Life after the IBM Model M SSK...

ShivaYash

17 Feb 2015, 10:08

Hello chaps,

I post in the name of procrastination... anything to avoid structuring a chapter I've been working on.

And only my fellow KB nerds will understand.

What comes after the IBM SSK? I almost feeling sad at having been introduced this typing experience. My brand new Realforce is boxed up now. My HHKB Pro 2, with white caps sits in its neoprene bag. My FILCOs are in long term storage. The Poker II is being used as a door stop, any takes for this?

So what does one do following the discovery of the BS? Find a new hobby?

Yours,

SY

PS. I'll reply to this thread tomorrow, as I must get something out by the end of today, and as we all know, hours can pass, responding to my good friends on this forum.

7bit

17 Feb 2015, 10:26

You need to get a Model F, ideally one with a metal case!
:evilgeek:

chzel

17 Feb 2015, 10:27

Collect more of course...
Same thing happened to me!

andrewjoy

17 Feb 2015, 10:34

62 or 77 key model F

idollar
i$

17 Feb 2015, 10:58

andrewjoy wrote: 62 or 77 key model F
No !!!!! You would miss in the way the model F122, the AT, even the XT and the bigfoot.
Change the order of the above as you wish, but do not skip these in your path :-)

Next is to find the money to get an unsaver ... finally move to the 62 and then the 77, but you may need to break into one of the houses of the people posting these pictures that make me so jealous ! :twisted:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Feb 2015, 11:38

ShivaYash wrote: Hello chaps,

I post in the name of procrastination... anything to avoid structuring a chapter I've been working on.

And only my fellow KB nerds will understand.

What comes after the IBM SSK? I almost feeling sad at having been introduced this typing experience. My brand new Realforce is boxed up now. My HHKB Pro 2, with white caps sits in its neoprene bag. My FILCOs are in long term storage. The Poker II is being used as a door stop, any takes for this?

So what does one do following the discovery of the BS? Find a new hobby?

Yours,

SY

PS. I'll reply to this thread tomorrow, as I must get something out by the end of today, and as we all know, hours can pass, responding to my good friends on this forum.
There is no "better keyboard" for me, rather a top 10 of keyboards that I rotate randomly whilst enjoying the differences. Actually I often rediscover certain aspects of different keyboards and switches that way that I might forget after a while If I were to primarily use one. But since you like Model M you might want to try Model F, only problem you might not find a compact Model F and the layout of the XT for example can be a turn off.
Last edited by seebart on 17 Feb 2015, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2015, 11:41

Yup. I'm the same way. I like having several different kinds of keyboards on the go. You can get a bit blind to what you've got in front of you if you keep using it too long. Pulling out an IBM after a week or two on Topre is another taste of my first experience with clicky buckling springs all over again!

idollar wrote: but you may need to break into one of the houses of the people posting these pictures that make me so jealous ! :twisted:
Those people are armed with deadly metal keyboards. Don't expect to escape alive!

@Shiva. Interesting to see how different boards grow on people. I remember you were wowed by the Poker 2, back when you got it. I think you were initially underwhelmed by the HHKB which you quickly followed it up with. But that one grew on you for sure, given the Topre boards you picked up since.

Then, just lately, you got your SSK. I remember the PM you wrote me about your first impressions. They weren't ideal! But sure enough, the SSK has fast become your one and only board.

The pattern is strong. This won't be your last discovery!

7bit and the others are right that a good next direction is to other IBMs. The Model M, for all its mighty reputation, was a cost cutting exercise. Its ancestor — the Model F series — is more solidly built, has sharper tactility, native NKRO and makes even more of a racket! Here's a quick comparison of mine:

Model M
Model F
I actually got into IBM with a Model F first. (My XT.) The only Model M I like as much as them is the SSK, whose form factor and layout is magnificent. My other Model Ms, alas, get next to no use. I should really sell them and clear the shelves and tidy up this place!

As everyone's been saying, Model Fs can get super expensive. (Ellipse is waiting for anyone with a grand handy who wants to believe his sales pitch…) The cheap ones are the plentiful XT and AT models that IBM mass produced for several years. There's a lot less of them out there than Model Ms (which IBM churned out for more than a decade) but a good AT or XT is still a bargain these days. One of the magic powers Model Fs have is that you can open them up and move around the springs and stabilisers non-destructively, no bolt mod required. That means you can design your own custom layout, like I did with my AT:

And unlike the über rare Kishsaver / 4704 series, the XT and AT don't need a new controller. They just plug right into Soarer's converter or whatever else you have handy.

Of course, even Model F was a cost saving exercise, and has an exotic, superior ancestor. But beamsprings are great hulks of boards. Their discovery can wait!

seebart

17 Feb 2015, 11:48

Muirium wrote: The pattern is strong. This won't be your last discovery!
the force is strong with ShivaYash! :mrgreen:

mSSM

17 Feb 2015, 14:21

I think that having a look at MX Green switches makes a lot of sense now. They feel quite similar to the SSK's buckling springs, and since they are MX you can get purdy caps for them.

Then again, I might be delirious. I moved to another country and left my love with my girlfriend. I am trying to compensate with my HHKB, a QuickFire with MX Greens, and my ErgoDox with MX Blues.

andrewjoy

17 Feb 2015, 15:17

Muirium wrote: Of course, even Model F was a cost saving exercise, and has an exotic, superior ancestor. But beamsprings are great hulks of boards. Their discovery can wait!
I think i would prob still trade my beamspring for a mint 62 key :). Beam springs are more easy to come by than the 62 key.

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2015, 17:10

Yup. That's why I have two of them, but just the one Kishy.

Well, besides the first day:

idollar
i$

17 Feb 2015, 17:29

Muirium wrote: Yup. That's why I have two of them, but just the one Kishy.

Well, besides the first day:

Stop posting these pictures ! :evil: :mrgreen: :D

jajajaja

ShivaYash

17 Feb 2015, 18:03

Muirium wrote:
@Shiva. Interesting to see how different boards grow on people. I remember you were wowed by the Poker 2, back when you got it. I think you were initially underwhelmed by the HHKB which you quickly followed it up with. But that one grew on you for sure, given the Topre boards you picked up since.

Then, just lately, you got your SSK. I remember the PM you wrote me about your first impressions. They weren't ideal! But sure enough, the SSK has fast become your one and only board.

The pattern is strong. This won't be your last discovery!
I feel like Mu has written 'this is your life...' for me here! Very nice indeed. Yes you are absolutely right, however I think my journey has come to an end, for the moment, hence the sadness. I think the SSK hits the spot in every single area for me, and whilst there remains some space, albeit small, for other boards in my life, I don't think, for the moment at least, another daily driver will be purchased. I'm moving on to raw demin and hand made shoes! ;-) See me at StyleForum!

Famous last words?

bhtooefr

17 Feb 2015, 18:13

You take the Model F, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the Alps pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2015, 18:44

You know you've gone wrong when you turn to see a trail of Franken-Topres in your wake…

(Hey Hyper!)

Touch_It

18 Feb 2015, 03:48

Why would you want a Kishsaver when you can have this.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2015, 11:13

Nicer if they just put a mousemat right over the numpad…

seebart

18 Feb 2015, 11:23

Muirium wrote: Nicer if they just put a mousemat right over the numpad…
no I have great respect for users who like their keyboards BIG and made of metal! 8-)

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2015, 11:30

The Kishsaver 60% is already plenty heavy enough, believe me! The 77 key is essentially the perfect layout for TKL guys. While the L∞ng Kish takes up a whole table, so you'd better have the same taste as Kbdfr in pointing devices:

I'd rather use shortcuts and have a nice desk!

andrewjoy

18 Feb 2015, 11:31

looking at the 107 , is it really that much longer than a 122 ? I am not so sure it is. Possibly a little bit but not much. Width wise its pretty much the same layout.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2015, 11:39

Probably about the same. I don't have one, but it's exactly the same scale as a Kishsaver, just stretched horizontally. They're amazingly low profile for buckling spring boards.

seebart

18 Feb 2015, 11:57

Muirium wrote: Probably about the same. I don't have one, but it's exactly the same scale as a Kishsaver, just stretched horizontally. They're amazingly low profile for buckling spring boards.
Lower in profile than IBM XT?

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2015, 12:01

Yes! I need to photograph my Model Fs side by side to prove it. But as usual it's gloomy old day up here, so it'll wait.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Feb 2015, 12:03

Muirium wrote: […] takes up a whole table, so you'd better have the same taste as Kbdfr in pointing devices:

I'd rather use shortcuts and have a nice desk!
I'd like to point out that I now use another RollerMouse model (RollerMouse Pro),
and that after completing a job which implied a whole bunch of complicated macros and special characters,
I considerably reduced the size of my keyboard.
Spoiler:
It now has a 8x8 instead of 16x8 matrix module on the right side,
i.e. instead of 312 keys I now have only 248 - still enough to feel comfortable :mrgreen:

seebart

18 Feb 2015, 12:07

kbdfr wrote:
Muirium wrote: I'd like to point out that I now use another RollerMouse model (RollerMouse Pro),
and that after completing a job which implied a whole bunch of complicated macros and special characters,
I considerably reduced the size of my keyboard.
I bet that is a "considerable reduction" for you! :lol:

Hypersphere

18 Feb 2015, 17:10

The IBM SSK is a beautiful keyboard. I typed happily on mine for some time before discovering the improved sound and feel of Model F boards, but these take some effort to get up and running. Now I'm typing on a silenced HHKB with 55g domes and enjoying it immensely. You have some excellent boards -- consider rotating among them and savoring the things that make each of them special. On the other hand, if you have decided that the SSK is the one for you, sell the others and be glad of your discovery and your fattened wallet.

ShivaYash

18 Feb 2015, 18:10

Hypersphere wrote: The IBM SSK is a beautiful keyboard. I typed happily on mine for some time before discovering the improved sound and feel of Model F boards, but these take some effort to get up and running. Now I'm typing on a silenced HHKB with 55g domes and enjoying it immensely. You have some excellent boards -- consider rotating among them and savoring the things that make each of them special. On the other hand, if you have decided that the SSK is the one for you, sell the others and be glad of your discovery and your fattened wallet.
Ha! I will try living with the Realforce 87u next week, its a tough life... the week after, it will be the turn of the HHKB Pro 2.

How difficult was the 55g dome swap on the HHKB?

Hypersphere

18 Feb 2015, 18:40

@ShivaYash: Enjoy your rotation! Regarding the dome swap, it was not really difficult, but it can be a bit maddening if you dislodge the domes and conical springs. I found it very helpful to use two supports with thick double-sided adhesive tape to grip the edges of the switch assembly to keep it from slipping off the supports.

Touch_It

18 Feb 2015, 22:02

andrewjoy wrote: looking at the 107 , is it really that much longer than a 122 ? I am not so sure it is. Possibly a little bit but not much. Width wise its pretty much the same layout.

They are about the same. Someone somewhere has a picture of them together. In all honestly its not a lot longer than a M, as you can see in my picture. The thing is large and in charge, no doubt, but it doesn't affect much really. For some reason the hardest thing for me is that when playing games (Diablo 3) my fingers get confused on the numeric keys. Eg I keep hitting 2 when I want to hit 1, etc etc. Not sure why as the main cluster is Pure ANSI. Maybe the slightly longer length is causing the issue. But now I'm just rambling :/. Anything for an excuse to type :D.

alh84001
v.001

03 Sep 2016, 15:53

(behold my necro skill)

After you get an SSK, and for some reason you dismiss model Fs, beamsprings, FSSKs, blue alps and everything else, there are two ways to preoccupy ones mind;
- search for industrial SSK (1395682)
- search for DisplayWrite SSK (1392464)

Good luck :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”