Topre PBT Spacebars

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2014, 17:51

@cookie: That's a good example of what I meant by saying that the indications and tests people use to differentiate different types of plastics are not conclusive in themselves. If several test and indications are in agreement, the weight of evidence gets better, but still not conclusive.

chzel

04 Nov 2014, 17:52

Perhaps they didn't use bromides (or whatever their name is) for flame-retardants?
Sure looks worn like ABS!

cookie

04 Nov 2014, 17:58

I concider the acetone test as a good method to see if it is ABS or PBT, you can apply a light coat on the underside of the cap to see if it is ABS. This will not harm the cap, even if it is ABS.

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2014, 18:22

cookie wrote: I concider the acetone test as a good method to see if it is ABS or PBT, you can apply a light coat on the underside of the cap to see if it is ABS. This will not harm the cap, even if it is ABS.
Did you try this on the spacebar from your HHKB Pro 1?

cookie

04 Nov 2014, 19:23

Because it is well known that the spacebars are made from ABS, I haven't seen the need to try it out.

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2014, 20:26

There was a Model M with Greek legends on ebay a while ago with a horribly yellowed space bar, though the other keys were all good. Wish I'd saved a picture of it, ebay's useless for preservation.

Anyway, here's another one, which is subtler but still clearly different from the other caps:

Nice worn ABS spacebar you've got on your HHKB 1 there, Cookie! Striking indeed how it hasn't yellowed anything like as much as the case. Try taking it off and shooting pictures against a white sheet of paper and you might find the telltale ABS tan even so. Apparently ABS (like all commercial plastics) is a mixture of things — the S stands for styrofoam, which sounds so cheap! — and I dare say the fire retardant part of the mix was stronger for your HHKB's case. The part which protects all the rest.

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2014, 21:11

Strictly speaking, the "S" in ABS stands for styrene (vinybenzene). Close, however, as "styrofoam" is a closed cell foamed version of polystyrene.

Thus far, searching the net for the chemical composition of IBM spacebars has not yielded definitive answers, but there seems to be some degree of consensus that Model F and M spacebars were, for the most part, made of PBT plastic except perhaps for some of the Model M boards that were produced in Greenock, Scotland sometime in the 1990s.

When I can find the time and materials, I will run some density and acetone tests on spacebars from some of my IBM boards.

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2014, 21:23

Update:

Here is the result of my inquiry today to Unicomp:
-----
Message to Unicomp:

1. What kind of plastic was used in original IBM Model M spacebars? Was it ABS, PBT, or something else?

2. What kind of plastic is used in Unicomp spacebars? Is it ABS, PBT, or something else?

Thank you.

Reply:

Date: 2014-11-04 16:15:02
Name: Customer Service

IBM and Unicomp use PBT in all keys and spacebars.

Best regards,

Customer Service
-----

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2014, 21:35

Emphatic!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Nov 2014, 00:01

we can't do this until later next year. I'll look into other options, but it seems this is not going to happen soon.

cookie

05 Nov 2014, 00:51

I will be happ if it is possible, even next year!
The good think is that all Topre spacebars have a 6 units width, so beside of different collor they don't need different molds for that!

hasu

05 Nov 2014, 01:45

002 wrote:
dorkvader wrote: some older topre KBs have PBT spacebars. I think Hasu said his NEWS KB has one.
This is news to me (no pun intended). Did hasu mention this in a thread somewhere or IRC?
As far as I know, the only PBT spacebars on Topre boards are for Japanese layouts.
From test with saturated salt water I can say that space bars from NEWS is not ABS. I saw Realforce(101) and HHKB(both pro and pro2) space bars floated and NEWS ones(both 411A and 5461) sank in the liquid.

You can see HHKB pro and NEWS space bars in this pic.

I can't declare its exact material but I can speculate that NEWS space bar is PBT and Realfoce and HHKB one is ABS from knowledge of keyboard community.

Followings are specific gravity of major plastics and saturated salt water solution has around 1.20.
ABS: 1.05
PS: 1.05
PPE: 1.06
PC: 1.2
PBT: 1.31
PA: 1.14
PPS: 1.34
POM: 1.41

Topre Enthusiast

05 Nov 2014, 01:57

Great info, hasu!
I'll add it to the wiki this weekend. I'll go through all my other Topre OEM boards and test them too.

cookie

05 Nov 2014, 10:08

Well the Question is, if PFU and Realfoce still claim that they can't produce PBT spacebars because of warping... How does it come that the NEWS spacebar seems to be made of PBT?

I am shocked and irritated!

Hypersphere

05 Nov 2014, 15:02

The other excuse I've seen is color matching, but if you are making both the spacebar and caps with PBT, I don't understand what the issue would be with color matching.

mSSM

05 Nov 2014, 18:13

Hypersphere wrote: Update:

Here is the result of my inquiry today to Unicomp:
-----
Message to Unicomp:

1. What kind of plastic was used in original IBM Model M spacebars? Was it ABS, PBT, or something else?

2. What kind of plastic is used in Unicomp spacebars? Is it ABS, PBT, or something else?

Thank you.

Reply:

Date: 2014-11-04 16:15:02
Name: Customer Service

IBM and Unicomp use PBT in all keys and spacebars.

Best regards,

Customer Service
-----
While that is good and all, I will only start trusting those guys after they deliver on their promise with the SSKs.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Nov 2014, 18:19

does anyone have a spare topre spacebar even in very bad shape? I need to send it to the manufacturer to check feasibility

Hypersphere

05 Nov 2014, 18:57

I have a black one that I bought as a backup spare from EK. They are currently in stock and sell for $4.50. If the manufacturer is in the USA, it would be cheaper and more straightforward to have one sent to them from EK. I would be willing to pay for this to help serve the cause.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Nov 2014, 19:06

oh they are pretty cheap, thanks for the headsup I'll take some. The manufacturer is in EU, but MOQ is like 2000-3000 pieces.

Still interested? :)

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2014, 19:22

European, and a sky high MOQ? Sounds like our old friends:
Spoiler:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Nov 2014, 19:24

nope

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2014, 19:27

What the devil devlin?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Nov 2014, 19:37

Hypersphere

05 Nov 2014, 22:25

matt3o wrote: oh they are pretty cheap, thanks for the headsup I'll take some. The manufacturer is in EU, but MOQ is like 2000-3000 pieces.

Still interested? :)
Yes, still interested. Let me know if you need any help that I would be able to provide.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Nov 2014, 15:48

okay.

it can be done.

I need to make A LOT of them. Like I said, in the 2500-3000 range and they would cost around €10 each (but they could go as low as €5 based on quantity)

With those figures it would be mandatory the support of some vendors. If there's a real interest I can get this party started.

Important: I need to send one sample to the manufacturer. I can buy some from EK, but it would take time to ship from EK to me and then from me to the manufacturer. Does anyone in EU has one spare to speed things up?
Last edited by matt3o on 06 Nov 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

06 Nov 2014, 16:06

I can send you the one from my pro1, but it has heavy wear:

Will they destroy the spacebar?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Nov 2014, 16:11

the spacebar wearing is not an issue. they mostly need to see the stems. The spacebar won't be returned, sorry.

If anyone has one spare new spacebar I would get it and return a new one as soon as I get mine from EK.

cookie

06 Nov 2014, 16:15

If mine will do the job, I am willing to send it to you.

Hypersphere

06 Nov 2014, 19:11

@matt3o: You might want to send a recent one to be sure the specs are current. If it would help, I could send one of mine or order from EK and have it shipped to you or the manufacturer. EK is usually quite fast with shipping.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Nov 2014, 19:28

thanks Hyper, I just wanted to avoid the usual 2 weeks from US to EU. I will be hopefully sending the spacebar to the manufacturer next week

Return to “Keyboards”