Razer releases "razer-brand" Cherry switch clones

scottc

06 Mar 2014, 17:30

Quote from Razer CEO's Facebook page:

"The all-new Razer Mechanical Switch - Green (Clicky) and Orange (Non-Clicky).

Designed from ground up for gaming."
...seriously?

What are the bets that they're just rebranded Kailh switches again like our friends at Thermaltake?

JBert

06 Mar 2014, 17:37

Good luck to anyone documenting Cherry-like switches in the future.

noobie94

06 Mar 2014, 17:55

Are switches like that any good? If not why?

scottc

06 Mar 2014, 18:53

They just look like Cherry clones with possibly lighter springs or maybe O-rings pre-installed. They might even be Kailh switches.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

06 Mar 2014, 19:20

I'm gonna barf! as if Razer is known for making quality products made for durability!
But I wonder if they can just get away with something like this? they even state they just copied the "original" mechanical switch (like there is only one) and made it with a shorter actuation point, which I guess they did by just altering the legs on the stem a bit.

But the funny thing is they bash the "original" switch for being made for typing, and yet they choose to copy an MX green?!?!

tlt

06 Mar 2014, 19:47

Can they actually make a clone without licencing the design from Cherry?

dorkvader

06 Mar 2014, 20:34

tlt wrote:Can they actually make a clone without licencing the design from Cherry?
Sure, why not? Chery doesn't have a trademark on the shape (like coke does on their bottle or zamboni does) and the cherry switch patent is from 1983, so it's far past he 20 year term.

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2014, 20:44

noobie94 wrote:Are switches like that any good? If not why?
Oh, no reason…
http://imgur.com/a/7ujle

wetto

06 Mar 2014, 20:58

Both Carter and Edgar Matias had already told me months ago that Razer was working with both Kailh and iOne to bring new keyboards with Cherry MX Clones with RGB backlighting.

Gentlemen, our worst nightmares are going to become true...

"The traditional switches were always designed for typing, not for the demands of gaming"...

Oh god... Here it comes..

"Durability increase to 60m keystrokess"...

Jesus christ, I'm going to puke.
Last edited by wetto on 06 Mar 2014, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2014, 21:12

Broadmonkey wrote: But the funny thing is they bash the "original" switch for being made for typing, and yet they choose to copy an MX green?!?!
Just to annoy us, I bet the colours are not the same as Cherry's. I mean, MX orange? They're probably aiming right at MX blue with their greens.

Julle

06 Mar 2014, 22:24

Brown and blue clones with different actuation points... Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?

I just cannot get over the smugness of the narrator's voice in that video. I usually support any development that occurs in mechanical keyboards but this is just smoke and mirrors. I'd rather disturb a hibernating bear than listen to that pompous cack again.

"We pioneered the first mechanical gaming keyboard". Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

BlueBär

06 Mar 2014, 22:38

Going to quote some stuff from over at GH if you don't mind:
Spoiler:
BlueBär wrote: Image

"If it comes down to play and skill, you know, all that matters, too, but, you know what it really comes down to is the tools that you use!"

You heard it here first folks.
Spoiler:
yasuo wrote: Image
Spoiler:
BlueBär wrote:
quake4mhg wrote: Shorter actuate point definitely helps in fast pace games.
I'll wait for them available in retail store, try on their arrow keys :D
To give you an idea how much 0,3mm is, take three pages of normal printer paper. I'm sure this is going to help a ton for gaming.
Spoiler:
BlueBär wrote:
Computer-Lab in Basement wrote: True, there are significant differences, but the concept behind both designs is similar: a higher actuating switch.
I'm still not convinced that the higher actuation isn't just a byproduct. Take a look at their data sheets:
http://www.kailh.com/en/products.asp?Ca ... 113&rel=14
Pretravel: 2.0 ± 0.6mm
-> The higher actuaction is well within the tolerances and could be just part of a production batch.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
BlueBär wrote:
Computer-Lab in Basement wrote: All Razer is doing here is saying that these new switches are specifically designed for gaming. But that's like saying a toilet is specifically designed for shitting. It doesn't make it a better product...
And I think it is even a straight up lie, too. The Kailh switches were designed as a copy of the Cherry switches. The thing that Razer changed here are the color of the switches and their name on it. I'm tempted to buy some Kailh Blues and compare them to the Razer Greens to prove this...
mougrim wrote: As for switches... I think they won't be worth Razer's price.
For comparison, a Newmen GM-10 with Kailh Blues (a TKL board) cost around ¥220.00 on Taobao (some evene only 170), that is about $36. Now the Razer BlackWidow TE (a TKL as well) on the other hand costs about $80.

scottc

06 Mar 2014, 22:40

Those are some fantastic quotes. :D Can't stop laughing!

Candyflip

06 Mar 2014, 23:10

Julle wrote:"We pioneered the first mechanical gaming keyboard". Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.
The thing is people buy that stuff :?

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2014, 23:48

There will always be fools.

davkol

06 Mar 2014, 23:57

One bashing thread (GH) is not enough, let the shitstorm multiply!

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2014, 00:08

Is this the same Razer which used and marketed Cherry Blue switches for gaming?

I used to troll overclock about that:
http://www.overclock.net/t/898198/some- ... lue-debate

Oh wait, that's about an earlier mechanical gaming keyboard.

BlueBär

07 Mar 2014, 00:18

webwit wrote:Is this the same Razer which used and marketed Cherry Blue switches for gaming?
Cherry Blue? Is that one of those "standard mechanical switches" that only last up to 20 million keystrokes?
(it's a bit hard to see with the white font)

guilleguillaume

07 Mar 2014, 08:26

Why do they have to lie in order to sell their products? :|

Cherry MX switch info

Long life 50 million operations

wetto

07 Mar 2014, 09:14

guilleguillaume wrote:Why do they have to lie in order to sell their products? :|

Cherry MX switch info

Long life 50 million operations
The only switch with "only" 20 million operations comes from Kailh themselves, which is the "Kailh Linear Red switch":

Maybe they posted by mistake the true specifications of their switches? :lol:

Topre Enthusiast

07 Mar 2014, 09:44

Julle wrote:"We pioneered the first mechanical gaming keyboard". Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.
"We were the *first* to make a mechanical switch keyboard in a hideous case with LEDs and obnoxious branding and give it a totally rad wicked-awesome name that gives you the edge in all video-games! Remember kids, a poor tradesman never blames his tools"

bhtooefr

07 Mar 2014, 12:05

A few years back, tactile Cherry MX switches were actually rated at 20 million... but I'm pretty sure Cherry had re-rated the blues to 50 million before the BlackWidow came out.

Edit: 2008-10-24: Long life: 50 million operations (linear) and 20 million operations minimum (tactile)
2009-02-08: Long life 50 million operations

And the BlackWidow was announced 2010-08-18: http://www.razerzone.com/press/detail/p ... escom-2010
Last edited by bhtooefr on 07 Mar 2014, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Candyflip

07 Mar 2014, 12:08

bhtooefr wrote:A few years back, tactile Cherry MX switches were actually rated at 20 million... but I'm pretty sure Cherry had re-rated the blues to 50 million before the BlackWidow came out.
Yea so Razer can brag with the meaningless numbers :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Mar 2014, 12:12

I stopped listening at "our scientists"... really?

ماء

07 Mar 2014, 12:37

bhtooefr wrote:A few years back, tactile Cherry MX switches were actually rated at 20 million... but I'm pretty sure Cherry had re-rated the blues to 50 million before the BlackWidow came out.

Edit: 2008-10-24: Long life: 50 million operations (linear) and 20 million operations minimum (tactile)
2009-02-08: Long life 50 million operations

And the BlackWidow was announced 2010-08-18: http://www.razerzone.com/press/detail/p ... escom-2010
Linear longer than tactile :D

this real or not?
blue some years ago>>>>>like brown
brown some years ago>>>>like reds
blacks/linear some years ago>>>>like water :lol:

BlueBär

07 Mar 2014, 12:37

What's funny though is that if you click on the orange variant, the standard mechanical switch suddenly is rated at 50 million :D

bhtooefr

07 Mar 2014, 12:38

You know, I wonder if any advertising regulation bodies can slap Razer for the "first mechanical gaming keyboard" claim.

SteelSeries would like a word with Razer: http://web.archive.org/web/200512250939 ... ed_in_asia

October 2005.

Although they claimed 60 million out of MX blacks, which Cherry has never claimed...

cookie

07 Mar 2014, 12:56

"We pioneered the verry first mechanical keyboard..."
What bullshit... Steelseries was one of the first companys who put MX switches in their "Gaming Keyboards"
Long before Razer sold their rubbish, overpriced, arctosa trash!

Man this commercial drives me mad :(

Edit:
WOOOOOW 0.3mm reduced travel! GENIOUS! This will surely overcome the latency of your internet connection...
Razer has gone to far... I am tossing my stuff!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Mar 2014, 15:27

Original Cherry data sheet for the "first generation" G80-2100 (with black switches), i.e. end of the 80s:
keymodule life.jpg
keymodule life.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 16402 times

BlueBär

07 Mar 2014, 15:32

cookie wrote:WOOOOOW 0.3mm reduced travel! GENIOUS! This will surely overcome the latency of your internet connection...
Razer has gone to far... I am tossing my stuff!
Best thing about that is that it is very well within the ±0,6mm pretravel tolerances :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”