Field trip to Electronics Plus - any requests?

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Feb 2015, 02:36

The mystery keyboard's legends seem to be a superset of the LK201. Even the LK201 was produced with extended legends:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:LK201_top.jpg

The differences are accounted for with front printing, such as "Do" on the front of Execute, "Find" on the front of Print, and "PF1" to "PF4" across the numeric keypad. The legends are a match for each other.

I don't know that they're physically or logically compatible, although it's an unusual layout that's been precisely copied. I was using the category just for keyboards that have copied the LK201's layout key for key.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Feb 2015, 03:48

> Need to add some macro keys? Vintage Cherry blacks. About 10 of these guys, AT style connectors.

The macro switch keyboards had Cherry MX Blue switches, not Cherry MX Black. Or at least, the one I pulled a key cap off of did.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Feb 2015, 03:50

Parak wrote: Any pictures for the burroughs and sperry boards? Likely interested in those, depending on what they actually are :P
I have one of each here. See the photo set in http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ele ... t9980.html for a couple more photos, or, wait for my photo essays on each keyboard. Those may take a while as I'll need to clean each one. (They're pretty gross right now.)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Feb 2015, 09:16

elecplus wrote: Need to add some macro keys? Vintage Cherry blacks. About 10 of these guys, AT style connectors.
I want at least 2 of these!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

22 Feb 2015, 09:22

kbdfr wrote: I want at least 2 of these!
When I saw Cindys post I thought that those look like they have your name on them. Seems like there's a blue mx version, too:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10439222 ... 3095878795

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 11:27

jsoltren wrote: Speaking of Futaba switches - I won this on eBay a couple of weeks ago:
"Vintage Model 970 Keyboard Beige in Great Condition"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221676735033
I was the "helpful reader" who told the seller that the keyboard was from a Televideo terminal. :D
Muirium wrote: That's just a picture from a web search. I don't follow the price, because I don't drive. It is notoriously more expensive here in Scotland though, despite the fact it's refined here and comes out the North Sea before heading down to you! Something something "economies of scale" something something bullshit.
Don't feel bad. Canada is #5 on the list of oil producing countries and we ship most of it to the US, yet our gas (petrol) prices are around twice what Americans pay. I'm pretty sure Canada is the biggest rip-off in the world when comparing production vs. price their citizens pay.

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 11:47

I don't feel bad, I'd rather people spent 10x as much on fuel up here. I'm a walker and a rider, all those fumes are bad news to me! And all those fat bastards sitting in misty vans with the engine running and the heating on, while they scoff pies and read about how immigrants are ruining the country in the Daily Record, while the radio simultaneously blasts at them, about asylum seekers. Fucking meatheads. There's thousands of them out there, every moment of the day. If I had my way, we'd use their blubber as a fuel source.

Uh, this microphone's on?

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 12:00

I have no objections to using blubber as a fuel source. (though in Canada, I bet we'd pay more for that blubber)

Halvar

22 Feb 2015, 12:04

I'm pretty sure Canada is the biggest rip-off in the world when comparing production vs. price their citizens pay.
Oh, where I live about 66% of what we pay for gas is taxes, much more than in Canada, where it's about 33% on average if Wikipedia has it right. In Texas, of course, they pay about half of the tax we pay on a liter -- on a gallon!

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 12:32

You pay more in taxes, but Canada produces 25 times the oil that Germany does - so not counting tax, our gas should be much cheaper. We produce more than Kuwait but they pay less than 25¢/litre. I wouldn't mind paying 100% tax if the base price was 25¢. ;)

elecplus

22 Feb 2015, 12:33

All the macro bars are gone now :-)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Feb 2015, 14:52

mr_a500 wrote:
jsoltren wrote: Speaking of Futaba switches - I won this on eBay a couple of weeks ago:
"Vintage Model 970 Keyboard Beige in Great Condition"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221676735033
I was the "helpful reader" who told the seller that the keyboard was from a Televideo terminal. :D
And for this, I thank you, though I managed to determine it was a Televideo keyboard on my own. Stay tuned for photos! I can maybe get through one keyboard a weekend so I'll be busy until summertime.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Feb 2015, 14:55

Muirium wrote: [...]I'm a walker and a rider, all those fumes are bad news to me![...]
As the owner of both a very nice bicycle and a pickup truck: why can't we all just get along?

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 16:50

The people who drive around with bikes bolted to the back of their cars here, yet CUT OFF BIKES LIKE CRAZY because they forget they have them sticking out back there, have a special place in my evil plans…

Not that you're one of them of course.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Feb 2015, 17:07

The best part of riding my bike is when I overtake cars standing in traffic![emoji57]

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 17:10

The best part is overtaking bikes. Cars, well, they're either stuck behind lights or something else, and going quick is effortless for the driver. Bikes, though, it's fair contest, man to man. Or man to manly woman, sometimes. Did I ever tell you all about Scotswomen yet? Aie…

seebart

22 Feb 2015, 17:14

Oh I bet those Scotswomen are fierce![emoji6]

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 17:22

seebart wrote: The best part of riding my bike is when I overtake cars standing in traffic![emoji57]
That reminds me of a day I was overtaking cars going 70km/h. It was the fastest I ever went on a bike, riding like a maniac down a hill. About a minute after passing a car, while I was still picking up speed, the gear slipped. I crashed and flipped down the road for about 300 metres. The first thing I did when I got up (after some very loud swearing) was grab my mangled bike and throw it into the ditch.

seebart

22 Feb 2015, 17:24

That sounds VERY dangerous + really bad! No injuries?

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 17:32

43 mph? That's not so bad. I still consider it a tall tale though, because you should have cracked something badly if you hit solid ground…

The roads are piss poor in Britain so there's only a few choice slopes you can really enjoy with a bike. I like climbing up them as much as going down. The main thing I have to avoid is walkers and their bloody dogs, then sheep! Edinburgh's got bumps and potholes everywhere with gradient in town.

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 17:35

I had to go to a nearby house and get the lady there to drive me to the hospital. I still feel bad that I dripped blood on her kitchen floor.

Injuries weren't serious - just deep road rash in about 8 places and embedded gravel. Good thing I was wearing thick clothing. I still have the scars though.
Muirium wrote: 43 mph? That's not so bad.
I actually think I was going closer to 80km/h. (no speedometer, estimate based on bug impact on teeth)
Last edited by mr_a500 on 22 Feb 2015, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

22 Feb 2015, 17:37

Yup dogs are dangerous because their unpredictable in movement. Not too many sheep here in the cities, but tons of people who are less intelligent than your average sheep!

You were damn lucky then with that bike accident!

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 18:01

Deskthority thread derail!

One of the quickest hills near Edinburgh is the straight climb up to Bavelaw Castle in the Pentlands. Nicely surfaced, and closed to non-estate traffic. Pictures don't do it justice, you can easily top 40 mph down this thing without pedalling! I was last there yesterday. It's a fine climb with views of most of central Scotland from the top. The bottom is already at 1000 feet above town.

You have an audience of sheep in both sides. And bikes zipping past you on their way down. Zzzzzzzzm.

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 18:08

Awesome. Who wouldn't want to have an audience of sheep?

OK, back to keyboards...

This is one hell of a long keyboard!

Is that hall effect? I wonder what that keyboard was used for.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Feb 2015, 18:13

Next time a biker tries to shove me aside on the pavement, there'll be blood dripping as well :evil:

Quite a few bikers seem to feel entitled to leave their bikes just beside the door when then enter a shop,
forcing pedestrians to walk around them to enter the shop themselves or just pass by.
I usually carry such bikes a few meters away, it's always funny to see the face of the owners first missing their bikes :lol:

On such occasions I have been insulted almost every time and threatened quite often, by the way.
No difference there to car drivers obstructing a bike lane (I'm a biker myself).

Edit: yep, now back to keyboards :mrgreen:

seebart

22 Feb 2015, 18:20

mr_a500 wrote:Awesome. Who wouldn't want to have an audience of sheep?

OK, back to keyboards...

This is one hell of a long keyboard!

Is that hall effect? I wonder what that keyboard was used for.
That's the best TAB key I have seen in a long time!

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 18:21

I got one of those, in blue, in beamspring. But I need the U key damnit!

Meanwhile, "bike" "lanes" in Edinburgh:

The moral of the story: people are pigs. Everyone deserves a slap. And in Scotland we frequently give them!

seebart

22 Feb 2015, 18:30

I should move to Scotland then. [emoji16]

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 18:35

Muirium wrote: The main thing I have to avoid is walkers and their bloody dogs, then sheep!
I missed this bit. (kept wondering why seebart was talking about dogs)

Now I'm going to have to go off topic again. I hate god damn dog walkers! They're everywhere, at all hours of the day from 5am to midnight. They never control their dogs and think it's cute when their mutt barks and jumps all over you. Every time that happens, I have to resist the urge to kick the dog into the air like a football.

It didn't used to be this way. I remember when people who owned dogs had properties large enough for the dog to get all its exercise (and do all it's shitting) in their own yard. You'd see dogs here or there of course, but it wasn't a regular 5-times a day walking/shitting routine. Now thanks to "high-density housing" (thanks Agenda 21!), millions of people have to walk/shit/piss their dogs in parks and along roadways. Park rubbish bins are filled with dog shit. There's literally nowhere I can go to avoid those fucking dog-walkers.

OK, I have to calm down now. Back to keyboards....

That mini Sperry looks nice.

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 18:42

Just lately, I've been weaving my tyres between whole formations of little pooches smaller than house cats. Seems that BIG DUMB DOGs and oh look how adorable all of them are malificent yappy dogs are in fashion now. Same weight, many configurations!

Time was the only dogs around here were Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers and Pitbull terriers. The (painfully image conscious) mean mofos who walked them had each one on a manly chain as bling. Never thought I'd miss those skinheads.

Return to “Keyboards”