Topre PBT Spacebars

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2015, 21:14

@Scott. I was thinking more like "blame" from the Clack afficionados. You know they like to spray hellfire on Chinese replicas! Better not stand on hallowed soil…

@Wheybags. Any idea how well your resin stands up to wear, long term? ABS spacebars are shitty in two ways: yellowing and their softness to wear. They shine up real quick, then grow dents over the years where thumbs go! PBT seems much better than ABS all round, once it's manufactured. I wonder where resin falls.

wheybags

19 Jan 2015, 21:15

Nope, no idea :P
Never used em on anythign but esc and that doesn't get too much use.

scottc

19 Jan 2015, 21:16

Heh, Yeah. Good point. How dare you mimic the Great Leader...

I've got one "wheyclack" escape for each my primary SSK and HHKB. I don't use Esc too much, but there's not really any noticeable wear on them.

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2015, 21:25

For some reason, the heaviest wear a single unit cap gets in my typing is the letter A. I admit, I whack it often enough with other fingers besides my pinkie! My laptops always shine up there first, and it's the only cap I've really destroyed a legend on. (With lesser caps than doubleshot or dyesub, of course.)

Guess you guys don't use Vim or Emacs or whichever one of those things speaks a curious tongue where ESC is the key to rule them all!

scottc

19 Jan 2015, 21:29

I'm a constant Vim user actually, but I don't use Esc that much. I often use Ctrl-C in its place. I think that Esc thing is about Emacs, but I'm not sure...

wheybags

19 Jan 2015, 22:37

I use vim too, and do use esc, but it still doesn't account for that many keypresses.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

20 Jan 2015, 00:53

scottc wrote: I'm a constant Vim user actually, but I don't use Esc that much. I often use Ctrl-C in its place. I think that Esc thing is about Emacs, but I'm not sure...
We never use Esc with Emacs.

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 01:13

I press it fairly often on my 60% and smaller boards, because I don't have tilde there to the left of 1, and I use that for window management. (Command+Tab to switch between apps, Command+~ to switch between windows in the active app.) I simply set a macro so that Command+Esc translates to Command+~. That way my muscle memory works fine.

The HHKB will mean I can't play that trick…

imbattable

20 Jan 2015, 17:35

Will these actually work on HiPro Realforce boards or is the space profile different (for example, as the name suggests, higher)? I really want to get one of those boards some day and then I might have the right PBT spacebar for it :)

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

03 Feb 2015, 11:31

Gogo red :D

Topre Enthusiast

03 Feb 2015, 11:36

@imbattable: Should work fine as the bottom row of Topre Hi-Pro keyboards has the same type of switch as a standard Topre.

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2015, 14:16

True, which is odd of them. But I think he means will these look right on HiPro. That's a different matter!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2015, 21:55

The new manufacturer confirmed feasibility and gave us an estimate. MOQ is lower but we are still debating on the final cost.

I'm mildly optimistic at this point.

I'll keep you posted, I hope to be able to start the GB in a couple of weeks

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2015, 21:56

Have you checked a sample?

Stabilized

11 Feb 2015, 23:08

Sorry just found this thread the form for the spacebars, put myself down for 2x white and 2x black, hope that this works out as my Leopold Spacebar is pretty shiny already :)

wheybags

11 Feb 2015, 23:23

matt3o wrote: The new manufacturer confirmed feasibility and gave us an estimate. MOQ is lower but we are still debating on the final cost.

I'm mildly optimistic at this point.

I'll keep you posted, I hope to be able to start the GB in a couple of weeks
Nice!

vinzbe

12 Feb 2015, 19:49

Stabilized wrote: Sorry just found this thread the form for the spacebars, put myself down for 2x white and 2x black, hope that this works out as my Leopold Spacebar is pretty shiny already :)
You need to register here.

Stabilized

12 Feb 2015, 21:12

I did ;) That's what I meant by putting myself down for two of each.

vinzbe

13 Feb 2015, 00:33

My bad. I thought you were using imperative form :oops:

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2015, 00:39

I did too! (What a language…)

But will they be good enough — texture, colour, shape, fit — to get Matteo's approval? I hope so. Always helps to have a details guy in charge!

Muirium
µ

10 Mar 2015, 14:50

Anything to report?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2015, 10:24

the first samples to the second manufacturer got lost in the Chinese postal service. A second set of samples have been shipped...

Sorry this is taking forever, I'm doing all I can!

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2015, 20:25

Understood. That's business around the world, all right. Anyway, if the spacebars are up to your standards, they'll be worth it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Mar 2015, 20:57

I've got the final quotation!

It can be definitely done and it's (hopefully) cheaper than expected.

I'll run some numbers and get back to you!

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 20:58

Sweet. Did you get the samples safe and sound this time?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Mar 2015, 21:11

yes and all colors will be color matched (4 not 5)

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 21:24

Pics!

What's the texture like? Etc. etc. etc. gimme!!

hammelgammler
Vintage

18 Mar 2015, 21:47

Is it possible to change the order?
If the price goes a little bit down then i think i will buy two more. :)

Stabilized

18 Mar 2015, 22:03

I think it was just a 'purchase intent' form; more serious then an IC, but not as binding as a GB.

If they price does go down, I will seriously have to consider buying some more too :)

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

18 Mar 2015, 22:32

Great news then :D

Return to “Keyboards”