New to DT...

00zeRO

21 May 2014, 23:06

Hey all. I am new to DeskThority, and you have a really nice setup here. :ugeek:

rindorbrot

21 May 2014, 23:16

Warm welcome!

00zeRO

21 May 2014, 23:17

rindorbrot wrote:Warm welcome!
Much thanks!

TacticalStache

21 May 2014, 23:20

I'm new here too

but anyone who's been on GH or reddit in the past forever probably recognizes my username

Welcome I guess

Muirium
µ

21 May 2014, 23:25

Everyone's welcome! Just don't be this guy:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t8070.html

eBay shilling is one way to get in a fight around here. Other than that, we're a friendly bunch.

00zeRO

21 May 2014, 23:41

Muirium wrote:Everyone's welcome! Just don't be this guy:

eBay shilling is one way to get in a fight around here. Other than that, we're a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tip. I do eBay, but I don't advertise...and I don't sell things that have anything to do with mechanical keyboards, etc.

00zeRO

21 May 2014, 23:43

Muirium wrote:Everyone's welcome! Just don't be this guy:

The group buy is just a design I worked out for SP, and I am just trying to get my free set and give everyone an opportunity to have memorable keycaps at the same time. It is not for my profit that I do it, it is for everyone else's.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 May 2014, 23:44

Hi folks,
welcome on DT!

JotaCe

22 May 2014, 00:34

Semi-thread-hijack!

New here! Registered, or should I say, de-lurked today. Hurray for me!
Decided I need a decent keyboard (since I spend at least 8h a day using one) and was recommended this forum by a friend.
Cherry MX sampler is on the way (Topre is out of my price range) and I will draw on the all-knowing-power of the Oracle and wise members of DT to make a decision on which keyboard to buy.

Compgeke

22 May 2014, 00:58

Work keyboard? Get a Model M and remove the foam, your co workers will love you.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2014, 01:42

When seeking oracular enlightenment, be sure to bring enough information to the table. In other words: do your homework! Have a look at layouts in particular, to see what appeals to you. Also think about backlights (correct answer: no thanks) and where you want to use it. Every variable changes something, and KBDB isn't running yet…

Eszett

22 May 2014, 08:43

@Muirium Completely offtopic, but the css buttons of http://kbdb.io/ look great, if only real keys would be that chic. Seems to imitate Apple keycaps.

7bit

22 May 2014, 09:31

Welcome to DT!
:-)

Here is your start to catch up with the others:
START

:evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

22 May 2014, 12:20

Eszett wrote:@Muirium Completely offtopic, but the css buttons of http://kbdb.io/ look great, if only real keys would be that chic. Seems to imitate Apple keycaps.
I won't surprise you: it's Matteo's design. He knows what he's doing! Unfortunately, we keep him far too busy for all his many projects like KBDB to get much development time…

Here's the thread where he suggested the idea. Some of us were all in favour. I'd love to unleash some database power on keyboards, so I can see what other boards out there are the closest size to my Kishsaver, or which ones are the same age as me, and other nonsense I'd be afraid to ask! Surely it'd be useful for answering quick questions like: what currently manufactured keyboards come in MX clear? But some of us were against it, as a potential rival to the wiki.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 May 2014, 13:04

00zeRO wrote:Hey all. I am new to DeskThority, and you have a really nice setup here. :ugeek:
I know you!

JotaCe

22 May 2014, 13:23

Muirium wrote:When seeking oracular enlightenment, be sure to bring enough information to the table. In other words: do your homework! Have a look at layouts in particular, to see what appeals to you. Also think about backlights (correct answer: no thanks) and where you want to use it. Every variable changes something, and KBDB isn't running yet…
I know! I've been reading a lot and I have a rough idea of what is best for my needs (hint: it's not a Model M without the foam :D ).
Latter I'll post something in the correct thread ;)

00zeRO

22 May 2014, 14:46

matt3o wrote:
00zeRO wrote:Hey all. I am new to DeskThority, and you have a really nice setup here. :ugeek:
I know you!
I know me, TOO! :mrgreen:

JotaCe

23 May 2014, 13:20

7bit wrote:Welcome to DT!
:-)

Here is your start to catch up with the others:
START

:evilgeek:
Oh God, I took the plunge. Just ordered some novelty keycaps from ivan (because I couldn't resist the idea of having a Skeletor key on my future keyboard).
There's no turning back now...

Muirium
µ

23 May 2014, 13:30

Give it a few months and you'll be complaining about legend typography and discussing the merits of beam springs vs. buckling springs…

00zeRO

23 May 2014, 15:41

Muirium wrote:Give it a few months and you'll be complaining about legend typography and discussing the merits of beam springs vs. buckling springs…
Ha ha! Not I, says this guy!

:lol:

Muirium
µ

23 May 2014, 15:42

Well, there's always a time and a place for skulls…

bhtooefr

23 May 2014, 16:34

Give it a few months. Muirium knows of what he speaks.

JotaCe

23 May 2014, 18:48

I already have an expensive hobby (photography), I don't need another one :(
All I wanted was a comfortable keyboard... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME???

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

23 May 2014, 19:04

Now you have something to photograph ;) but please leave out the shoe!

JotaCe

23 May 2014, 19:44

Broadmonkey wrote:Now you have something to photograph ;) but please leave out the shoe!
The shoe thing was something I never quite understood. I'd rather use something else for size reference.
But rest assured as soon as I'll get my keyboard, I'll post pictures! :D

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

23 May 2014, 19:47

Yes, that's a misunderstanding. The shoe was never about size referencing but more of a "what kind of person are you".

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 May 2014, 19:55

this thread has brought about a (to me) New termonology: "de-lurking" ; something of which I need to do more here at DT!

[EDIT] ok I did not see it on the index page.
Last edited by seebart on 23 May 2014, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 May 2014, 20:09

JotaCe wrote:I already have an expensive hobby (photography), I don't need another one :(
All I wanted was a comfortable keyboard... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME???
Maybe the photography hobby is more expensive at once (when choosing a nice lens for example), but that keyboard expenses come slowly and inconspicuously - as i found out in a rather short time!
Glad that i already have my lens and body, so no expenses there for some years :)

JotaCe

24 May 2014, 22:00

Broadmonkey wrote:Yes, that's a misunderstanding. The shoe was never about size referencing but more of a "what kind of person are you".
I had no idea! Always thought that it was a size reference (which didn't made much sense to me since not everyone has the same shoe size).
madhias wrote:Maybe the photography hobby is more expensive at once (when choosing a nice lens for example), but that keyboard expenses come slowly and inconspicuously - as i found out in a rather short time!
Glad that i already have my lens and body, so no expenses there for some years :)
Yes, in photography a new body or lens usually mean a big expense, but there's also a lot of smaller stuff (filters, bags, memory cards/film, etc.) in which you don't spend a lot at once (and the total keeps pilling up!).
And there's always that lens, or camera or flash or something that you "need"...

Compgeke

24 May 2014, 23:52

Or you could torture yourself by using a 9 year old Canon DSLR with a broken kit lens and a Speedlite 190A :D.

Return to “Keyboards”