The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

hamza_tm

17 Dec 2012, 23:07

I've PMed a bunch of people and no one on the list before h3ll0 is replying, so I'm going to wait one day and then send them to him next.

deevious

10 Jan 2013, 03:42

I'm interested in getting in on the USA leg. :-)

CeeSA

10 Jan 2013, 08:28

ok, you are in. I will check the interest of the 4 other USA participants.
Stay tuned.

@ hamza - any updates?

Aufwind

10 Jan 2013, 18:40

Hi, I'd like to test those PCB's, too if possible. I live in Germany.

h3ll0

12 Jan 2013, 14:14

Haven't received the switches yet… :/

hdss

13 Jan 2013, 22:44

Can I be added to the list? located in NL, EU.
edit: thank you for adding
edit 2: seems like the switches are a bit lost?

edit 3:
I am not available from 24jan to 31 jan. I would still like to participate so reschedule if necessary.
With timing I suspect to be in three maybe four weeks. When usa is included even longer so shouldn't be an issue.

Why are you in the list CeeSa? Need to try them to? just kidding. Happily waiting...
Last edited by hdss on 16 Jan 2013, 08:49, edited 3 times in total.

CeeSA

13 Jan 2013, 23:00

Aufwind and hdss added to the list, welcome.

Aufwind

13 Jan 2013, 23:02

Thank you!

CeeSA

17 Jan 2013, 10:41

hdss wrote: Why are you in the list CeeSa? Need to try them to? just kidding. Happily waiting...
if the USA tour will happen, I just want to check everything is ok.
Side effect: no participant have to pay the overseas shipping costs...

Mrinterface

17 Jan 2013, 11:23

CeeSA wrote:
hdss wrote: Why are you in the list CeeSa? Need to try them to? just kidding. Happily waiting...
if the USA tour will happen, I just want to check everything is ok.
Side effect: no participant have to pay the overseas shipping costs...
Don't forget to put in a SurpriseBag<sup>@</sup>!

CeeSA

17 Jan 2013, 11:44

I have to ask...

What are you thinking about? The SwitchTestBag from you? I only have one, I think ;)

Mrinterface

17 Jan 2013, 11:52

Alright...

Here is the idea for the SurpriseBag :
1. You enter something of value inside the bag before you send it out. It can anything keyboard related like keycaps, switches, Topre testers ;) etc. Note that the weight should be kept low, to save on shipping costs.
2. When someone receives your switch try gaming PCBs they can swap the contents of the SurpriseBag with something of at least similar value. Preferable when you do a swap you put something with more value so the total value of the SurpriseBag increases.
3. When the round is done and the STG PCBs return home, you get a nice gift for all your work to manage it. You could even send some of the contents of the SurpriseBag to participants who showed examplary behavior(!)

The idea is based on this one :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

This is what I got back after my Cherry Numpad tester returned :

http://deskthority.net/resources/image/5783

Mrinterface

17 Jan 2013, 15:44

I can send you a genuine MrInterface TopreTester to start it off ;-)

naisanza

17 Jan 2013, 16:11

Still interested! Thank you!

Jmneuv

20 Jan 2013, 21:30

Are the switchboards alive?

CeeSA

20 Jan 2013, 22:29

yep, a status update would be nice....

hamza_tm? h3ll0?

h3ll0

21 Jan 2013, 22:31

Sorry for the delayed answer, I have to study for many exams atm. I received the switches on friday the 18th.
Mackem hasn't replied yet, imcr and RawrNasha are not interested anymore. I asked the next three persons on the list and will ship them not later than three days after I received the address from the next guy in line. My review will follow once I'm done with the exams :)

CeeSA

22 Jan 2013, 10:50

Update for the USA Tour: Today I send an email to the 2 leftover guys (did not respong my PM).

Jmneuv

22 Jan 2013, 16:34

well then, please put me in line for europe/germany
thanks!

h3ll0

23 Jan 2013, 23:31

I'll ship the switches to dasde tomorrow morning.

Here are my impressions (until now I only knew MX blue switches)

1. Red/Ghetto Red - I really liked the low resistance and linearity. They felt very smooth and not "cheap" as I had worried about before trying them. If I could choose a keyboard again, I'd take one with red switches. They also were very quiet, which might be a bonus.
2. Blue - I'm using them atm and really like their softness and the tactility. I also like the clicking sound, but under some circumstances it's annoying (when someone's trying to sleep in your room, for example) Also even after several months I still can't type without bottoming out and if I try, I type slower with more mistakes.
3. Black - stronger than red, but still usable. But generally I prefer lighter switches.
4. Brown - not sure if I like the "bump". Sometimes it feels better, sometimes worse than blue switches. But for normal typing they feel too "muddy" imo. I'd rather choose non-tactile (red) or the other extreme (blue) instead.
5. Green - wayyy to hard to press, didn't like them.
6. Ergo Clears - somehow similar to browns but with a different "bump" which I really didn't like. They feel like something's stuck :X
7. Clears - I really hate that bump.

In conclusion I can say that the pressure needed to activate a switch is not as important to me as the way the "bumps" work. This was somehow surprising.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to try the switches! Now I want another keyboard, lol :D

OKScottish

24 Jan 2013, 17:26

Hi, I would like to get on the USA list.

Thanks and i cant wait :)

CeeSA

24 Jan 2013, 22:16

Ok, one more US guy and the tour will happen :)

MonkeyTrev

24 Jan 2013, 23:06

Thanks a lot for doing this. Can you sign me up for the US tour.

deevious

24 Jan 2013, 23:27

CeeSA wrote:Ok, one more US guy and the tour will happen :)
Can I just sign up twice and get the ball rollin'? :-P

geotang

25 Jan 2013, 07:47

Oops, been browsing without logging so I missed your pm CeeSA.
I'm up for it too!

CeeSA

25 Jan 2013, 10:51

fine, so we have 6 US participants.

I closed the neverending 2nd round to redefine the process.
I think i would like to be more unified with the other "Try before you buy" sinklists.
There is also some space for routing optimization. Maybe some clusters with 5 people per country....
Suggestions are welcome!

And i would like to evaluate the 2nd with some lowpoints and highlights :evilgeek:

dasde

29 Jan 2013, 16:55

Just wanted to give an update: I haven't recieved the package yet.

dasde

01 Feb 2013, 15:12

I will mail the switches on Monday. Here is my review:

Browns - Just the perfect force required and the bump gives a good feedback, in longer sessions I couldn't see my self getting tired of them

Ghetto Red - They feel a lot like the browns, I dont know which I like the best.

Red - I felt I didn't get good enough feedback.

Ergo Clear - It felt like the button almost shaked very slightly, that may due to the bump, I was not a huge fan.

Clear - Same as with the Ergo Clear, just lighter force.

Blacks - Way too light for me, felt very mushy, and with no feedback at all, I could't see myself using these.

Blue - They are great at typing on if I were deaf or didn't have friends who would get annoyed by that god forsaken clicking noise it makes haha.

Greens - The make an even worse clicking sound than the blues, do not like.

Mrinterface

01 Feb 2013, 20:26

CeeSA wrote: And i would like to evaluate the 2nd with some lowpoints and highlights :evilgeek:
Like a professional! ;-)

Winther

05 Feb 2013, 05:09

Any chance I could get them to Denmark anytime soon?

I just registered here so I dont know excactly how this works, but seems simple enough..

Return to “Try before you buy”