Nixies ?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Mar 2015, 14:40

Does someone have enough nixies to send three or four over the world? :)

scottc

03 Mar 2015, 14:43

7bit sells them for 6 euro a pop...

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Mar 2015, 16:14

Ah, yeah. Would still be cheaper for everyone to ship a arrow-cluster country to country than to buy 4 nixies, though. :)

HzFaq

03 Mar 2015, 16:32

I think I might still have a few spares kicking about, let me check later on and I'll get back to you.

HzFaq

04 Mar 2015, 20:35

Confirmed! I can spare you 4 if you want. PM me your details.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Mar 2015, 10:38

Would be nice to put them on a mini PCB and organize a tour, don't you think?

I guess I should not be the only one interested to try them out. :)

andrewjoy

05 Mar 2015, 10:48

as far as i know they are just vintage blacks with a clear top

that being said i would try em out if it was on its way around europe

Stabilized

05 Mar 2015, 10:49

Yeah me too, I would like to see what all the fuss is about.

andrewjoy

05 Mar 2015, 10:52

i am going to finally get around to harvesting the 2 wise boards i have, if i have any left over i can do the same with vintage blacks. I think only the wise 50 i have is a true vintage black with the lighter spring and all

i am retrofitting them into my filco tkl so hopefully i will have some left

HzFaq

05 Mar 2015, 11:01

I do have a spare PCB kicking around, just need to desolder it. I'll add a Nixie try PCB to my list of things to do, might be a while before anything happens with it though.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Mar 2015, 12:26

HzFaq wrote: I do have a spare PCB kicking around, just need to desolder it. I'll add a Nixie try PCB to my list of things to do, might be a while before anything happens with it though.
Nice. That would be great if the first destination is andrewjoy so he adds vintage blacks (and normal blacks if possible) on the PCB so we can really compare things.

Demystification incoming!

HzFaq

05 Mar 2015, 12:37

It's going to be a while before I get around to it, I've got quite a bit on my plate at the minute.

My plan would be to hacksaw up a numpad into clusters like ceesa's little WASD switch try boards and have one with Nixies, one with "modern" blacks and one with reds or something. I can do an extra one if andrew is up for supplying any spare vintage blacks so there will be even more comparison.

My only worry would be that as Nixies aren't particularly common that it would go missing...I supose that is a problem with all of these switch try boards though.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Mar 2015, 13:00

Well, there is a Realforce traveling all around Europe without problem, and the Realforce still costs more than four nixies. :)

HzFaq

05 Mar 2015, 13:11

The Realforce is shipped tracked and insured IIRC. I'm just being cynical I guess, I'm sure it'll be fine...

Return to “Try before you buy”