IBM Model M SSK variations

sean4star

15 Feb 2014, 04:02

Can anyone shed some light for me on the differences between the various versions of the SSK models? The only two that I know of with my limited experience are the 1395100 (made by Lexmark?) and the 1391472. Do they all have removable keycaps and cables? Are they all PBT dye-sub caps? Do they all have the extra legends for the tenkey and navigation keys? I tried looking in the wiki but the "variation" section was blank.

Also, how do you access the layer with the tenkey and navigation? I don't see a Fn key...

Daemon Raccoon

15 Feb 2014, 04:44

All Model M keyboards have dyesub caps, but legends and two piece caps vary by production run, intended purpose, and year. As far as I know there are no fixed-cable SSKs.

Shift+ScrLk accesses the NumLock functionality, though I've never quite figured out how the navigation part is accessed.

Kurk

15 Feb 2014, 17:41

The navigation functions are accessed by pressing SHIFT while in numpad mode. I don't know if it's possible to toggle between navigation and numbers like NumLock would do on full size keyboards.

Halvar

16 Feb 2014, 03:05

Mine is a Terminal SSK (1392980). That one has a fixed cable, and only F and J have removable keycaps.

E TwentyNine

13 Mar 2014, 02:50

Is it this one? http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=f8&wr_id=498

I mean is it that exact one, ID 2017513?

I'd be curious as hell as to why IBM would mix two and one piece keycaps on a production keyboard.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2014, 03:59

Possible because the keycaps with the nubs were not available in one part, or because they put on the bottom parts of the two-part keycaps on the f and j as reference points for the people or machines mounting the keycaps.

Halvar

13 Mar 2014, 11:17

E TwentyNine wrote:Is it this one? http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=f8&wr_id=498

I mean is it that exact one, ID 2017513?

I'd be curious as hell as to why IBM would mix two and one piece keycaps on a production keyboard.
No, this is the sticker on mine:

E TwentyNine

13 Mar 2014, 14:23

Interesting. The keyboard I linked with the same FJ keys has a date of July 88. Seems like a long time to have a characteristic unique to one particular variation of SSK.

I would have figure by 91 they'd simply all be one way or the other (with the nub style key available in either format).

Return to “Keyboards”