Ergodox Euro Tour

hook

15 Jan 2018, 10:00

I confirm that I just received it from Rimrul and it is in great condition.

First impressions:

- surprinisgly well built for what was described as a cheap version
- I‘m using it as I received it, but with a Neo2 layout set up in Linux (software-side)
- I miss the function row, is there a modifier to trigger that layer?
- as others have commented before, the thumb cluster apart from the 2u keys is pretty hard to reach, especially if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts
- on a similar note, I can‘t seem to locate Alt, AltGr or the >/< button – I use these as modifiers
- a split keyboard does seem more comfortable, and the wrist rests as well, but I seem to be sweating a bit due to the writs rests
- I miss the guiding dots or bars on the home row
- I found out I really don‘t like the Gateron browns (hugs his Matias Quiet Clicks)

Overall, this should be a fun trial and I’m looking forward to building the Dactyl with Kailh BOX Jade switches :)

Thank you, Stabilized, for making this tour, and Rirmul for sending it over!

Lustique

16 Jan 2018, 00:12

Concerning the AltGr key: I don't know whether Rimrul has changed the location of the AltGr key, but Daniel had the board beforehand and
As a altgr-intl layout user I'm currently contemplating where I would put AltGr to enable the third layer. Probably bottom most single unit key.

Have you tried that key already?

On another note, as you wrote that you use Neo on Linux: Do you use this as your only layout? I'm kind of trying out Neo since around Christmas myself (also on Linux), but I have it set up together with QWERTZ, so I can switch easily, and switching between QWERTZ and Neo doesn't seem to work properly, in neither direction.

localectl says:

Code: Select all

System Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
               LC_COLLATE=C
    VC Keymap: de-latin1-nodeadkeys
   X11 Layout: de,de
    X11 Model: pc105    
  X11 Variant: nodeadkeys,neo
  X11 Options: compose:rwin,grp:ctrls_toggle

This way, if I switch to Neo (and I don't forget to turn of Numlock…), the first two layers work, but not the others (which makes this ‘Neo’ completely useless), and if I change the order to ‘neo,nodeadkeys’, the normal AltGr layer doesn't work with the standard QWERTZ layout anymore. I can switch between the different layouts with ‘setxkbmap’ without problems, but this is really inconvenient, especially when I'm usingstruggling with Neo again and just need QWERTZ to type in a password or something (because of muscle memory) once in a while…
as others have commented before, the thumb cluster apart from the 2u keys is pretty hard to reach, especially if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts

I guess I can already say this board wouldn't work out for me in the long run. I have pretty small hands, so if people with (I assume) normal sized hands already have problems with the thumb clusters… Nonetheless, I still want to try it out. Should I write a PM to Stabilized? He doesn't seem to be active here at the moment.

hook

16 Jan 2018, 10:21

Lustique wrote: Concerning the AltGr key: I don't know whether Rimrul has changed the location of the AltGr key, but Daniel had the board beforehand and
As a altgr-intl layout user I'm currently contemplating where I would put AltGr to enable the third layer. Probably bottom most single unit key.

Have you tried that key already?

Thanks!

I found the Alt on the top right 1u key of the left hand thumb cluster; and the AltGr on the top left 1u key of the right hand cluster. The outermost 1u keys on the top of the thumb cluster both seem to be Ctrl.
On another note, as you wrote that you use Neo on Linux: Do you use this as your only layout?
Yes. I have it set as the default layout and then if anyone borrows my laptop for a short while, I switch the layout in the DE to whatever they are used to the most.
as others have commented before, the thumb cluster apart from the 2u keys is pretty hard to reach, especially if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts

I guess I can already say this board wouldn't work out for me in the long run. I have pretty small hands, so if people with (I assume) normal sized hands already have problems with the thumb clusters… Nonetheless, I still want to try it out. Should I write a PM to Stabilized? He doesn't seem to be active here at the moment.
I think you should still give it a try. The thumb cluster problem is not that much an issue of hand size as it is of just in general odd design decisions inherited from Maltron. You‘d have to have another index finger instead of a thumb if you wanted to reach the 1u keys comfortably.

(typed on the ErgoDox, sorry for being concise)

hook

20 Jan 2018, 21:20

After playing with it a bit more, I can say that the split layout is very much useful and grew more used to the modifiers.

If I were to adopt it, I would still rework the thumb cluster. Looking at e.g. Keyboard.io, it seems they have a good idea going there.

As for the layout, this is the one I received (although I used Neo2 over it) and will send it forward unaltered.

I‘m surprised at how easy the line nav is to get used to, but the edge keys and modifiers, I would probably mix around quite a bit. The Fn layout could easily be used for more than just turning number row into F row, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected to have the F keys on a separate level, even though I use them often and even with two additional modifiers (e.g. Shift+Win+F3 is “move active window to desktop 3”). The Tab a row lower still causes me to grief.
ErgoDox (US) layout
ErgoDox (US) layout
keyboard-layout.png (84.42 KiB) Viewed 19804 times
If it suddenly seems like your keyboard doesn’t work anymore, it is most likely that you turned on the Fn Lock (or Num Lock, but that is easier to guess) – just press it again and it will act normal.

(again, typed on ErgoDox and hence a bit more terse than usual)

hook

07 Feb 2018, 10:59

I have just sent it forward to RaleghDirat and sent him the tracking number per PM.

AdrianMan

08 Feb 2018, 17:11

hook wrote: I have just sent it forward to RaleghDirat and sent him the tracking number per PM.
Hey!

Considering there is no answer from the creator of the tour, do you think I could get in line and try the ergodox for 2 weeks? In EU-RO

Thanks a lot :)

Stabilized

09 Feb 2018, 11:47

Sorry everyone for the radio silence, been a bit busy over here, finally back in Scotland though.
AdrianMan wrote: Considering there is no answer from the creator of the tour, do you think I could get in line and try the ergodox for 2 weeks? In EU-RO
Hey, that's fine with me, I'll add you to the list.

Also thanks for heads up RaleghDirat 8-)

AdrianMan

09 Feb 2018, 12:37

Stabilized wrote:
Hey, that's fine with me, I'll add you to the list.
Welcome back :)

Thanks for putting me in line!

TuxKey
LLAP

18 Feb 2018, 22:11

very interesting to read how people like the layout and typing..Always have bin a bit curios about the Ergodox.
Personally i tried "the Truly Ergonomic keyboard" and found out i don't know how to touch type hahaha really stink at typing.. but on my small 65% leopold i'm doing ok.. really need to learn to touch type.. hahaa...
like i said fun to read all the experiences..

AdrianMan

19 Feb 2018, 17:13

TuxKey wrote: very interesting to read how people like the layout and typing..Always have bin a bit curios about the Ergodox.
Personally i tried "the Truly Ergonomic keyboard" and found out i don't know how to touch type hahaha really stink at typing.. but on my small 65% leopold i'm doing ok.. really need to learn to touch type.. hahaa...
like i said fun to read all the experiences..
When I started with mechs I did not touch type also and felt I was missing out, I forced myself to touch type every day at work and in about 3-4 months I was back to my original speed and started slowly to increase, now I sometimes get +10 wpm faster than the old freestyle way.

Really curious about how will the ergodox feel :)

Lustique

25 Feb 2018, 11:21

Ok, before I forget to do this again, and hoping I'm not too late:

Could you add me to the queue, as well?

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

07 Mar 2018, 18:03

It was nice to try, but I cannot get used to this layout. Will keep to my WKL keyboards.
Thank you.

Stabilized

14 Mar 2018, 18:11

Lustique wrote: Ok, before I forget to do this again, and hoping I'm not too late:

Could you add me to the queue, as well?
Sure thing, will add you now!

snoopy

14 Mar 2018, 22:22

I always wanted to try one of these. If I qualify, please also put me on the list. :)

Lustique

15 Mar 2018, 20:49

Stabilized wrote: Sure thing, will add you now!
Thanks!

AdrianMan

26 Mar 2018, 17:29

Just got the package now :) I'll post further updates after I play with it for a week or two and speak with next in line :)

Woo !

AdrianMan

05 Apr 2018, 14:40

Lustique wrote:
Stabilized wrote: Sure thing, will add you now!
Thanks!
I've sent the keyboard further, to Lustique, it should arrive in 7-10 days tops :)

Thanks a lot for this tour, it was a great experience, also the curiosity for the Ergodox contributed for a meetup with some other keyboard enthusiasts here in my city, and led to some happy times.

My impressions TLDR:
Split is awesome, Ergodox layout too different for me to start re-learning again.
Result: I bought a split staggered V.EA taobao clone off rmk :lol:

Thanks again !
Adrian

Lustique

13 Apr 2018, 19:42

Obligatory status update:

I received the package today (in fact, I just got it from a neighbour who accepted it for me)!

1. This feels rather weird, but not necessarily bad.
2. Although the Board is currently in (some kind of) QWERTZ layout, which I normally use most of the time, I can't type for shit, but if I switch to Neo (on the software/OS side), which I try to use occasionally, I'm still bad, but not much worse than I am with a normal keyboard, and that almost immediatly. This is really quite funny. What's not so funny is the fact that I keep mixing up space and backspace…
3. What are the two five pence coins for?

klincheR

14 Sep 2018, 10:25

hey is this keyboard still traveling ? Im in germany and would love to try the layout.

rymut

04 Nov 2018, 16:33

I got curious about ergodox, so if it is still possible I would like to try the keyboard as well (Poland).

Ralph_IT

24 Jan 2019, 08:30

@Stabilized:

I know I do not meet the requierements for applying to test the keyboard, but I am curious about if you will "soften" a little the rules so those interested (as myself) will, someday, be able give it a try. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

remiUP

06 Apr 2019, 13:14

Hi, I'm from France and I would be very interested in trying out this keyboard. I'm fairly new to this forum, as I'm more of a lurker I don't post. I'm willing to provide anything that could show my trustworthiness. Best regards :)

Return to “Try before you buy”