are there any IBM space savers in german iso layout?

madmatt

28 May 2014, 16:48

Just a quick question regarding space savers. Been searching for used space savers in german iso layout but can´t find any. Are there any in the wilds or are they that rare that it is impossible to find one? According to the wiki here there was such a keyboard on the market. Well, I´ll keep searching then I guess.

Ascaii
The Beard

28 May 2014, 16:52

They exist, but are rather rare. What I ended up doing is taking an ANSI SSK and having a bolt-mod and layout change done to make it ISO.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2014, 16:55

I've heard there were a few ISO SSKs out there:

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... ml#p151944

But, like all Model Ms and Model Fs, any SSK can be converted to another layout by moving around the springs: like this one at the very top of DT's SSK Club photo thread.

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t2885.html

It's harder with an M. A bolt mod is required to get access to the hammers. So it's not a simple job, but it has certainly been done many times before.

madmatt

28 May 2014, 18:47

yeah. searched deskthority for that topic and found a similar entry to my question. Seems like an expensive and quite difficult task then. Might just go for a cheap model m then. I have read somewhere around here that model m´s can be easily cleaned and there is no yellowing as with cherry´s due to the used material. Was asking me that question after seeing the amazing work done by phosphoreglow and how they actually look like new after cleaning. Would that mean that I can take the most dirtiest and cheap m from the internet and turn it into something nib like without the box that is?

Muirium
µ

28 May 2014, 18:50

If you have a lot of time to kill, and want to learn some skills in the process, then yes! Model M cases can crack, but apart from that pretty much everything is fixable.

Watch out for space bars matching the rest of the keys (Model M caps are PBT plastic, but the space bars might be ABS which yellows). And spare parts like springs can be bought from Unicomp or by asking around here.

You'll still want an SSK, though. Trust me. Maybe Phosphor has some more to work on, sitting in his inbox!

madmatt

28 May 2014, 19:53

yeah he said he could reserve me one of those nice ones he just finished and also my favorite colors, green, yellow, orange are still there (can´t understand the people who went with another color). But nonetheless 235$ dollars, though a more then fair price to ask for, is still to much for me. It will go even further adding shipping (60$) and 17% toll. Probably would end up paying 250€ in that process. Taking an m for about 40€ and getting a numpad for free is therefore a nobrainer for me (as much as I would like to have one of those colored SS).

Icarium

29 May 2014, 16:03

madmatt wrote:yeah he said he could reserve me one of those nice ones he just finished and also my favorite colors, green, yellow, orange are still there (can´t understand the people who went with another color). But nonetheless 235$ dollars, though a more then fair price to ask for, is still to much for me. It will go even further adding shipping (60$) and 17% toll. Probably would end up paying 250€ in that process. Taking an m for about 40€ and getting a numpad for free is therefore a nobrainer for me (as much as I would like to have one of those colored SS).
I don't think you would have to pay toll but you would have to pay import VAT and that is 22% or something.
Just convince phosphorglow to write some nice instructions and mod a Model M yourself! :)

madmatt

29 May 2014, 16:55

Well, I would love to do that but I guess I am lacking know how, talent and everything else crucial for such a task. Guess I will start with getting a cheap iso model m and getting it shiny.

madmatt

29 May 2014, 16:57

P.S: Toll for american products in germany start at 150€ including shipping, so 295$ should be in toll area.

madmatt

29 May 2014, 16:59

PPS: I don´t know how I came up with 17% toll. It would actually be toll (don´t know exact numbers) and 19% taxes. Getting more expensive every minute.

Halvar

29 May 2014, 17:40

madmatt wrote:Well, I would love to do that but I guess I am lacking know how, talent and everything else crucial for such a task. Guess I will start with getting a cheap iso model m and getting it shiny.
That's how I would start, too. And did, actually. You shouldn't buy an SSK before you really positively know that buckling spring is your thing.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2014, 18:49

Indeed. Buckling spring will bowl you over when you first try it. For better or for worse!

Return to “Keyboards”