Am i hallucinating?

kevinzone

03 Sep 2014, 22:11

So i got a new G710+ , mainly due to it being on sale , i soon realized after playing CS GO for a while, that my wasd region and some surrounding keys are quite a bit stiffer than the other side of the keyboard . For example my "b,n,m" keys are light in comparision to wasd. I've had this keyboard for about a week. So im wondering , is this due to my extensive play time on cs go - mashing the wasd region or is it the keyboard's fault and i should return this .

Btw, i also removed the o rings on the keyboard, because it just feels better without them . I'm also a noob when it comes to keyboards so bear with me :D

Halvar

03 Sep 2014, 22:29

Welcome to DT!

Extensive use on a new keyboard should make the keys lighter if anything. So if they're really stiffer and the board is new I would in fact return it.

If you think the difference is not obvious enough or you want to document it before returning it, you can "measure" the force that's needed to activate a certain key by slowly stacking small coins on it one by one until it activates. Repeat a few times, and don't drop the coins on from a height.

the1onewolf

04 Sep 2014, 00:18

I think Logitech is going to release a new keyboard very soon.
So ;)

kevinzone

04 Sep 2014, 02:49

Halvar wrote: Welcome to DT!

Extensive use on a new keyboard should make the keys lighter if anything. So if they're really stiffer and the board is new I would in fact return it.
Really? I thought it was like any other button , where extensive use over time would make it stiffer. Alright, im going to hopefully try to exchange it soon at my retail store, do you think this is good enough reason to be able to get an exchange? because it is technically a defect, right?

noesc

04 Sep 2014, 06:21

I would recommend you to do as Halvar said, things as grams of pressure can be very tricky to measure just by feel.

Take some measurements with something that is of a known weight, small enough to fit on the keycap without falling off, and stack away. The smaller weights the higher accuracy you'll have, coins and spacers comes readily to mind here.

A quick search of the G710+ says that it should be the same switch for all keys, i.e you should not have a different "stiffness" for WASD-area. If your measurements says that it's radically different, then you have a defective board.

Oh, also! Don't forget to pull the keycaps and look at the switch stems, they should all be of the same color. (Just for WASD and keys next to them, no need to check all keys).

Good luck and welcome!

Halvar

04 Sep 2014, 08:07

kevinzone wrote: Really? I thought it was like any other button , where extensive use over time would make it stiffer.
Some switch types might become stiffer when aging (or when getting dirty), but I haven't heard about such an effect for MX switches. If it happens, it happens with long use, certainly not in a week. In the first week, the should become lighter if anything as a kind of break-in effect.

Kurk

04 Sep 2014, 08:16

Slightly off-topic: I just looked up the Logitech g710+. Boy, for that amount of money you can get something *really* decent like a Filco!

Halvar

04 Sep 2014, 08:30

I have no firsthand experience of this, but I heard that for gamers, some of the addditional features of the Logitech like programmable extra keys, multimedia keys or a switch to deactivate the Windows key actually are supposed to make sense.

I have other priorities, too, but I'm a typer, not much of a gamer.

andrewjoy

04 Sep 2014, 12:42

I get the macro keys but everything else i consider a w**k feature to be honest, i game a huge amount on windows and a filco tenkeless with reds and a logitec performance MX serve my just fine

If i need macros i use autohotkey far more powerful.

I would say get your money back and buy a filco

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/filc ... yboard.asp

this is what i would recommend for games with a decent set of caps ( save up and buy later)

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product ... duct_id=59

Return to “Keyboards”