OLKB Planck EU Tour

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 May 2017, 11:54

Heya,

some folks have been putting together a little mini-tour of an OLKB Planck with ErgoClears!

Please let me know if you are interested since we are planning the tour now. Looking for members with at least 100 posts and I still reserve the right to pick participants at will. Shipping costs will be YOUR obligation, please be prepared to:

- Receive the keyboard when it's your turn
- Test it for 2 weeks MAX!
- Pay shipping to the next participant in line (EU only to limit the costs a little)

Here's the video of me building said keyboard:

marijan

02 May 2017, 11:59

Count me in :-)

fruitalgorithm

02 May 2017, 14:23

I'd love to try it.

Stabilized

02 May 2017, 17:22

I'm down for this, been curious about these orthos for a while now!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 May 2017, 11:19

Great to see some people interested.

We've got a little Telegram chat group for the planning, please message me on Telegram to get invited ( @woutan !!!)
No obligation to join the chat group, just makes things a little easier to coordinate

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 14:00

Wow really amazing.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 May 2017, 14:19

Thanks for bumping this. Planck is currently traveling already, please post here when interested in participating

alh84001
v.001

24 May 2017, 19:26

The board is now at my possession. I'll keep it at my place for about a week, and then send it on. Who's next in line?

As for the board itself, I must say that plank is a nicer build than preonic. Part of it is being more compact (if you can call preonic not compact), but part of it is the bottom case, which is nicer. My first time with ergo-clears, and initial impression - a really subtle switch, not as sharp as alps or buckling spring, but it should work for longer typing sessions quite well. A tiny bit wobbly as well, but that might be down to keycaps. I don't know if I'll be able to fully evaluate it since it's an ortho, but we'll see.

fruitalgorithm

07 Aug 2017, 11:37

Just got it today. What a beautiful board. It really feels solid. Thank you Wodan.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Aug 2017, 14:08

Thanks for the update, great news :) take good care of it and let me know when you are done testing it :)

TuxKey
LLAP

07 Aug 2017, 14:34

i have bin looking at the plank for a while now but i settled on two Leopold models
a while back because i thought perhaps still think it a bit that the minimum size for a
keyboard is 60% with arrow cluster.
Wanted to ask you guys how would one do the following without a dedicated arrow cluster?
The list goes for text editing and modifying large file names that consist of multiple parts like title.season.episode_number jumping to the next dot and selecting one part
of a name goes way easier with a dedicated arrow cluster.

example of arrow cluster usage.

- switch screen (not related but also something i often use)
left Ctrl + left/right arrow

- go to start / end of sentence (txt file)
cmd + left/right arrow

- jump to end / start of a word
alt + left/right arrow
- select a word from left or right side depending on location of cursor.
option + shift + left/right arrow

- select part of sentence jumping one word per time depending on location of cursor.
alt + shift + left/right arrow

The reason why i ask is that a friend of mine got the Vortex Core with mx-clears a while back from mykeyobard.eu (love to see more eu stores btw). he brought it along a while back and the one problem i had with it was missing the arrow cluster so i wanted to get your take on it..

one thing that was lacking on the Vortex was that it was not fully programmable.
in my humble opinion a must for 40% in fact after getting the Hasu module in my FC660C
i would say it’s a must for every keyboard. To bad he doesn’t sell one for the FC660M.

Accessing the arrow cluster true a second / third layer is all good an well.
but if you want to edit text doing combo’s that seems to be too hard perhaps impractical??
Like extreme finger gymnastics..

One thing that i’m sure of is how good the Vortex and even better the planck looks.
i would go for a split spacebar and use that for combo’s like enter and backspace.
(Like f+left spacebar = backspace and j+right spacebar = enter.)
The ergo clear part realy sounds good.. one thing i wanted to do in the future is modify my FC660M
making it fully programmable (clueboard PCB) and adding ergo-clears but i don’t have a soldering / desoldering iron so that’s why it’s a future project if at all.
But that’s a different story ;-)

one more question how do the 62g purple zeal switches compare to 62g ergo clears ??

mecano

16 Aug 2017, 17:24

The key are the layers for the planck, give a key a switching layer function and it's like you have double your keys.
I.e. holding down that key switch all or part of keys functions.
Here I have a layer set as a numpad plus physics and monetary symbols, a layer for diacritics and special characters, a layer for the GUI (arrows, tab selections, screen rotation [and yes I'm on OSX too], etc.), two sub layers of the numpad for exponants and subs, etc.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Sep 2017, 14:55

The Planck found its way back to me this week and I would like to thank everyone for participating :)

It was really fun!

TuxKey
LLAP

16 Apr 2018, 18:00

very interested since i watched this vid..
https://youtu.be/Ecvz5wzJ-RQ
And after seeing the Niu Mini 40% DIY Kit on KBD..for $105 add sum nice kailh or gateron and youre ready to rumble..
only two things holding me back..

1) i want to be sure i can learn to type on it without getting mad..
So need a smart layout that gives me quick access to the arrow cluster in combination with alt+shift+left arrow you know to select text.. And Ctrl+left arrow to switch desktops...

i think having the arrow cluster on the right side might accomplish that but i'm not 100% sure..
Also how does one program the layout on these things hahha
But i would say the Layout Wodan has is perfect as is ..i thougt this review had a better layout but taking a second look Wodan's layout is the better option for me..
https://youtu.be/Ecvz5wzJ-RQ

Return to “Try before you buy”