cheapo typist TKLs

jakkul

23 Feb 2015, 09:36

Hi!

I'm looking for some el'cheap'o TKL keyboard for typing. So MX Blues or Ducky Green Alps is the way to go I guess + a custom wristrest.

Keyboards that were cheap and not-so-bad are gone. I have CM Storm Quickfire Rapid and the Ducky XM 1087 on my mind.

Are there any new models that are suprisingly good considering the price in sub 70euro region?

ShivaYash

23 Feb 2015, 14:26

A Cherry offering? Usually rather cheap and of reasonable quality.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Quality- ... B0041KJKAG

Stabilized

23 Feb 2015, 15:01

Cooler Master option might be the easiest to get in the EU, are you looking for any layout in particular?

@ShivaYash: I don't think Cherry does a tenkeyless keyboard? The closest might be a g80-1800.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2015, 15:07

Indeed. I wouldn't advise a modern Cherry to anyone as the best value out there, especially if they're looking for TKL. QFR's more the way to go. Or a Ducky, which I like quite a bit.

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/ducky ... t7130.html

Interesting to hear that Alps boards are welcome to this party! But they're not the easiest thing to find in TKL either. And you're really stuck for caps upgrades. The switches are good though, arguably better than MX.

Halvar

23 Feb 2015, 15:16

The cheapo brands are Keycool and Noppoo, aren't they? I have a Noppoo Choc Mid 87 (standard tenkeyless ANSI) and IMO it's a good value. I have to admit I don't use it very often though, so I can't say much about durability.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2015, 18:18

I always forget about them. How cheap are they to lay your hands on in Europe? I once had an eye on a Poker (before I fell out with MX) and couldn't find new ones here for a sensible overall price. Not that I'm particularly good at looking!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2015, 18:24

Ducky's are nice but certainly not "cheapo".

Stabilized

23 Feb 2015, 18:26

I was thinking the same thing when recommending the QFR, it is pretty easy to pick up in Europe and a really solid TKL keyboard.

I am sure that you can find a number of TKL available if you want to go down the Chinese route. I think that both Noppoo and Keycool boards get good reviews, but watch out if you want genuine Cherry switches as I think both companies did keyboards with Cherry clones in them.

zts

23 Feb 2015, 19:05

I've never used Noppoo, but I tried Keycool TKL (the one that comes with PBT caps and no backlight). In short, not worth trying. They also use Kailh switch -- Kailh browns used in that particular Keycool TKL are just terrible.

I also see Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (basically a TKL edition) is around US $80 -- maybe you can still find an older version of this keyboard that used genuine Cherry MX blue (detachable cable, no backlight). The blues are rather loud on this one but some people like that.

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid -- if you get the backlit (newer) version be ready for a few LEDs to die within weeks. Other than that, it's a solid KB.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

23 Feb 2015, 19:13

Like Shiva said: at that price you are pretty much reduced to either a used board or cherry's G80.

Sometimes you can get some cheap Ducky Zero or CM Quickfire Rapid, if that's your thing.

Halvar

23 Feb 2015, 19:55

I guess so, too. If I was looking for a TKL <70€ I'd be camping the marketplace in this forum and ebay for a used deal.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

23 Feb 2015, 20:38

The Lioncast LK20 fits and isn't too shabby for what I've heard so far.

ShivaYash

23 Feb 2015, 20:42

Stabilized wrote: Cooler Master option might be the easiest to get in the EU, are you looking for any layout in particular?

@ShivaYash: I don't think Cherry does a tenkeyless keyboard? The closest might be a g80-1800.
I stand corrected, in my enthusiasm to answer the question, I did not properly read the OP!

Apols.

imbattable

23 Feb 2015, 21:33

guk wrote: The Lioncast LK20 fits and isn't too shabby for what I've heard so far.
I am typing on one of those right at this moment and can say they are pretty good - only downgrade is the caps, which I swapped for my granite set. If you are ok with ABS though, it is a cheap board with good build quality - defenitely up to par to ducky in my opinion.

davkol

24 Feb 2015, 23:33

Used G80-1851 can be dirt cheap in Germany. Give it some cleaning, perhaps paint the case; if it has heavily worn thin PBT caps, replace them (thick black POM can be harvested quite cheaply from similar sources); switches are PCB-mounted, thus can be easily opened and modded to whatever you like (from ghetto reds to ergo clears to ghetto greens).

Bitsquid

25 Feb 2015, 14:49

I'm also considering to buy a TKL keyboard with a german layout and MX Blues. What I don't get is why virtually every option is either partiall or fully backlit. Who wants that? That 88 LED mean 88 more components that could break or otherwise become defunct. And most custom keycaps don't support backlighting anyway...

Am I missing a really basic board that has no LED shizzle? I'm pretty happy with my Ducky Zero and would love to get that as a TKL.

Bitsquid

25 Feb 2015, 14:50

@davkol: I bought like 4 or 5 of those that I've been lending to collegues at work so they learn to appreciate mechanical keyboards! ;) So far I haven't got one of them back^^

Return to “Keyboards”