Interested on trying buckling springs - Model F / M

FucaBala

09 Oct 2021, 11:46

Hello folks,

I'm a new user user so apologies if I'm saying anything stupid :)

I joined the mechanical keyboards train roughly 3 years ago, when I first tried a cherry Mx Blue keyboard and decided to get one for myself.

I tested a lot of keyboards from my colleagues but no matter what kind of switch they were putting on the keyboard, I found to be roughly the same thing, no matter the switch model.

After looking into switches which could feel and sound different, I noticed the buckling springs from Model F and M keyboards.

Based purely on the looks, I found the new model F, more specifically the F77 simply amazing and I'm really considering buying one, however is a big investment to make, (plus shipping to UK and taxes) without even trying any buckling springs before.

I'm not questioning the build quality of these keyboards, which I'm sure is outstanding, but I'm worried about buying something which is not my cup of tea.

Now that things are opening up again after COVID, does anyone knows if there are any meetings being organized or any other suggestion so I could have a brief contact with these keyboards before buying one?

Thanks so much and wish you a great day.

FucaBala.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2021, 11:55

I'd definitely recommend trying an M and an F in person before you buy anything. F is instantly compelling! You know if you like it on first touch.

Ellipse's re-creations are a bit variable in quality. He has to handle modern Chinese manufacturing, with all the dodgy consistency that involves. (He could use some better QA, and a customer support person for that matter!) The F77 is a great form factor, though. Just beware it's not guaranteed nirvana. There are gotchas.

What do you think of the Model M layout? I'm a Model F stalwart myself, but I use my SSK a lot more than its switch feel alone deserves, because the layout is so good.

Speaking of which, here's my spare SSK, which I'm thinking of selling. So, uh, nudge nudge. :lol:

IMG_9368-.jpg
IMG_9368-.jpg (115.41 KiB) Viewed 13040 times
But forgetting that, just think about the layout. Is there a Model F which suits you more than this? Model M is compelling, because it wrote the standard.

Go-Kart

10 Oct 2021, 00:48

"Spare SSK", ridiculous!

Where abouts are you in the UK Fuca? Welcome by the way!

wobbled

10 Oct 2021, 01:12

Muirium wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 11:55
I'd definitely recommend trying an M and an F in person before you buy anything. F is instantly compelling! You know if you like it on first touch.

Ellipse's re-creations are a bit variable in quality. He has to handle modern Chinese manufacturing, with all the dodgy consistency that involves. (He could use some better QA, and a customer support person for that matter!) The F77 is a great form factor, though. Just beware it's not guaranteed nirvana. There are gotchas.

What do you think of the Model M layout? I'm a Model F stalwart myself, but I use my SSK a lot more than its switch feel alone deserves, because the layout is so good.

Speaking of which, here's my spare SSK, which I'm thinking of selling. So, uh, nudge nudge. :lol:

IMG_9368-.jpg

But forgetting that, just think about the layout. Is there a Model F which suits you more than this? Model M is compelling, because it wrote the standard.
How much would you be asking for said SSK mu :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

10 Oct 2021, 13:06

See what I mean? :lol:

vyquad

17 Jan 2022, 14:15

i have used both a model m and f, i would stick with a model F unless you like the model M's heavier springs

zippolupan

17 Jan 2022, 14:33

If you enjoyed MX Blues, I'd be very surprised to see you disliking a Model F.

In any case, even if you end up buying a Model F to try it out, it will hardly go down in value, so you can test it rather safely and re-sell it afterwards on the off chance you still prefer the blues :)

thefarside

21 Jan 2022, 18:37

I prefer the feel of the Model F over the M, but like the Model M layout better, so I find myself switching between the two. You can’t go wrong with either, so I think it boils down to how important the layout is and your budget. A Model F is hard to get for less than ~$300 shipped, whereas a Model M can be purchased new for ~$100.

Return to “Try before you buy”