IBM shows off the old hardware in its basement

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jun 2011, 16:39

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

02 Jun 2011, 19:13

Interesting legends on the far-right keypad. Looks like the following -
Overlay and Attribute Select Keyboards: These keyboards are equipped with highlight, PS and color select function keys (12 PF keys on right-hand side of the keyboard). They provide operator selection under program control, of highlight, PS and color attributes. Except for the color marking and annotation on the 12 PF keys on the right-hand side of the keyboard, the Overlay and Attribute Select keyboards appear identical to the equivalent non-Overlay and non-Attribute Select keyboards. Use of keys to select a feature not on the display will cause an error indication in the operator guidance row on the display. The uppercase and alternate shift of these 12 PF keys are used for attribute selection and are, therefore, not available for normal program function use. Limitations: Attribute selection is NOT supported for keyboards on a 3279 Model 2B or 3B attached to a 3276, OR for keyboards attached to a 3279 Model 2A or 3A.

hemflit

09 Jun 2011, 09:11

If anyone cares, more of old IBM stuff can always be seen in Silicon Valley's Computer History Museum. Totally worth a visit if you're there, and not just for this.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

11 Jun 2011, 10:07

Whenever I see hardware museums, I wonder if one day people would be interested in a keyboard museum. Sadly I lack the capital to even further consider that ;)

Magna224

11 Jun 2011, 22:25

I would go to your keyboard museum!

Return to “Keyboards”