Got my Noppoo Choc Mini

incubated

08 Jul 2011, 01:14

I have waited for this one for a long time. First they were out of stock, then Canadian postal service had to go on strike but finally it is here: Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Browns. Damn. Loving it. It is exactly what i was looking for. The size is perfect. It accommodates for my large mouse pad and has all of the essential keys i use, conveniently placed. It is also quite without compromising that "mechanical" feel. It is even smaller than i expected, which is good, but does not feel cramped, and the acclamation period is, well, instant. This is the first thing I am typing on it with great ease and dexterity. I can navigate the keys freely.

Yet, there is a downside. The space key seems flimsy and inconsistently audible comparing to the rest of the keys. It feels, almost, like it is made with Cherry Blues, but it's not because i have Cherry Blue keyboard and it sounds more robust than this. This sound leaves the impression the springs, or the stabilizers, are ancient or rubbish. The enter key, also, is slightly louder, and flimsier sounding. It is also the second largest key. Perhaps the key size has something to do with it. I wonder if this issue is a rare misfortune, or all of the Noppoos try to save costs by using bad springs/stabilizers.

In any case, this is an excellent keyboard, and the price was great too. I got it on eBay for 90$USD + 27$ shipping since the vendors restocked. The Brown ones were going for almost $140 not too long ago. Without the noisy space bar, this would be the perfect keyboard. Still, highly recommended as is.

7bit

10 Jul 2011, 23:38

incubated wrote:I have waited for this one for a long time.
Still, highly recommended as is.
Where are the pictures?
Where is your Wiki article?

redpill

11 Jul 2011, 16:41

You could try carefully removing the space bar and lubing the stabilizers and/or adding some dampening material. I haven't taken apart a Noppoo Mini before and I'm not sure what kind of stabilizers they use but usually you can take some steps to mitigate the inconsistent sound and rattly feel.

Julle

11 Jul 2011, 18:01

Noppoo Choc Mini has Costar style stabilizers.

Magna224

12 Jul 2011, 22:27

my backspace key has a rattly stabilizer but the rest are all good.

ripster

12 Jul 2011, 23:26

The best way to solve the Cherry Brown spacebar problem is to solder in a Cherry Clear. Makes for a very nice spacebar and overcomes the inertia of the sluggish Cherry Corp G99 stabilizers.

the resizer algorithm here makes my pics look fuzzy

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Jul 2011, 23:57

ripster wrote:The best way to solve the Cherry Brown spacebar problem is to solder in a Cherry Clear. Makes for a very nice spacebar and overcomes the inertia of the sluggish Cherry Corp G99 stabilizers.
FLA_0675.jpg
FLA_0675.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
FLA_1735.jpg
FLA_1735.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
the resizer algorithm here makes my pics look fuzzy
Can't see anything wrong with it.

ripster

13 Jul 2011, 00:02

Compare here.

I'm being picky though.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jul 2011, 00:08

The pictures aren't resized because they fit. Urls are http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=...

So what you say is geekhack attachment algorithm sucks?

Return to “Keyboards”