wrote: (admittedly keyboards are not as bad on either your health or wallet ^^)
Speak for yourself. I've got a real caps problem…

But yeah, the NovaTouch is a breath of fresh air from both CM and Topre. It'll have excellent worldwide distribution compared to other Topre switch keyboards, and could well be the bestseller. It'll certainly make new Topre fans, as well as pleasing a few keyboard snobs like me who hadn't tried a CM board before!

Hypersphere

29 Aug 2014, 16:07

Just checked EK, and the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S models are back in stock. However, as I type this on my standard-model HHKB Pro 2 and contemplate the $356.00 price tag for the Type-S, I am inclined to save my money for a Novatouch. And I already have a set of Cherry mx dye-sub PBT caps.

Real competition always makes life more interesting.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 18:40

noesc wrote: Hypersphere - I don't think that the NovaTouch will be an actual contender to RF / HHKB, but rather a "step on the way".
The same way light drugs are the gateway to heavier addictions (admittedly keyboards are not as bad on either your health or wallet ^^).

I see the NovaTouch as a great attempt and I'm really looking forwards to it. If for no other reason then to support companies who try to collaborate and open new possiblities for their costumers.
I was able to get a Novatouch, and I have posted a brief review:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm- ... t8687.html

I agree with your prediction. Although it is nice to be able to put Cherry mx keycaps on a Topre-switch keyboard, I prefer the appearance, sound, and feel of the RF 87u to the CM Novatouch. Moreover, when I consider form factor and layout, the overall winner among Topre-switch boards for me is the HHKB Pro 2.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2014, 19:01

So, now you've tasted it, are you going to buy one? You didn't say.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 20:08

Muirium wrote: So, now you've tasted it, are you going to buy one? You didn't say.
Turns out I've already bought it. I don't like the Novatouch nearly as much as my RF 87u 55g or my HHKB Pro 2. Nevertheless, I may keep it as the main board for showcasing my dye-sub thick PBT Cherry keycaps. While it is not my favorite Topre-switch board, I like it better than most of my Cherry mx boards.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2014, 21:13

That's pretty much what they're going for: a better MX than MX.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 21:37

Muirium wrote: That's pretty much what they're going for: a better MX than MX.
Not hard to do, IMO. I've never been much of a fan of Cherry mx switches and keyboards. OTOH, there are some very nice keycap sets in the Cherry world. Perhaps the CM NT could be a marriage made in heaven (although not Type Heaven, which is already taken!). If CM works the kinks out of the present NT in a future release, they could have a rather good product.

noesc

05 Sep 2014, 00:11

So, something came in the mail today.
guvcview_image-44.jpg
guvcview_image-44.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
I don't have enough keycaps to fill it out enough, but hey, not bad for a random bag from SP :)
(please excuse the GH escape :/ )

Cheers!

Muirium
µ

05 Sep 2014, 00:34

Bet that's your own USB cable…

_PixelNinja

05 Sep 2014, 01:32

Gee I wonder what would make you think such a thing. :P

noesc

05 Sep 2014, 07:38

Yeah, it's my own cable. I haven't even unpacked the one that follows it yet.

Now I'm totally hooked at getting a nice spherical set from SP.. None of the GB has really tickled my fancy though..

Hypersphere

05 Sep 2014, 14:58

Seeing that black Fn key sandwiched between Win and Control intensifies my wish for keyboard developers to consider splitting that long Right Shift key and putting a 1x Fn key to the right of Right Shift. They should also arrange things so that Fn can be remapped or used in remappings of other keys. I've got my Novatouch remapped almost to my liking by reassigning Right Control as Fn, but now the Fn key is a dead key just taking up space.

Muirium
µ

05 Sep 2014, 15:58

2.75u right Shift is my least favourite key on the ubiquitous standard layout. 6.25u space bar is longer than I'd like, but that Shift is just egregious. There's a reason why every custom I design has an Fn key on its right edge. I can spare a stabiliser and get better ergonomics in one simple step!
noesc wrote: Yeah, it's my own cable. I haven't even unpacked the one that follows it yet.
Go on, try it out and see why!
noesc wrote: Now I'm totally hooked at getting a nice spherical set from SP.. None of the GB has really tickled my fancy though..
Ahem! Just imagine that, in red, black, white, grey… it's ordered.

Hypersphere

05 Sep 2014, 16:47

Muirium wrote: 2.75u right Shift is my least favourite key on the ubiquitous standard layout. 6.25u space bar is longer than I'd like, but that Shift is just egregious. There's a reason why every custom I design has an Fn key on its right edge. I can spare a stabiliser and get better ergonomics in one simple step!
<snip>

Yes, indeed. Score another point for the HHKB Pro 2!

noesc

05 Sep 2014, 23:27

Muirium wrote: Go on, try it out and see why!
I like the first impression of that cable. The angle of it is debatable though. I don't want to say too much since I'm not exactly sure what I'm allowed to talk about yet.
Muirium wrote: Ahem! Just imagine that, in red, black, white, grey… it's ordered.
I've seen your set on more then one occasion, you don't miss a chance to show them off ;)
I really like your set, but I feel that it's a bit too old-school for me. I want something more modern but with that retro touch! Just... a bit more "in your face, but with style".

Regards layouts, I'm all for a new standard with non of these dumb legacy stuff! But, until then, let's DIY!

Hypersphere

11 Sep 2014, 22:05

I have updated my review of the CM Novatouch:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm- ... t8687.html

One of the main new points is that some of the issues that are cited have probably arisen from Topre. After all, CM depends upon Topre to deliver new hybrid switches that meet or exceed certain standards of quality and consistency.

Muirium
µ

21 Oct 2014, 14:14

And here's mine:

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/a-tal ... t8968.html

Loads of pictures of the sliders and insides for those who want a peek.

cookie

29 Oct 2014, 17:31

Verry nice review!
It seems that CM screwed it up a bit, verry sad concidered that a novatouch is 200€ :(

Return to “Keyboards”