Cherry MX Switch Tester

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2013, 13:04

Hey all,

I figure most of you already have a pretty good knowlegde about the different Cherry MX switches but maybe not everybody here or people who you are helping on other forums or friends and family. Therefore I thought I might as well post this here as well.

We will have in stock shortly in EU and is already in stock in US a Cherry MX switch tester. (Pictures below). This switch tester will ship with a voucher for a discount of the purchase price on a mechanical keyboard from the same EU or US webshop!

EU: http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboard ... ch-tester/
US: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-k ... emo-board/

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2013, 13:09

this is a great idea. thanks! I bet many newbies will take one of those thingies.

it seems that CM is really into keyboard lately. This is a great news for all of us... I hope we will be able to lower overall mech-keyboard price! (death to Logitech!)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2013, 13:12

matt3o wrote:this is a great idea. thanks! I bet many newbies will take one of those thingies.

it seems that CM is really into keyboard lately. This is a great news for all of us... I hope we will be able to lower overall mech-keyboard price! (death to Logitech!)
Yeah I agree.. And with the fact that you have it for 'free' (ex shipping costs) if you purchase a mechanical KB from the webshop its a pretty neet thingy to test what switch is your favorite :)

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

16 Dec 2013, 13:30

This is a great service to the community.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

17 Dec 2013, 10:42

Game Theory wrote:This is a great service to the community.
Good to hear you guys like this idea :D!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Dec 2013, 10:44

also, since you are here. a compact wireless keyboard would be nice. whenever you are ready. I take 2.

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2013, 12:11

Sure. HHKB + Bluetooth, please!

Meanwhile, this tester is a great move. Many of us simply don't have access to mechanical keyboards in stores. Believe it or not, the way I tried the MX line was when I bought one of Mr. Interface's legendary samplers:
More expensive than your offer, and long since sold out, but gloriously comprehensive. It was the quintessential welcome to Deskthority: a treasure trove of new and ancient switches so you'll know what to look out for when hunting!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

17 Dec 2013, 16:14

matt3o wrote:also, since you are here. a compact wireless keyboard would be nice. whenever you are ready. I take 2.
Haha any idea is welcome. What kind of switch wireless KB? (Not making promises ;)....)
Muirium wrote:Sure. HHKB + Bluetooth, please!

Meanwhile, this tester is a great move. Many of us simply don't have access to mechanical keyboards in stores. Believe it or not, the way I tried the MX line was when I bought one of Mr. Interface's legendary samplers:

More expensive than your offer, and long since sold out, but gloriously comprehensive. It was the quintessential welcome to Deskthority: a treasure trove of new and ancient switches so you'll know what to look out for when hunting!
Oef look at that collection of all those different switches :geek: :o :D
And about the switch tester we will also be providing these to some stores where they sell our KBs

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Dec 2013, 16:30

CM Bram wrote:
matt3o wrote:also, since you are here. a compact wireless keyboard would be nice. whenever you are ready. I take 2.
Haha any idea is welcome. What kind of switch wireless KB? (Not making promises ;)....)
MX Blue, of course. Is there anything else? :P

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

18 Dec 2013, 08:48

matt3o wrote:MX Blue, of course. Is there anything else? :P
Haha, no comment :P :evilgeek:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Dec 2013, 08:59

CM Bram wrote:
really... for a compact wireless keyboard I would also take MX Red (the hell switch!)... who cares I would replace them later :)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

19 Dec 2013, 15:34

matt3o wrote:
CM Bram wrote:
really... for a compact wireless keyboard I would also take MX Red (the hell switch!)... who cares I would replace them later :)
Haha okay okay, the DT community can prob replace that but the most other users cannot ... :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 15:40

right

1 Blue and 1 Red then, so you make typists and gamers happy

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

19 Dec 2013, 16:24

matt3o wrote:right

1 Blue and 1 Red then, so you make typists and gamers happy
Haha.. Will keep it in mind but we are drifting away from the tester topic :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Dec 2013, 09:13

okay. back on topic.

It is very difficult to evaluate a switch from just one key (that you usually pressed with your index). If I had to make a suggestion it would be to place at least two switches per type so you can press them with index and medium or medium and ring finger. That wouldn't be like the real deal, but definitely an improvement.

hope that helps.

Muirium
µ

21 Dec 2013, 12:28

Mmm… the only real step up from a single switch tester is a full keyboard. And a tester is *much* better than nothing. This one even has MX green and clear on it: commendable. Think of all the poor newbs who have bought their first mech keyboard with browns, and then figure out their mistake! Go straight to clear, kids. Or if you're clicky, give green a shot. It's my lasting favourite.

scottc

21 Dec 2013, 13:31

I remember that someone here recently had made WASD-shape and WASD-alike tester sets, all of the same switch type. It seems like a reasonable way of doing it. I find it really difficult to assess how a keyboard full of some switch would feel just from trying a single switch (though it certainly is better than nothing!).

kint

21 Dec 2013, 16:05

Sounds like you're talking about CeeSAs switch try gaming PCBs, not recently though, they seem to be lost sadly:
http://deskthority.net/try-before-you-b ... -t780.html

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

09 Jan 2014, 11:56

Muirium wrote:Mmm… the only real step up from a single switch tester is a full keyboard. And a tester is *much* better than nothing. This one even has MX green and clear on it: commendable. Think of all the poor newbs who have bought their first mech keyboard with browns, and then figure out their mistake! Go straight to clear, kids. Or if you're clicky, give green a shot. It's my lasting favourite.
Agreed but at a low price and even with a gift code it at least gives some info about the switches and how they feel and such... Problem with greens and clears is that they are not as available on keyboards as the other switches.

Small note to all: From NOW available and I already saw some orders coming in from DT forum users so good to see the interest in this product! Thanks guys :)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

20 Jan 2014, 11:55

Small extra note on the gift-code/coupon you will receive with the purchase:

- For purchases from the US store the code will be shipped to you on your packing slip
- For purchases from the EU store the code will be send to you via the email you provided with your purchase.

:mrgreen:

ray4jc

24 Jan 2014, 18:32

CM Bram wrote:Small extra note on the gift-code/coupon you will receive with the purchase:

- For purchases from the US store the code will be shipped to you on your packing slip
- For purchases from the EU store the code will be send to you via the email you provided with your purchase.

Hmmm, US order here and all I got was the switch tester in a yellow bubble mailer with no paperwork. :?

Grendel

26 Jan 2014, 08:15

ray4jc wrote:
CM Bram wrote:Small extra note on the gift-code/coupon you will receive with the purchase:

Hmmm, US order here and all I got was the switch tester in a yellow bubble mailer with no paperwork. :?
Ditto. Ordered a 2nd one later, came the same way -- no paperwork at all.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Jan 2014, 08:34

Grendel wrote: Ditto. Ordered a 2nd one later, came the same way -- no paperwork at all.
Hey there.. Did you order from the US store or the EU store?
If you ordered from the US store the code is on you shipping bill and if he ordered from the EU store the code will be sent to you via email! If not send me a PM with the order nr so I will double check for you!
Last edited by Bramster on 27 Jan 2014, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Jan 2014, 08:35

ray4jc wrote:

The redemption code is provided on the packing slip included with the order. If not send me a PM with the order nr so I will double check for you!

Grendel

28 Jan 2014, 00:41

CM Bram wrote:
Grendel wrote: Ditto. Ordered a 2nd one later, came the same way -- no paperwork at all.
If you ordered from the US store the code is on you shipping bill and if he ordered from the EU store the code will be sent to you via email! If not send me a PM with the order nr so I will double check for you!
US store. PM sent, thanks !

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Jan 2014, 12:05

Grendel wrote:
CM Bram wrote:
US store. PM sent, thanks !
Hi there.

I have forwarded your PM order numbers to my US colleagues. They will look into it and contact you asap!

Grendel

28 Jan 2014, 18:51

They did in a flurry of emails :D Thanks for lighting the fire ;)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

29 Jan 2014, 17:00

Grendel wrote:They did in a flurry of emails :D Thanks for lighting the fire ;)
No problem sir, one of the reasons I am here! let me know if it is fixed or not :)!

Grendel

29 Jan 2014, 21:26

Not sure what you threatened them with, but It's fixed now -- got three emails w/ the code from different people, a phone call (was away from the phone, reverse look-up said it was CM), and the codes now show up in the order details of the US store. :D

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

30 Jan 2014, 13:42

Grendel wrote:Not sure what you threatened them with, but It's fixed now -- got three emails w/ the code from different people, a phone call (was away from the phone, reverse look-up said it was CM), and the codes now show up in the order details of the US store. :D
Haha let me just say I know who to contact... Haha no just kidding.. :D Because you weren't the only one we had to make sure it will not happen again in the future..

Return to “Try before you buy”