Cherry MX - White Keycaps - Where?

Toast

06 Feb 2011, 02:33

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask...

Where could I find some white keycaps (double shot, lasered, pad-printed, whatever) which might fit a Leopold FC200R?

Just a couple notes:
-I'm Canadian
-Not worried about every key. I know some of the Leopold keys are non-standard like the space bar.
-Would rather not buy an entire Cherry keyboard off ebay just for the keys.

Maybe there's no good answer. Thanks anyway! : )

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Feb 2011, 02:36

I can probably help you out with Cherry keycaps. I will have a few more sets of double shots available for purchase soon, may still have some in stock now too. Lasered should be no problem in either case.

You would likely end up with incompatible keys for space, ctrl/win/alt/app (depends if you want lasered or double shot - lasered I have fitting ones... I think) and caps lock. Rest should fit fine.

Have to go home in a few minutes, so I'll report back with inventory tomorrow if you are interested.

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 02:49

I'm also still interested in Cherry vintage double shot keycaps. I would have bought from you sooner, but got a bit stressed from my employment situation. Now I don't care; keycaps' where my money's at.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Feb 2011, 03:02

This is what sixty's hands look like after harvesting all the keycaps:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Feb 2011, 03:06

To be honest... that is pretty close. Two weekends ago I pulled at least fifty boards. Result was 2 cuts and the freaking wire keycap puller finally broke.

Anyway, going home now. Gonna check if I have two sets tomorrow.

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 03:44

sixty wrote:To be honest... that is pretty close. Two weekends ago I pulled at least fifty boards. Result was 2 cuts and the freaking wire keycap puller finally broke.

Anyway, going home now. Gonna check if I have two sets tomorrow.
I appreciate that a lot! One week or two doesn't matter though.

Toast

06 Feb 2011, 04:45

Oh sweet, that would be rocking for me. Will be watching to see what you've got.
((If there were white with black lettering double-shots that'd make me drool. But sweet either way.))

Ouch on the cuts.

ynih

06 Feb 2011, 06:51

So if we find a little red on the keycaps we know that it's Sixty hard at work :)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Feb 2011, 21:04

Sorry, didn't manage to check stock last night, was too tired. Anyway, the sets I will (would?) be selling look like these:

So yeah, black on white (more like ivory or beige, really).

Toast

06 Feb 2011, 21:10

Not a problem. : ) I'm stoked. Those look perfect. They're the same as the vintage set in the photos section I think?

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2011, 00:40

Still need a set with a short shift to refurbish my v80-5000. DHL took my other set.

keyboardlover

07 Feb 2011, 05:15

@Sixty - I'm interested in another set as well, so let me know =)

Toast

09 Feb 2011, 16:32

Hm... wonder if I could find a way to mod the underside of the Caps Lock key so I could get it on the Leopold. Might be worth it. : 3 Some dremel action and epoxy?..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

09 Feb 2011, 16:45

Toast wrote:Hm... wonder if I could find a way to mod the underside of the Caps Lock key so I could get it on the Leopold. Might be worth it. : 3 Some dremel action and epoxy?..
Yep. Thats exactly how its done. Ripster has an excellent guide for that over at geekhack.

mass

09 Feb 2011, 19:07

sixty wrote:Sorry, didn't manage to check stock last night, was too tired. Anyway, the sets I will (would?) be selling look like these:

Hi there, How much are you asking for a set?
Just need a set of US-layout Cherry Doubleshot KeyCaps.
Please PM me. thanks.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

09 Feb 2011, 19:08

I think I have none left now. I had a few sets from a source in Taiwan, right now I have none. Please wait a while. I'll PM you.

mass

09 Feb 2011, 19:16

Cheers, sixty.
look forward to hear from you soon.

keyboardlover

09 Feb 2011, 19:21

I'm also interested =)

Minskleip

09 Feb 2011, 19:22

Indeed me too. Does boards with these usually go for much on ebay?

Toast

10 Feb 2011, 00:45

sixty wrote:I think I have none left now. I had a few sets from a source in Taiwan, right now I have none. Please wait a while. I'll PM you.
Oi, is just cool that you offered. I'd still like to buy if and when you do get them in. (Think I'll hold out for doubleshot-whites now though.)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Feb 2011, 21:06

Taiwan is going to ship the next batch tomorrow it seems. I'll keep you guys updated.

keyboardlover

14 Feb 2011, 21:11

I call dibs! :D

kidchunks

14 Feb 2011, 21:33

I missed out on your last run by a few hours :(. Hopefully you get a good amount this time around. Looking to purchase a set for a custom board I'm building.

J888www

14 Feb 2011, 23:48

sixty wrote:Result was 2 cuts..........
Help is at paw, this Chinese Magic Oil works wonders, it aids/assists/promotes healing, you will be amazed, I tell the truth, I have not come to fool you.........One of the essential items kept in every Monkeys' abode.
Mau Lung Minjak Gosok Oil. NB: For external use only.
Do not mistake this with Indian Magic Oil which only makes your skin to become taut.

Wonder why no one have enquired about transparent laser etched key-caps. Would be very nice to show-off some of the switches ie: Sixty's transparent MX switch covers with Red cherry stems or for Blue ALPS and maybe/definitely for a certain Monterey SIIG MiniTouch.
"You're sooo vain, I bet you think this song is about you, you're sooo vain......................" Carley Monkey

Once you have found your Grail, you too will wish to "Pimp It Up"
Last edited by J888www on 15 Feb 2011, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

Toast

15 Feb 2011, 00:07

You can consider down for a set too. : )

As long as shipping to Canada isn't a problem.

laden3

15 Feb 2011, 01:14

J888www wrote:
sixty wrote:Result was 2 cuts..........
Mau Lung Minjak Gosok Oil.
sounds like a mix of Indonesian and Mandarin, Minjak~oil, Gosok~scrubbing ;)

Toast

18 Feb 2011, 19:15

Hm, am curious. If I was patient and determined enough to mod all the stems of these keys to fit the FC200R...

Would the keys be the right size approximately? Shift, ctrl, alt, space, caps. This is what I hope I can do. : )

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 21:31

Shift should fit out of the box. Caps can be modded. Ctrl, Alt, Space, nope.

CTRL and ALT keys on vintage Cherry keyboards (without winkeys) are sized 1.5 of a normal keycap, while on the modern boards with winkeys, such as the FC200R they are 1.25 sized.

Toast

18 Feb 2011, 21:43

Ah okie, dang! Am still down for a set.
Maybe will do something like this guy did.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/2094999 ((just attached since kbdmania is so slow))
Attachments
FC200R.jpg
FC200R.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 10480 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 21:54

The good old AEK2 keycaps! Damn ALPS keycaps, that reminds me... I still owe a set of SGI arrow keys to daedalus that I somehow ended up putting on another ALPS board and then shipping to another geekhack member. Just one more reason to dislike ALPS.

Return to “Keyboards”