The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

cowabunga

03 Apr 2012, 10:29

nope, he has not answered yet. I'll contact the next guy in the meantime

cowabunga

06 Apr 2012, 11:57

I'm terribly sorry for the delay, but nobody except for mhinsch has answered yet. I have asked the next two guys now.

mhinsch

06 Apr 2012, 18:05

cowabunga wrote:I'm terribly sorry for the delay, but nobody except for mhinsch has answered yet. I have asked the next two guys now.
Well, if they delay a bit more I'll be back in at my old place in the queue ;-).

ViXoZuDo

11 Apr 2012, 05:04

Hello all. I would like to put my name forward for this list.

I'm from Perú (south America), so I hope this counts :D

BTW, I'm a moderator on my country's biggest gaming community (bloodzone.net), so as soon as I can, I'll make a full review of the switchs.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Apr 2012, 05:12

Welcome! I guess you're the first member from Peru.

cowabunga

12 Apr 2012, 22:28

fyi, i sent the switches to amasokin yesterday

PCB's received 31/03/2012
PCB's sent 11/04/2012

CeeSA

12 Apr 2012, 22:57

@cowabunga, thanks for status update

@ViXoZuDo, welcome!
To ship the PCB's to South America we need 3 more participants.
5 is minimum for oversea continentel shipping (i should update the op w/ this "rule"...)
maybe you could excite some other people in South America for this idea, thank you

Acanthophis

13 Apr 2012, 04:31

Can I still join in?
I am located in Berlin, Germany.

CeeSA

13 Apr 2012, 09:14

yes, welcome.

hamza_tm

14 Apr 2012, 13:25

Hi all could I be included in the rounds?

I'm in UK!

Cheers :D

amasokin

14 Apr 2012, 14:00

Just received the try bag from cowabunga today (Apr 14th), thank you very much.

I own two Filco, one in MX Blue and one in MX Brown, and a KBT Race in MX Red, so I already knew those switches.

At first glance, I REALLY like the Ergo Clears. I like the Browns but I always thought their tactile point was a tad too light, and the Ergo Clears are just perfect on this.

I love the sound of the MX Green, but they're way too hard for me. Is this the same switch than the Blue but just with a stiffer spring? Or is there an actual difference that make their clicky sound louder and feel more "precise"?

Also, when looking for the Ergo Clears mod, I read that the springs of the MX Blue, the MX Brown and the MX Red were the same. Is this true? Same spring for these 3 switches?

I hate the MX Black and the Clears, way too stiff for me and no point choosing them over their Red/Brown counterparts.

Well, finally, if I had to choose and just based on what I could feel with the try bag, I'd say: Ergo Clears > Blues > Browns > Reds > the rest. Not talking about the Ghetto Reds because they're basically the same than standard Reds. With my keyboards I prefer the Blues to type and the Browns to play. The Reds feel pretty good but I just don't like having no tactile feedback. I'd really love a keyboard in Ergo Clears, too bad they're homemade switches.

One last thing: does anybody know the actuation force of the MX Green and the MX Clear? The Geekhack forums/wikis are down at the moment and I can't find the info anywhere.

Thank you again for this great idea, I'll send the switches as soon as possible to mhinsch.

t4ub3

17 Apr 2012, 09:41

Hi Guys,
i also would like to join in. Like DeathAdder im from Germany.

rille

17 Apr 2012, 09:41

I'm also interested (Germany).

CeeSA

17 Apr 2012, 10:18

triple welcome, list updated :)

DrIGGI

26 Apr 2012, 08:35

nearly 2 weeks after the last status, where are the switches now??

amasokin

26 Apr 2012, 15:44

Sorry for the lack of news guys, I was really busy these last few days and totally forgot to give you updates. I sent the switches to mhinsch on the 24/04/2012 (France to UK). Thank you again for this great thread.

totor55

28 Apr 2012, 02:30

Hi
Could I be added to the list, please? (UK)
Thanks

mhinsch

01 May 2012, 15:32

PCB's received 01/05/2012

will post review tonight.

CeeSA

01 May 2012, 18:39

yes, totor55, welcome!

mhinsch

02 May 2012, 00:55

Ok, here's my take on the various switches. Since I signed up for the try bag I've managed to get hold of Blues, Browns and Blacks, so all the others are new to me. While trying the switches I knew I realized that testing a switch attached to a small piece of plastic (obviously) only goes so far in giving an idea of the actual typing experience. Anyways here's my thoughts...

linear

When I first tried the blacks I instantly disliked them. Typing on them for a couple of days didn't change that. After having tried blacks, reds and ghetto reds I can say with confidence that I generally dislike non-tactile switches. If I had to choose a linear switch I would probably go with the reds - they are light enough that bottoming out doesn't feel like work and bottoming out is the only way to get feedback from a linear switch. Also I find the difference between reds and ghetto reds quite small.

clicky

I am very ambiguos about clicky cherrys. I think on first sight they sound and feel nice and crisp. But when I type on them for a while the click starts to annoy me (much more so than that of my Monterey or my Model M) - it's just too high pitched. I also find the feel in general a bit plasticky and on the cheap side. That said, I prefer the greens over the blues - they are stiffer and feel more solid. I have to mention, though, that at the moment my main keyboard is a Model M, so currently anything will feel too light and flimsy for me...

tactile and non-clicky

I have a Compaq with browns which I find ok-ish. The tactile feedback makes them (for me) clearly preferrable over blacks, but I still find them too vague. The clears are better in that sense and even better the clears with brown springs. While still not nearly as crips as any clicky switch those (C+Bs) do have a nice pronounced feedback.

summary

I think trying various other kinds of keyboards has spoilt me a bit for Cherry switches. So, if noise is no concern I will always pick BS (or probably even clicky Alps or Montereys) over any Cherry - they just feel more solid and "crunchy". For an office environment I would probably go for modded clears, they are not half-bad for non-clicky switches.

I've contacted the next guy, as soon as I have the address I'll send the package on.

Edit:

Also, many thanks to CeeSA for this. I guess I would have managed to try most of these switches on my own sooner or later but this way is a lot cheaper ;-).

CanuckDE

03 May 2012, 08:40

Work is hell right now, can I be moved down the list to somewhere around the next batch of germans (Icarium/Sil/Circlepit), as I wouldn't have time to test them or arrange for the shipping.

CeeSA

03 May 2012, 10:20

before or after this group (Icarium/Sil/Circlepit)?

mhinsch

03 May 2012, 18:51

PCBs sent 03/05/2012

CanuckDE

03 May 2012, 19:42

Hi CeeSA,

either is fine, if you find it more fair I'll happily go after them. Its also more guaranteed that things will have calmed down on the work front. I'm estimating 2-3 weeks from my side.

Danke

triac

07 May 2012, 17:33

Can I join too? Hanging around in germany.

Want to buy a mechanical keyboard but I don't think it'll end well to buy one without testing any switch at all.

I promise to send them on their way again the day I receive them (if possible, otherwise the next day for sure [well, if it isn't sunday]).

h3ll0

09 May 2012, 10:27

Hi all!
Are there still spots available? I'm from Germany, too.

I'm planning on buying my first mechanical (a WASD from the US), but I'd like to try the different switches beforehand. I'd be more than happy to write reviews of both (including photos) and will send them to the next person within one day.

CeeSA

09 May 2012, 10:53

"Herzlich Willkommen"

your are both in the list.

ripster

10 May 2012, 14:54

I actually remember that word. It means Heart Lick.

DalaiLameR

11 May 2012, 16:51

I just received the switch try PCBs from mhinsh and will send them to GeorgeStorm tomorrow. Thanks alot CeeSA for putting so much effort into this!
Here are my thoughts:

I already own 2 Filcos (blue and red), a noppoo choc pro (brown), an IBM Model M SSK and a Topre 88ub 45g, so I was mainly interessted how clears, ergo clears and greens feel.

My favorite switch (at the moment) are MX Blues. As my daily driver, I switch between MX blue and BS, since I really love their clickyness and tactility. I mainly use the Limited-R for gaming (SC2) and the Topre for university and work to keep it quiet.

TACTILE + CLICKY:

1) MX BLUE: I really love this switch. It provides the tactile and clicky feeling of BS with a much less tiring lightness. For me, the by far best switch for typing.

2) (BUCKLING SPRINGS): Nothing compares to the feel and sturdyness of an IBM Model M. I actually prefer its sound over the sound of MX blues, but for extended usage, it's just too much work to do.

3) MX GREEN: The sound and feel of these are amazing at first glance. But I guess, they would be just too tiring for my little girly fingers :(

TACTILE:

1) (TOPRE): Very smooth, stressless and silent typing (except for the loud, shitty ABS-spacebar ... I hate that thing!!!). I've tried variable and 45g and prefer the 45g alot. My switch of choice for university and work.

2) ERGO CLEARS: WOW. That's how browns are supposed to be like! These things still have the lightness of browns, but add a great tactility to it. If I can get one of these in my fingers, it might even replace the topre.

3) MX BROWN: They lack the great tactility of blues, BS and clears and don't feel as smooth as reds. Just meeh. It feels like there is a grain of sand stuck in the middle of the switch. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. At least they are light :-)

4) MX CLEAR: Great tactile bump, but way too heavy for me.

LINEAR:

1) MX (GHETTO) RED: My gamingswitch of choice. Ghettos reds and reds feel just identical to me. I love their smoothness ... just like how a cloud of boobs is supposed to feel. For spamming keys and easy and relaxed typing, nothing compares to them. But the complete lack of auditive and haptic feedback is also causing accidental keypresses and typos.

2) MX BLACK: My least favorite switch. Too heavy for spamming keys while gaming and the by far worst switch for typing. It just lacks everything I like in a switch (tactilty, click and lightness).

Final thoughts: I guess I've already found my perfect setup for my daily driver, gaming and work. The switch, that impressed me the most, was the ergo clear. This might be my next board, but considering, how hard it is to find or build one of these, it might take a while.

I'm also donating some of my o-rings to the box for additional testing opportunities.

Greetings
DalaiLameR

edit:
PCBs received 11/05/2012
PCBs sent 11/05/2012

triac

17 May 2012, 15:27

Are they getting shipped in the order of that list? Just wondering because it doesn't seem very cost (and especially) time efficient. Actually very wasteful.
The switches could cover more ground in much less time with a bit of organization.

Return to “Try before you buy”