Muirium
µ

04 Jul 2014, 14:28

ULTIMATE HACKING COMPUTER!

Wiper

04 Jul 2014, 15:00

matt3o wrote:
bitemyweewee wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote: This needs a codename, any ideas?
Beefy Miracle 2.0 Electric Boogaloo
Beefy Miracle 2.0 Electric Boogaloo Redux EX
Super Beefy Miracle 2.0 Electric Boogaloo Redux Ex Alpha: Third Strike, surely!

DerpyDash_xAD

04 Jul 2014, 15:27

It sounds like a call of duty game 0.o

Wiper

04 Jul 2014, 17:16

Tch, as if Activision would have such naming skill - I think you'll find that that's a perfect example of the Capcom naming system ;)

pietergen

04 Jul 2014, 22:50

I have been thinking exactly about this, the last months. So, very interested.

A different project could be start with a laptop, remove the keyboard and build a mech keyboard in it. Change the hinges of the screen (to give more room for the fatter keys) and you're done.

Findecanor

06 Jul 2014, 22:57

While web-serfing I stumbled upon a keyboard built into the same enclosure as a Raspberry Pi: The FUZE.
Maybe you could put a nano-PC board in there instead of a Pi.

DerpyDash_xAD

07 Jul 2014, 01:34

yes, that is very similar to our idea. Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.

pietergen

07 Jul 2014, 17:44

How about a split ergo keyboard with a miniITX computer in the middle? If you would take one of these you might even put the computer on it's side, that is, not lying on it's back but on it's side.

My ideal portable computer is modular:
1. The keyboard-computer
2. Battery and/ or external power block
3. portable screen.

Usecase A: Work at home and at the office.
- have a monitor and powerblock at home; and a monitor and powerblock at the office
- commute and take only part 1 (the keyboardcomputer) with you.

Usecase B: Work anywhere
- use all parts
- the nice thing about the separate screen is that you can buy any screen you like, and position it like you want. The standard laptop screen location is bad for your neck; the solution to put the laptop high and/or to hang extremely relaxed in a chair is bad for arms, shoulders and back. Solution: have the keyboard low and the screen high (duh!). Next, there are the silly widescreens. Lots of work needs a vertical screen. Solution: rotate the screen :=)

Usecase C: Work 90% in one place; 10% occasional meetings etc.
- use a small, simple portable screen for that 10%

Disadvantages:
- it's more expensive
- it's heavier
- it's larger

Advantages:
- it's modular, it's upgradable
- great ergonomics

DerpyDash_xAD

07 Jul 2014, 21:07

In regards to the split ergo, we will not go that rout AT FIRST as it will scare off many of the average people.
However, we have already decided that aftermarket, easy plug-in keyboards are a must. Think Sinclair QL keyboard.

For the actual computer, we are thinking a custom form factor optimised for our situation, with amd A series processors. Displays will work by wihd or wireless hd or an alternate standard, with cheapish hdmi/dvi plugins, so the device can have a single (power) wire. We are thinking an internal psu would be best, and we think aftermarket batterys would be optimal. We will put strong focus on aftermarket parts, including graphics, memory, keyboard, and more.

Lacking a screen will shave off the cost if replacements are any indicator, so the low end machines will be very price effective, or at least that is our goal. We will only be using 64 bit architectures to get maximum OS compatability (where the rpi went wrong in my oppinion)

If this does go through we will try hard to push two things: non-qwerty keyboards, and trackballs. They make such a diffenence to user experience.

guilleguillaume

13 Jul 2014, 00:02

I don't think this was posted here:

SOURCE

IvanIvanovich

13 Jul 2014, 00:42

I've also been toying around with this idea for quite awhile as a personal project. Before recently there wasn't many good options to have something that was reasonable performance, small and with a tdp low enough to run passive. Now we have a bunch of nice bay trail stuff like the Kontron pITX-E38 that would fit the bill really well to build something like this around. What I like about something like that is it's small enough you could easily work it into something as small as a 60% more or less.
I want to make something that also looks more retro, using nothing but 1 unit keys for everything but the spacebar which will be 2.75, and have a touch pad or small touchscreen ran off the internal lvds on the right. Something that resembles a retrofuturistic interpretation of the TI-99.

DerpyDash_xAD

13 Jul 2014, 03:12

the problem with that will be battery. Such a small thing will not have much space for battery, and displays suck juice. That rpi system is kinna what we are aiming for, but using laptop system, so far more powerful.

scottc

13 Jul 2014, 16:12

So it's called *ahem*:

Ultimate Beefy Miracle 2.0 Electric Hacking Boogaloo

???

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2014, 16:12

Moo.

DerpyDash_xAD

13 Jul 2014, 16:16

The working title is the 'Completely Ultimate Nathaniel Technical PC'