Lost relics from press releases

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 May 2014, 05:16

Yesterday I was researching some keyboard stuff to win an argument and I stumbled upon some old German press releases. So I did some more searching in ancient news and I found quite a few interesting Cherry gems:
Tastatur mit Funkuhr von Cherry

AUERBACH (pi) - Eine Tastatur mit integrierter Funkuhr ist von der deutschen Cherry GmbH in Auerbach erhaeltlich. Der eingebaute Empfaenger gibt die Zeitinformationen ueber die Tastatur-Schnittstelle an den angeschlossenen Rechner weiter. Die Installation zusaetzlicher Software fuer den Betrieb der Funkuhr ist nicht noetig. Der Preis stand bei Redaktionsschluss noch nicht fest.
Basically this 1996 press release is claiming that Cherry was going to release a keyboard with a built-in radio-controlled-clock, that would automatically sync your system time to the proper current time over the keyboard protocol. First of all, what happened to this keyboard? I don't think it ever saw the light of the day?

Second, how would this even work? Emulating hard coded keystrokes to get to the system settings and setting the clock? I'm not sure...

The article claims this would work without software.

Press-release announcing the release of the [wiki]G80-2000[/wiki]:
Cherry 2000

Eine Multi-Options-Tastatur für PCs liefert Cherry, Auerbach bei Bayreuth, unter der Bezeichnung Cherry 2000 aus. Zur voll ausgebauten Tastaturperipherie gehören ein Kartenleser, eine Barcode-Decodereinheit, eine zusätzliche asynchrone Schnittstelle, die duplexen Datenverkehr ermöglicht, eine Maus und eine LCD-Anzeige. Cherry 2000 verfügt über 24 programmierbare Tasten, die mit je 80 Zeichen belegt werden können. Das Keyboard-Betriebssystem CKOS ermöglicht das gleichzeitige Bedienen verschiedener Optionen. Voll ausgebaut kostet das Gerät 2200 Mark.
So the retail launch price for the G80-2000 was a whopping 2200 DM. About 1124 Euro, entirely ignoring inflation. No wonder it's so freaking rare now.

Maybe we can find some more interesting articles in older computer news archives. So far I only skimmed through Computerwoche.

Bullveyr

02 May 2014, 11:40

sixty wrote:First of all, what happened to this keyboard? I don't think it ever saw the light of the day?
Maybe someone told them that this Internet is getting of the ground soon.

Return to “Keyboards”