[Call for nominees] Best relic/discovery 2011

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2011, 22:14

Please suggest nominees for the Best relic/discovery in 2011.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • The Space-cadet keyboard
  • ZX-81
  • Tipro
  • 3 NIB G80-2550 for just 10 EUR per keyboard
  • HaaTa in general for his combined archeological work in 2011
  • IBM Model F AT

zoidbergslo

22 Nov 2011, 23:02

I nominate Space-cadet keyboard that webwit found :)

nathanscribe

22 Nov 2011, 23:04

Surely between you, 7bit and Ascaii, you've got this covered..?

Anyhow, I nominate the superb ZX-81 a colleague brought into work a little while ago, and possibly his minty collection of rubber-keyed Speccies. That was a good afternoon of "useful, educational development". No pics sadly.

7bit

23 Nov 2011, 09:54

zoidbergslo wrote:I nominate Space-cadet keyboard that webwit found :)
I must double that!

For myself it surely was the Tipro.

Also the 3 NIB G80-2550 for just 10 EUR per keyboard.

dicho

24 Nov 2011, 02:52

zoidbergslo wrote:I nominate Space-cadet keyboard that webwit found :)
+1 vote for that!

Daemon Raccoon

24 Nov 2011, 18:43

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

24 Nov 2011, 21:33

Well, as a recap of my year, some of these discoveries are posted, but a lot are not:
  • Burroughs/Koukusai Optical Switch Keyboard
  • Found ~33 NIB Hall Effect Keypads
  • Cortron Magnetic Switches (there's one on ebay atm)
  • Tandy 1000 has Fujitsu Leaf Springs (I'd been looking for these for a while, and found them in a somewhat common board that I thought would be sorta crappy) (they are my current favourite switch)
  • NIB Heath-Zenith Boards (no case) (acquired ~120 of these, more details as things progress)
  • Seikosha and Epson QX-10 had switches that look to be the tech that inspired Topre Switches (Pre-Topre)
  • Volker-Craig terminal keyboard had a type of Xerox switches
  • Old style SMK (similar stem to cherry)
  • Old style Futaba (in the Atari Keypad)
  • Old style NMB linears
And a bunch more next week, at least 2 keyboards with switches I haven't seen before :P.
I can elaborate if there is interest. I've just been too busy making controllers for all these boards to think about posting anything about my findings.

Minskleip

24 Nov 2011, 22:00

IBM Model F AT.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Nov 2011, 22:55

I guess we should nominate HaaTa in general for his combined archeological work in 2011.

HaaTa obtaining the Burroughs/Koukusai Optical Switch Keyboard.

Matuka

24 Nov 2011, 23:46

I'm all in with the HaaTa nominations. He's brought up some very good posts recently that has opened my eyes into the older world.

Half-Saint

25 Nov 2011, 08:20

HaaTa wrote:Well, as a recap of my year, some of these discoveries are posted, but a lot are not:

[*] NIB Heath-Zenith Boards (no case) (acquired ~120 of these, more details as things progress)
:shock:

mintberryminuscrunch

25 Nov 2011, 18:19

Half-Saint wrote:
HaaTa wrote:Well, as a recap of my year, some of these discoveries are posted, but a lot are not:

[*] NIB Heath-Zenith Boards (no case) (acquired ~120 of these, more details as things progress)
:shock:
ALPS?

ripster

25 Nov 2011, 21:15

If HaaTa is going to nominate himself I'm going to nominate myself for the Vintage Switch Wiki - the only one on the InterToobs. At least in English!

Malware Warning:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... rence+Wiki

kps

25 Nov 2011, 22:09

ripster wrote:If HaaTa is going to nominate himself I'm going to nominate myself for the Vintage Switch Wiki - the only one on the InterToobs.
I can't find the entires there for either the magnetic or the optical switches that HaaTa displayed recently.

ripster

25 Nov 2011, 22:22

Honeywell.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... l+Switches

I'll [strike]steal[/strike] borrow his pics sometime for any other weird ones he comes up with and include them too later.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

26 Nov 2011, 09:47

ripster: sure, I'm happy if my blurry-cam images help your wiki. My website is work-in-progress, but it has a somewhat up to date image listing. http://kiibohd.com/mk2/crawler_query.cgi (this loads all of my albums, grab a coffee while you wait)

Half-Saint, mintberryminuscrunch: Yup ALPs, old style. Some people have pics, but I'm not releasing anything atm. I've had a working controller for about 9 months now.

webwit, Matuka: Thanks! Yeah, I nearly had a heart attack when I took off the plate of the Burroughs Keyboard.

This coming week is going to be fun :D, after I recover from my Thanksgiving food coma :P
Eventually, when I get my website more complete, I'll start posting protocol waveforms and the code for more USB converters.

Return to “Deskthority Awards 2011”