The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

CherryFan

25 Jun 2011, 08:33

Schöne Reviews!

Habt ihr eure Adressen schon ausgetauscht oder wie soll das hier gemacht werden?
Ich bin ja laut Liste als Übernächster an der Reihe. :)

deFlash

25 Jun 2011, 13:11

I hope i got this Set on Monday.........

You can send me. Address by PN Please.....Thanks

usopia

25 Jun 2011, 18:24

CherryFan wrote: Habt ihr eure Adressen schon ausgetauscht oder wie soll das hier gemacht werden?
Ich bin ja laut Liste als Übernächster an der Reihe. :)
ja, Adressen einfach per PM austauschen und evtl. auch CeeSA mitteilen, wann versendet und wann erhalten etc..

Mrinterface

25 Jun 2011, 18:51

This can be quite interesting : I am using an approach with much more centralized control for my sinklists : I arrange everything myself ( so, people get PM-ed by me with the address they need to send the item to ) as opposed to the de-centralized approach followed by CeeSa : he leaves it to the people on the list to find out what the address is they need to send it to, so they need to contact eachother in order for this process to work ( without CeeSa being in the middle ) ..... This could be my future strategy as well :-)

CeeSA

28 Jun 2011, 11:16

the 1st Round (only Germany) is closed now!
the next Round will be people from all over Europe.
atm we have only one, so you will get the boards very quickly.
send me a pm and i put you on the list.

CherryFan

02 Jul 2011, 19:22

I received the PCBs yesterday and here's my personal ranking, compared to my much beloved Cherry CyMotion Expert, which is an awesome non-mechanical keyboard.

Because I'm tall, I've also got relatively tall hands. So the CyMotion Expert is kind of ideal, because it has a 20% bigger key surface size.

Number 1:
As an allround used key I really like the behaviour of the "MX-Clear with Brown Spring". Too sad, that this type of key can't be found in any keyboard, afaik.

Number 2:
For just writing, I very much like the "MX-Blue" key. Its tactical feeling combinded with the click is outstanding.

Number 3:
As a second allround favorite the "MX-Brown" is not bad for my liking.

Number 4:
Here I'd like to put in my beloved Cherry CyMotion Expert.

Number 5:
"MX-Clear" is too heavy for me and I fear my hands will get tired very soon by using this.

Number 6 (x2):
"Ghetto Reds" and "Reds" which are very similar to me. They are easy to press, but with no feedback I can't see a point preferring it, neither at typing nor at gaming.

Number 7:
"MX-Blacks" are often used by gamers and I really can't see the point why this is so. They are to undefined and much too heavy to press. It feels like typing on a hard sponge.

This is my short impression. I think for an allround daily use I'd like to buy a keyboard with MX-Browns, as the MX-Clears with Brown spring are not available.

Do you have a suggestion which keyboard with German layout I should buy? Would Zowie Celeritas be a good choice for that price? :?:

IMPORTANT:
To my follower: Please send me your address, so that I can send the PCBs to you within the next week.

WICHTIG:
An meinen Nachfolger: Bitte sende mir Deine Adresse, damit ich Dir die PCBs in der nächsten Woche zusenden kann.

Haes

02 Jul 2011, 19:43

So you like Ergo Clears.

I don't like the Celeritas so much, because of the spacebar issue, but that's me personally
(Zowie recognized the issue and so they send another spacebar keycap if necessary).
The price is okay.
For a Filco MX Brown ISO you'll have to wait or you buy a AZERTY one from KC and switch the keycaps with QUERTZ.
In the end this solutions will you cost 180€.

I think a DAS Model S EU Silent / Ultimate Silent will fit you well:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Keyboard-Model-S-Ult ... 35b2b70c87

if you don't mind the glossy finished case.

Torgee

03 Jul 2011, 00:35

as for the filco with browns and german ISO, looks like getdigital.de has them in stock, so that would be 150€

regarding the PCB-Try-Bag, i'd suggest adding retro-blacks (pre 90' blacks), as some mentioned to feel a difference to new ones, the retro-blacks are told to be a little less stiff.
( I did myself, but this was a 89's g80 vs. a NIB g80, so the NIB may have made the difference there, so i need to check that again )

sadly,I don't have any spare retro-black-switches (or springs), but maybe someone has some to share.

xbb

03 Jul 2011, 00:45

how do you tell the visible difference from old black and new? apart from the switch top with the wider cherry logo.

Torgee

04 Jul 2011, 18:58

springs and stems looked pretty similar to me, so no visual difference there for me.
but i may check that again, and more pedantic :), when both boards will share the same place again ...

To grab the age of your cherry g80, you could aswell go for the serial-number, referring to
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... +keyboards
but this will only work for switches mounted to the original board, ofc

TheDuke

05 Jul 2011, 11:46

Hi, if possible I would like to join the 2nd round of testing. Btw I'm from Germany and I have read about this very nice idea in HWLX (using the same nick).

CeeSA

05 Jul 2011, 13:54

beside the shipping costs it's no problem to join the 2nd round for germans (stil europe).

TheDuke

05 Jul 2011, 14:30

Perfect :)
The shipping costs should not be the problem ;).

Haes

06 Jul 2011, 22:56

@ ascaii: do you've still my address? pm me :)

TheDuke

07 Jul 2011, 09:02

How many time do we have for testing the switches. I assume 1 or 2 days and then the switches have to go further.
Last edited by TheDuke on 09 Jul 2011, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSA

07 Jul 2011, 10:04

the is no timeline given, but i think 2 days are more than enough. after 2 days the package should leave.
think about the next guys in line - they wait for it

Tohveli

07 Jul 2011, 14:19

Would it maybe be smarter if you would move wipster before me in line since he's in the uk and the guy before me is on the isle of man. Could speed it up with a day because it wouldn't have to go Isle of man->finland->uk->germany instead it would go isle of man->uk->finland->germany....

CeeSA

07 Jul 2011, 16:50

yes of course.
the Europe round is differnet in that way from the german round.
i think there is a need to close the round and think about the shipping way it goes before sending to the first.

i will close the round 2 when i get the pcb's back from round 1.
than we will find out a smart route.

until then i follow your proposal.

TheDuke

07 Jul 2011, 19:42

Why not starting again in Germany ? It should be the fastest way from Germany to Germany ;) . I'm joking.

It is really hard waiting for the test examples because I would like to purchase a new keyboard but without testing it is not possible to choose the correct switch type.

artee

07 Jul 2011, 22:58

So the round 2 is not closed? Could I join it? I'm from Czech Republic...

CeeSA

08 Jul 2011, 12:14

no it's open, you are very welcome.
*list updated*

Ascaii
The Beard

08 Jul 2011, 19:26

Alright...here is my quick and dirty love letter to Cherry Corp.
I will be letting my little bro test them out tomorrow was well, he is visiting from Cottbus and my first convert. Hes dying to try reds. Hes well on his way with the g80-3000 with blues, the g80-3000 with clears, a g80-1800 with blacks, a g80-11802 with browns from my different hauls. Ill post his thoughts as well, if hell let me.

Originally I was planning to make a simple list from most to least favorite, but I hate to go by the norms (kind of funny, considering im studying engineering, the field with the most norms and regulations...), so I decided to do this as a little story-ish essay including my entire life history (concerning keyboards).

My first mech was an old Apple II in grade school...never knew it was anything special. My first conscious mech was a board I picked up this february, when I decided to jump on the overclock.net bandwagon and try a mech board (yes, Im an OCN infidel originally). So I started with a Dell with black ALPS, switched to MX blacks...played with those for a while, then decided to ignore the girlfriend and just go with the blues. Then I found a 1390133 Model M...and that graced my desk for weeks. A month of alternating between boards followed until I nabbed a g80-11802 on ebay and found browns, which I thought were the best switch for me. Sadly, thanks to Ceesa that is no longer the case (damn you).

To the switches:
I wanted the box to try reds, the rest was more of a meh, whatever situation. Id already tried blacks, blues, browns, and clears...but I was incredibly surprised when I tried the ergo clears. More to them later.
Quick and dirty:
MX Black: hard switch, helped me learn to stop bottoming out, decent feel until I tried something tactile, now only used when I need something different. Fun for gaming.
MX Blue: incredibly fun to type on, audible and tactile feedback boost my productivity, fun stuff. Used solely for typing + work related PC work.
MX Brown: fun like blues without the "annoy the girlfriend" factor. My favorite allrounder, I can game, type, surf, and work on browns. I will be modding my G80-1800 with the browns off my 11802.
MX red: smoooooooth, a tad too light for me, but I think I could get used to it. I can see how some people love the switch, but I think with my sausage fingers using reds on my daily driver would end with me going batshit insane.
Ghetto Red: definite difference to true reds. Slightly stiffer feel, but more then that just a different feel...its hard to describe, but I think the easiest way to describe it is that I feel that the force curve is NOT exactly linear, but gets stiffer faster by a tiny bit then the true reds.
Clears: too stiff for me, my bro loves them...Ive always thought they feel...dirty. Just not right.
Ergo clears: this is my holy grail...Ive been considering keeping the pcb^^. They feel incredible. The tactile bump is definitely more pronounced, yet the actuation force remains at a brown level. Im going to have to make a board with ergo clears now, im considering swapping my entire g80-8200 switches out now.

Thanks you very much CeeSA, its your fault im going to spend more money again.

edit: Bro here.
Let me make this clear (teehee): Cherry Clears were alright for me for a while but I agree, they do feel too resistant somehow. I prefer Blues for typing and Browns for most other stuff. The Clear board is seeing little to no use these days. It just seems like Clears try to cater to too many needs and somehow don't meet any of them. They are nicer to type on than Blacks, better than some to game on and not as annoying to neighbors as Blues but altogether make for a mediocre feel under the fingers.
Anyway, here goes my take on these.

Ghetto Reds: feel like they will be incredonculous for gaming, but seem to have just a slightly less smooth feel than the
Reds: I feel they live up to the hype! :D
Clears: great to learn how to not bottom out with a tactile switch but I have grown out of these. Not my cup of tea.
Blacks: Gamers who like linear switches and have muscular fingers will like these, coiuld be too stiff for some
Blues: it's always nice to know when your keystroke has triggered and unless you're listening to grindcore on your headphones at full volume you will hear it as well :) Just kidding. They sound pleasant and seem to change pitch slightly when they age. Maybe older switches are different. Dunno.
Browns: hard not to bottom out but once you get the hang of it it's really nice. I prefer typing on the Blues but these are good for those late-night-papers you need to finish. Unless you like to keep your roomies awake. I've heard it happens ;)
Clears with Brown Spring: somehow punchier than Browns. Want to try a full board with these. They give better feedback than Browns and have more resistance than Blues. Seems to me like this might be the best quiet typing switch. Definitely intrigued!

That's all, see ya folks!

Ascaii
The Beard

09 Jul 2011, 18:33

alright, the box is with Haes now. Ive added some greens to the box, just loose switches, but im hoping ceesa will make another cluster with them.

CeeSA

09 Jul 2011, 18:35

alright, nice
btw: nice review

Ascaii
The Beard

09 Jul 2011, 18:42

CeeSA wrote:alright, nice
btw: nice review
do you have another pcb to make a green?^^

CeeSA

09 Jul 2011, 19:12

shure, i will make another one.
I'll ever get out the saw

Haes

09 Jul 2011, 20:10

Alrighty, here is my second try, because I wanted to test the real red vs gettho reds which were added along with the ergo clears after my first try. Plus ascaii added some mx greens (and I'm the first to test them - so I'm excited).

My previous review you can read here: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#wrapper .

So...

MX Reds: linear response, very light. Here I've the real red one. Are they hyped? I think not! :) I can feel clearly a difference between ghetto reds and real reds. They havn't this subtile stiffness like Ghetto Reds and so they've a "lighter" response (feeling). For me it's even better like the ghetto reds. Like I already said, I'll buy a mx red keyboard for gaming because I feel that gaming on them will be a bit better like on blues which I do like for gaming too but I feel that reds are a bit better for me.

Ergo Clears: light tactile pronounce bump. I don't like the real clears because of the high resistance and I don't like browns because of the very skimmy tactile bump. But these are great. They're light like browns but they've also a more pronounce bump. The bump is less pronounce then on the real clears and yet it isn't so directly like on blues. They're really great as daily driver for everything. I like them and they jump on the 2nd position of my favorite cherry switches overall.

MX Greens: direct tactile bump, mediocre resistance (a bit higher then mx blue, about 5g) and clicky feedback. Usual the green switches are for the spacebar position on blue keyboards to give a higher resistance for the big heavy spacebar keycap. I noticed that my Filco MJ2 MX Blue doesn't have a green switch under the spacebar. So I don't know if any manufacturer is still using them. Anyways - the bump is feeling pretty much the same like on blues. The pitch is a tiny bit lower then on blues. I like them, but I wounder how the extra 5g resistance turn out on long sessions against blues which I love and I'm using on my daily driver. Especially the direct tactile bump plus the clicky feedback is a superb base for daily typing and working.

Verdict: my favorite cherry switches in order:

for typing and daily working:
MX Blues > MX Ergo Clears > MX Reds > MX Blacks > MX Browns

for gaming:
MX Reds > MX Ergo Clears > MX Blues > MX Blacks > MX Browns
Last edited by Haes on 11 Jul 2011, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

BMASTER

11 Jul 2011, 09:21

Wär auch dabei, wo kann man sich denn dafür eintragen?

CeeSA

11 Jul 2011, 10:27

i will ad you to the listing of round 2, the europe round.

BMASTER

11 Jul 2011, 10:37

thx,
how it works with the exchange and shipping address?

Return to “Try before you buy”