Keyboard identification

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jan 2014, 11:50

Hello keyboard experts,

I can`t find out anything really about this Hewlett-Packard keyboard I bought last year. The board looks new, I paid about 10 Euros for it. I can`t test it due to the connector, it has a smaller variation SDL type connector. I would also be interested to know what kind of switch I am looking at here? There is nothing in the wiki on this board. I hope the pictures are good enough.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by seebart on 29 Jan 2014, 13:12, edited 4 times in total.

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2014, 11:55

The exposed switches look like rubber domes to me, but I am far from the best at identifying these around here. Strange cable though. A clear photograph of its connector would be useful.

seebart

29 Jan 2014, 12:27

is the last picture clear enough?

Kurk

29 Jan 2014, 12:43

I've seen these board before. The detachable cable seems to use the same SDL connector as IBM'm model M. What's the connector on the other side? PS/2 ?

seebart

29 Jan 2014, 12:54

this is what the back looks like. Yes it is a SDL, but smaller than the IBM one. The cable is not detachable and there is another SDL port.

kps

29 Jan 2014, 17:00

Ah, that's HP-HIL.

HIL is complicated, like ADB or USB, not simple like PS/2. Bitsavers has a copy of the manual describing it, but HP used a pair of custom driver ICs for the physical layer, so building a modern converter would be more than a weekend project without one.

A PS/2 version of the keyboard also exists. Mine is HP C1405B, but that may differ for other layouts.

It is a rubber dome.
Last edited by kps on 29 Jan 2014, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

29 Jan 2014, 20:27

kps, thank you for your insight.

Return to “Keyboards”