The Switch Try Bag version 2. CONUS

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Feb 2013, 23:33

Bag has arrived. My weekends plans are now ruined. I can't resist the pull of the switches!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

09 Feb 2013, 01:15

prdlm2009 wrote:Bag has arrived. My weekends plans are now ruined. I can't resist the pull of the switches!
Tried all the switches already. Probably have a summary up this weekend.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

09 Feb 2013, 16:07

Ok, I will not comment on every switch, because I think a couple other users already have done a great job reviewing the switches. I will just give some thoughts on the ones that I found interesting.

Cherry Linear
MX Red: Very light, perhaps the lightest switch of the entire try bag. I have two keyboards with MX Reds, and I've grown used to them. Everything else feels too heavy now. However, I prefer tactility.
MX Black/MX Grey: Eh. All too heavy for me after these months of using MX Red. I have one keyboard that had MX Black and changed it out.
MY/M7: Interesting addition, but there definitely seems to be a difference in quality and feel compared to the newer switches.

Cherry Tactile
MX Brown: The tactile bump is very light on these. If I had a board full of these, it would feel almost linear if I got typing fast.
MX Clear: Heavier than MX Brown. I have a board with MX Clear, and I find they might be too heavy for my liking if I am typing for awhile. The whole reason I went with mechanical keyboards was to prevent the fatigue caused after hours of straight typing on rubber domes. Not sure if MX clear would relieve me of that pain.
MX Dark Grey: See above comment on MX clear, only heavier.
ML: These would be great on a laptop, much better than the typical scissor switches we are finding these days. I think people give the Cherry ML a bad rap, but I never have typed on a board full of these, so what do I know?
M81: No comment.

Cherry Clicky
MX Blue: These are my favorite Cherry switch. The tactile feedback in the right force for me, and I don't mind the click. When
MX Green/White: Way to heavy switch for me.

Misc Vintage Clicky
Acer Clicky: Both the Black and White are very springy. They pop right back up after they reach actuation.
Chicony MX Fake White: Thanks, but no thanks.
Futaba: Almost a linear clicky. Not a fan, however.
KPT Blue Alps: Requires quite a bit of force to reach actuation. You should know my thoughts on heavy switches by now.
Monterey Blue: I'm pretty sure I have the non-clicky version of this switch on my Apple IIGS keyboard. I like the switch, but when I compare it to an Alps switch, the Monterey Blue feels scratchy and knock off.
Orange Omron: Feels just a tad heavier than Monterey Blue. I like it.

Model M: This switch deserves it's own category because I've heard so much about it. I've been thinking about buying a buckling spring out of curiosity because people love them so much. Definitely unique, and cannot have imitators. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but it feels like a heavy linear switch with a loud click. Certainly will reduce accidental key touches. That's my first impression. If I am typing fast like I am now, I'm not sure if I will enjoy using the switch because it requires a good amount of force. What I really need to do is get myself a buckling spring keyboard so I can see what all the hubbub is about. I guess that I am dead to AKIMbO.

Misc Tactile Switches:
Topre: Been wanting to try these for a long time now. The actuation near the top the key press, then the subsequent bottom out, makes them more unique than most mechanical or rubber dome switches. They do retain some of that rubber dome mushiness. Regardless, I am intrigued. I could get used to those switches. So when does the CONUS Realforce Tour begin? Anybody want to sell me their uTron for a greatly reduced price?
Mitsumi: Feels somewhat similar to the Topre with the actuation near the top of the key press, but much less smooth. Interesting, thanks for including this one.

Honeywell Hall Effect: Ummm. I needed a hammer to bottom out on these.

ALPS Clicky: These might be my favorite bunch. ALPS seem to be sturdier, smoother, and more springy than most Cherry switches. When I compare Cherry vs. Alps side-by-side, I prefer the Alps.

ALPS Tactile: The Orange Complicated Tactile Alps might be my favorite switch of the whole switch try bag. It has less noise than a clicky switch, and requires less force than most Alps switches, but still has plenty of tactility.

Ok that's all I feel like doing for now. Here are some final thoughts:

1. If you gave me the option between Cherry or Alps switches for my ultimate keyboard, I would take Alps eight days a week. Alps all the way!
2. My curiosity for Buckling Spring and Topre keyboards has only increased.
3. My hatred for rubber dome grows ever stronger.

Thanks for this opportunity!

shibbyllama

24 Feb 2013, 15:21

Can I still sign up for round 2? If so, sign me up! Pennsylvania, USA

Mrinterface

24 Feb 2013, 15:25

Yes, PM ascaii with your details. Read the OP.

shibbyllama

24 Feb 2013, 19:29

Mrinterface wrote:Yes, PM ascaii with your details. Read the OP.
Ah jeez missed that part, my bad! PM Sent.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Aug 2013, 01:55

I still have this bag laying around. Are we going to send it on to anywhere. I would like to pass it on to a curious home!

Mrinterface

24 Aug 2013, 20:29

You can send it back to me. Let's re-start this one.....

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Aug 2013, 22:31

Mrinterface wrote:You can send it back to me. Let's re-start this one.....
Are you going to send it back to the USA? Because I can hold it for you until somebody new shows some interest. I cannot believe that nobody else has shown interest.

Mrinterface

24 Aug 2013, 22:51

prdlm2009 wrote:
Mrinterface wrote:You can send it back to me. Let's re-start this one.....
Are you going to send it back to the USA? Because I can hold it for you until somebody new shows some interest. I cannot believe that nobody else has shown interest.
Ascaii should have a list of people interested..... I'll ping him....

sherryton

07 Oct 2013, 12:46

Can I still get on the list?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

09 Oct 2013, 01:13

sherryton wrote:Can I still get on the list?
I still have the switch bag. We would need to check with ASCII, but I can send it whenever I need to. I would love to get this thing off my desk.

Mrinterface

10 Oct 2013, 23:20

prdlm2009 has generously offered to volunteer as a sinklist manager.
Any communication on the follow-up of this item can be done through him.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Oct 2013, 13:10

Mrinterface wrote:prdlm2009 has generously offered to volunteer as a sinklist manager.
Any communication on the follow-up of this item can be done through him.
Almost true. Deskthority management threatened me with Model M beatings until I "generously volunteered." But I will be the new sinklist manager, regardless. And love it!

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2013, 13:21

Be glad they weren't Model F beatings!

Return to “Try before you buy”