The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

Gascogne

16 Feb 2012, 21:03

CeeSA wrote:välkommet Gascogne!
Tackar. :D (Thank you)

Recoil3842

18 Feb 2012, 20:09

Hello all. I would like to put my name forward for this list. I hope the fact this is my first post does not prevent me from joining. I live in the UK.

CeeSA

18 Feb 2012, 22:27

no, welcome.

Gascogne

19 Feb 2012, 13:27

CeeSA wrote:no, welcome.
Welcome = Välkommen
Thank you = Tackar

:mrgreen:

Recoil3842

20 Feb 2012, 14:52

Thanks for sticking me on the list. I look forward to receiving and testing the switches out.

AncientWisdom

22 Feb 2012, 07:18

Hi, awesome idea!

can you add me to Australia please?

Thanks!

CeeSA

22 Feb 2012, 09:18

taataa!
This makes the australian group 5 participants. So the PCB are going to Australia.
I put a placeholder for this in the round 2 list.

I have to ask Recoil3842 wether he is willing to ship to australia. :D

AncientWisdom

22 Feb 2012, 09:26

Awesome! glad to be of help.. I've actually known about this for a while but never got around to signing up and posting a request. :oops:

Shipping to Australia via Royal Mail should not be expensive, I buy stuff from the UK all the time. (it is shipping from Australia that is ridiculous... :shock: )

SweetDeath

24 Feb 2012, 18:08

Received 22/02/2012
Sent ??/??/2012

No message received from the guy following in my list .. trying to contact him, if he responds i can send on monday.

Review will be posted later.

CeeSA

24 Feb 2012, 21:44

contact the next guy!

Recoil3842

26 Feb 2012, 19:02

I guess that is the joy of coming in late, the potential to have to ship the keys to somewhere unknown. No problem with shipping to Aussieland.

CeeSA

26 Feb 2012, 19:50

Nice to know, thanks.

Telstar

27 Feb 2012, 10:37

Next guy here and alive :)
I had really forgot about this, so Sweetdeath message came as a really pleasant surprise.

Arnianor

29 Feb 2012, 23:20

Hello guys,
I'm sorry, for some personnal reason I've been out for some time. If there's an opportunity, I'd be glad to catch it.
Thanks.

DrIGGI

13 Mar 2012, 10:58

Status?

Telstar

13 Mar 2012, 12:04

I got the bag this morning, will post to luke16 before friday.

The keys are not in the order they are listed on the paper though, and i'm having some difficulty finding what i like the most :D

Update1:
With some help from other review I've been able to sort out what all the PCBs should be and, more important, reseat the keys in the correct places.
Note that I come from 15 years of IBM bucling spring use and the reason for changing is mostly one: the noise.
The three "switches" I like the most are the browns, the ghetto reds (blacks with blue springs) and the clears with brown springs, not sure of the order.
The only viable option for a purchase is the browns i think, although not my favourites. Will take a few more tries to think about it.

Update2:
With more typing, the clears with brown springs are very pleasant to type fast, but not sure of accidental keypress.
My favourites are the Ghetto reds, although some other mixes could suit me even more, but not sure what :)

Update3: Left hand preference:
1st blues, 2nd ergo clears (after a while they feel weird), 2nd brown , 3rd ghetto reds
The ghetto reds easier to press than brown, but way better than the original reds in this regard. Main issue of the blues is the noise, although less than my buckler springs, it has an annoying high pitch, which i'm not sure if i can stand.

Update3: Right hand preference:
1st blues, 2nd browns, 3rd ghetto reds (almost a tie).

Now the issue is noise and availability (italian layout) for the blues, while the browns i could get em tomorrow.
How well can u make the blues quieter?
Last edited by Telstar on 14 Mar 2012, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

Telstar

14 Mar 2012, 11:19

I'm really undecided between the blues and brown, i type 60% and game 40%, but for gaming i will probably get another keyboard with macros and black switches (+springs to change, since i prefer the ghetto reds to the originals).

I found and checked videos about the o-ring dampeners and they dont work nice on the blues IMO, its the "press" click that bothers me more than the actual bottom out. Ironically, the rings would make the browns totally quiet, but i like and want the bottom out sound, which helps me typing when i have headphones on.
Update: After another hour of clicking, I cant really stand the noise of the blues even when listening to music, so I have to put them off list, period.
Now it's a tie between the browns and the ghetto reds, which are a very viable all-around option if the keys are pcb-mounted (i have found a nice keyboard with blacks and macro keys in italian layout).

Anyway tomorrow i'll post the bag to the next person in list.

CeeSA

14 Mar 2012, 11:52

for gaming i use a Tipro keyboard w/ Matrix Layout. WASD are all ghetto Reds. Very nice for gaming.
Lookout for something like this:http://www.ebay.de/itm/Programmierbare- ... 500wt_1203

cowabunga

21 Mar 2012, 10:49

Any status update on the switch bag? Can't wait ^^

luke16

24 Mar 2012, 15:34

Hi there,

just to acknowledge that I got the switches yesterday and I'm still deciding which one I like better. Next week I'll send it to the next guy

Cheers

mhinsch

29 Mar 2012, 00:19

I'm currently #2 in the queue, however I'm going to be on vacation for two weeks (until April, 12th). Depending on when the person before me (cowabunga, I think) receives the switches it might make sense to bump me down one or two places in the list to avoid waiting times/delivery problems.

luke16

30 Mar 2012, 12:57

Yesterday I posted the switches to the next guy and here goes my ranking:

1 Ghetto Reds
2 Reds
3 Browns
4 Clears with Brown's springs
5 Blacks
6 Clears
7 Blues
8 Greens

Even though I own a Cherry Clears Keyboard, I found out that I really prefer Linear switches. Before I bought mine I tested some Blacks and Blues but I thought that the tactile feedback was more important, wrong! I found the Reds a little too soft and then the winner: Ghetto Reds. The clicky ones are annoying for me. I guess I will end up buying a Red switches keyboard, because it would be too much of a hassle for me to build a Ghetto Reds one.

Thanks again for the amazing opportunity Ceesa has given me.

Telstar

30 Mar 2012, 21:38

luke16 wrote: Even though I own a Cherry Clears Keyboard, I found out that I really prefer Linear switches. Before I bought mine I tested some Blacks and Blues but I thought that the tactile feedback was more important, wrong! I found the Reds a little too soft and then the winner: Ghetto Reds. The clicky ones are annoying for me. I guess I will end up buying a Red switches keyboard, because it would be too much of a hassle for me to build a Ghetto Reds one.
Nice that i'm not the onl yone that prefers ghetto reds to the real reds.
I find them too soft, easy to press by mistake, and without any kind of feedback, while the ghetto ones have a TINY feedback that i really liked. For my gaming keyboard i'll get one with blacks and replace the springs.

Gascogne

31 Mar 2012, 16:44

luke16 wrote:Yesterday I posted the switches to the next guy and here goes my ranking:

1 Ghetto Reds
2 Reds
Must ask since I have no clue, Ghetto reds? :?

CeeSA

31 Mar 2012, 17:01

Gascogne wrote: Must ask since I have no clue, Ghetto reds? :?
look op ;)

Gascogne

31 Mar 2012, 17:16

CeeSA wrote:
Gascogne wrote: Must ask since I have no clue, Ghetto reds? :?
look op ;)
Blind as a bat. ;)

o-ring dampeners + red = ghetto reds.

That is what I use now, the nick name had escape my knowledge. :p

Soarer

31 Mar 2012, 17:21

Eh? First post: Cherry MX Ghetto Reds (Blacks with the spring of Browns/Blues)

Gascogne

31 Mar 2012, 17:54

Soarer wrote:Eh? First post: Cherry MX Ghetto Reds (Blacks with the spring of Browns/Blues)
My bad.. I'm in a different world. :p

cowabunga

02 Apr 2012, 20:15

PCB's received 31/03/2012
PCB's sent 11/04/2012

I'll send the switches this week, I have already contacted both mhinsch and wtzOlt and am currently waiting for their replies.

My personal ranking:

1 Blues - absolutely love them, I own a Filco MJ 2 which is awesome
2 Reds & Ghetto Reds - I cannot really tell the difference, but cloud of boobs indeed ;D
3 Browns - very little force required and a little bit tactile, these would work great in office for me
4 Blacks - those are great too, but i prefer light switches
5 Clears w Brown Springs - the feeling is very uncomfortable for me, the tactility is very "unclean" (don't know how to describe it better)
6 Clears - too hard
7 Greens - way too hard to push them (for me at least)

Thanks again CeeSA!
Last edited by cowabunga on 12 Apr 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSA

03 Apr 2012, 09:52

thanks for the reviews!

update op.
@cowabunga - did you send the pcb's to wtzOlt already?

Return to “Try before you buy”