Where to buy in Japan? (in person)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Feb 2015, 14:57

Hello - I've been meaning to visit Japan for ages and it looks like this year the trip might finally happen.

I always hear that there are all sorts of neat little places in Japan to pick up keyboards and all manner of fun things but - I don't know where they are! My friend has told me about the market at Akihabara and that is definitely at the top of my list. But - what else is there?

If you were in Japan (say flying into Tokyo) and had a few days to go scrounging, where would you go?

eldorange

16 Feb 2015, 16:09

you might want to try these stores...they have website too...in japanese only....
dospara, sofmap, yodobashi

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

16 Feb 2015, 16:10

Bring me an HHKB2! :D

Muirium
µ

16 Feb 2015, 16:22

Relevant thread:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/buy ... t5649.html

There used to be an awesome little shop dedicated to keyboards in Tokyo. But it closed a few years ago. You can still find Topre boards in physical stores, though.Best to research first so you have a hope when you're dazed and confused in the Tokyo chaos in person!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Feb 2015, 21:41

Spikebolt - Sure, I'll try to remember to send you a PM before I leave. There is still the small matter of shipping from the US to Portugal.

eldorange, Muirium - Thanks. Fortunately my friend speaks at least *some* Japanese, and reads more than he speaks.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jan 2017, 03:09

Time for a necro. My friend is in Akihabara now. Let's see what he finds!

derzemel

09 Jan 2017, 10:33

XMIT wrote: Time for a necro. My friend is in Akihabara now. Let's see what he finds!
Filco, Leopold, Realforce and Ducky will be the most obvious brands. I asked a friend to get me a keyboard from Akihabara and he told me that those were the brands he kept seeing everywhere. (i got an FC660C)

2ZQ

10 Jan 2017, 07:32

Hey there!
Akihabara is kind of a bust, as they have nothing that isn't offered by all the big stores. There is an exceptional little hidden stall there where I pick up spacers and standoffs, and once in a while a vintage iron.
I would recommend going to Hard-Off (electronics branch of a "thrift" shop chain here). Not the one in Akiba (complete shit) but the ones that are outside the 23wards of TYO. If you would like a list with notes I can send you a pretty long one for most on the west side. Some have realforce and filcos (~30-40usd) regularly, others I have found are better for vintage finds. I probably spend a good 30 hours a week just hunting here. Let me know if you need, and/or your dates here and I could probably take you on the tour.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Jan 2017, 13:10

It looks like my friend is returning with a silenced 104-key Realforce silenced (XF01TS). He paid full retail price for it - about 200 USD. Not an absurd deal but the best I'll get for this board. I should pick it up in about a month.

Hopefully next time I can meet him there and we can explore further. It would be nice to get out of Tokyo and explore thrift stores, and perhaps even a recycling facility if we can manage it.

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 00:35

I also want to pry into Japan and have a glimpse of what goodies they have over there, BUT I can't speak Japanese,menuhin seems to be a multiluigist (not confirmed though)of excellent searching skills, I wish he could opend a thread like "Goodies form Japan/Korea"

Menuhin

11 Jan 2017, 12:17

I think the best "Goodies from a certain certain country" threads will be those provided by enthusiasts who are physically located in the country themselves. For example, the "thrift" shop chain recommendation above is definitely gold.

Having visited a country for a few times, and having good friends there, or even speaking the language do not qualify me to make big topics like this one. Of course I shall share the 'goodies' in case I found some, and the way I got them from other countries, not necessarily just Japan and Korea you know.
By the way, I'm not a multi-linguist, just a little bit interested in languages. :P

Mr.Nobody

13 Jan 2017, 14:02

Menuhin wrote: I think the best "Goodies from a certain certain country" threads will be those provided by enthusiasts who are physically located in the country themselves. For example, the "thrift" shop chain recommendation above is definitely gold.

Having visited a country for a few times, and having good friends there, or even speaking the language do not qualify me to make big topics like this one. Of course I shall share the 'goodies' in case I found some, and the way I got them from other countries, not necessarily just Japan and Korea you know.
By the way, I'm not a multi-linguist, just a little bit interested in languages. :P
You are being modest and polite, although I've been here for merely a couple of days, I found you have a well-balanced comprehensieve impartial cultivated mind and good taste as well.

ghostdawg187

30 Jul 2017, 13:24

My question concerning shopping mechanical keyboards in Tokyo:

We all know that Topre keyboards are pretty expensive. Does there any shop in Tokyo exist which sells used Topre boards or of any other brand? I am thinking of keyboards which have been returned or which have some optical drawbacks. Someone told me to look for "Softbank" stores. Who can be more explicit on such possible stores?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Jul 2017, 14:02

I forgot to mention, my board came from Tsukumo. I don't know of any discount stores.

Return to “Keyboards”