Topre PBT Spacebars

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2015, 00:29

oh I wish we were already at that stage. MY samples got lost... meaning the ones that I sent them to make the quote. We had to send them a new set of spacebars. Now they got them and made the quote.

The cost per spacebar is lower but I really want to see a test run first... That will cost something and will impact on the final pricing. So now they make a test run (it shouldn't take long), they send it to me, we decide if they are good enough, and then we go production.

A long way to go, but you gotta start from somewhere.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2015, 00:33

Thanks for sticking with it, for all us Matt!

Losing Topre spacebars in the mail… yikes. How did you replace those? Topre caps are horribly overpriced, as we all know.

Stabilized

19 Mar 2015, 00:52

Especially because I have never seen a spare spacebar outside of a full set...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2015, 08:36

Stabilized wrote: Especially because I have never seen a spare spacebar outside of a full set...
elitekeyboards fortunately sell them... but we also had to give them color samples for blue and red.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2015, 09:30

Are they colour-matching based on Topre's coloured ABS spacebars?
Would it have been possible to colour-match from a single unit PBT cap? I think that would actually result in more accurate colour overall because Topre's ABS coloured spacebars are not very close to the PBT caps, especially with the blue set this is noticeable.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2015, 10:16

yes, black and white are color matched on the 1u keys

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2015, 12:58

See, he's a smart bot!

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but is HHKB white exactly the same as Realforce white?

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2015, 13:12

I actually don't know! I feel like the Realforce white is a bit brighter but can't say for certain.
Why don't you grab a $154 Realforce and find out for us, Mu :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2015, 13:22

unfortunately they don't ship to Italy otherwise I would probably grab one :)

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2015, 13:22

I've already got a 55g white Realforce 87U waiting for me in California as it happens! (Interesting story. Unplanned. Can wait until I write a comparison about it and the HHKB I'll have with me.) I can check in a couple of weeks…
matt3o wrote: unfortunately they don't ship to Italy otherwise I would probably grab one :)
Something else I should proxy from America? Can't really justify it for myself now!

ne0phyte
Toast.

19 Mar 2015, 14:25

002 wrote: I actually don't know! I feel like the Realforce white is a bit brighter but can't say for certain.
Why don't you grab a $154 Realforce and find out for us, Mu :)
Damn it! After months of not visiting DT...I check this thread and buy a Realforce less than 5 minutes after logging in :D
Not sure if I should be mad or appreciate that you posted it :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh and I have a black and a white HHKB keycap set so I can try and see if there are any differences in color.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2015, 14:40

Haha! Welcome back :D
I am interested to know how this keyboard feels, too. The NG0100 was introduced in 2004 and it looks like these ones on eBay are early models as they have the old logo plate. I'd say it's probably close to 9-10 years old and NIB, so curious to know if the rubber still feels snappy. It should be fine though as I have the Just Systems re-brand of this board and it feels great.

ne0phyte
Toast.

19 Mar 2015, 14:44

When it comes to Topre I can only compare it to my 2 year old HHKB Pro 2 which I've been using exclusively and easily for 5000h+ by now. But iirc there was a thread on GH with some experiments regarding the feeling and pressure needed and heavy use didn't really have a big impact.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Mar 2015, 14:59

I've been able to check HHKB white with the realforce 002 sent to me few months ago. They are very (very) close, but there seems to be a tiny color difference (being the realforce a pinch warmer white).

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2015, 22:22

That sounds plausible to me. My HHKB is a paler shade in reality than I expected. The mods are the real reason, but their low contrast with the alphas is possibly enhanced by a cooler shade on those. Anyway, I can see the ABS spacebar's hint of yellowness in comparison (ABS never seems to have that natural PBT whiteness) so if you can beat that I'm happy!

Good luck with the JIS layout, Neo. I might got for it myself someday, do love a tiny little spacebar, and those ones are natural PBT!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Apr 2015, 09:53

Manufacturer has being paid to start production of the mold.

Today I received the 3D model they will be building the spacebars on.

hold tight!

scottc

30 Apr 2015, 09:59

Nice! Is there any way to check what I've put myself down for?

Khers

30 Apr 2015, 10:38

Great! Have they given you an estimate on when you'll receive samples?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Apr 2015, 10:50

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2015, 09:11

They are shipping the prototypes today! I should get them in 2-3 days!

scottc

11 May 2015, 09:34

Oooh exciting!

Khers

11 May 2015, 09:37

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what they look like!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

11 May 2015, 10:06

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2015, 11:57

Guys... All hands on the table please...

Ascaii
The Beard

11 May 2015, 12:00

yum :)

Why put the black in between the red, white, and blue?

scottc

11 May 2015, 12:15

Niiiiiiice! How do they fit?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2015, 12:20

2-3 days and I'll know

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 May 2015, 12:48

Yummy, my Realforce waits for a serious spacebar!

andrewjoy

11 May 2015, 14:14

why anyone makes spacebars / caps out of ABS on premium boards is beyond me, i just don't get it. The trouble you topre boys have had to go to to get a decent spacebar is crazy.

They look loverly , nothing better than a clunking great spacebar.

chzel

11 May 2015, 16:39

Great!
I might put myself down for a couple (in case I like the Topre from the tour!)
Great job matt3o!

Return to “Keyboards”