Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?

c2lknt

20 Feb 2016, 22:35

The original Logitech G700 for me. The new versions went all gamer-y and gaudy, but the original was understated and had a matte finish, which was good for my sweaty, eager palms. I'm currently using a G502, because I didn't want to pay a full $100 for the G700. The G502 is also a little gaudy, but less expensive.

The other mouse I loved once upon a time was the MX one. I've stuck to Logitech because I like a lot of buttons, the programmability always works, and the dual-speed mousewheel thing is pretty good.

JinzoDefiler

21 Feb 2016, 01:01

Fun fact about the mouse wheel. Its not a dual speed per say. I've taken an old one apart(finally wore the left click micro switch out m500 same part.) its just a plastic thing that engages the indents on the wheel itself. thats all the thing is moving. it does have a light spring tension on it though.

yellowfour

21 Mar 2016, 06:40

Logitech MX Revolution is my ideal mouse. Been using it for 10 years ever since it first came out. $100 when it came out and totally worth every dollar.

Pros:
  • It has perfectly ergonomic shape.
  • Plenty of buttons that I can customize.
  • I put common keys like space, backspace, enter, copy, paste, 9 & 0 (the latter are shortcuts in Opera browser to zoom in and out, but also can be used inside other applications and games as well by mapping in-game commands to 9 & 0).
  • Wireless. I hate wired mouse. Always get snagged on something, and cable disrupts motion.
  • Rechargeable, short recharge time. It's still running for 10 years, although each charge seems to last shorter and shorter now. still a good week or two between charges. I bought a backup just in case, but the newer model has a different battery type and seems to have worse battery life.
  • Excellent build. 10 years and still works excellent. (left button dragging occasionally bugs out.).
Cons:
  • Quite heavy. Can be tiring at first until you get used to it.
  • Discontinued. Replace by inferior MX Performance.

lootbag

22 Mar 2016, 02:47

Like I said before, big fan of the adjustable scroll wheels in Logitech mice.
Also appreciate the larger ergonomic size because I have big hands.
Went from MX Revolution to G700; had a Revolution the first year they were available (over 10 years ago?).
Both these mice are now retired due to battery life issues and switches reaching EOL.

Tried out a G602 for a while, but I am not as satisfied as I was with the two previous mice (good ergonomic size, long battery life but standard scroll wheel). If only it has the adjustable scroll wheel I would like this mouse a lot more. This mouse is currently being used everyday at work.

This year, I bought a G502 Spectrum to try, but the scroll wheel is not to my liking. As a result, I swapped in a G500(s) wheel and it is much better. The size is not as large and more appropriate for claw grip. My current mouse at home for work and gaming.
Spoiler:
For the past 5 years, I have also been using a Kensington Slimblade with my left hand (in hopes to reduce chances of RSI) whenever I am not doing CAD/3D modeling/graphics work (I work as an Architect) with my right hand. I wish I could get used to a trackball for work usage, I think they are very comfortable.

The Microsoft Trackball Explorer has caught my interest, going to buy one off Taobao to try. Nice large ergonomic shape, physical scroll wheel (resembles a mouse wheel), 4 buttons, non-thumb operated trackball. Maybe I can finally get used to a trackball for work purposes.
Spoiler:
All in all, I have not found my perfect mouse because I am still searching :lol:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 04:50

I personally love the Kensington Slimblade. I should probably start using my DT-225's at some point though :roll:

E3E

26 Mar 2016, 23:09

The mouse in the video is my ideal daily driver. :lol:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Mar 2016, 23:16

I've tried plenty of mice including vintage ones but I keep coming back to my Steelseries Sensei. My number two is a Deathadder wich I like almost as much as the Sensei. I've been planing to get a Kensington trackball though.
sensei.jpg
sensei.jpg (183.19 KiB) Viewed 12912 times

lootbag

27 Mar 2016, 08:56

E3E wrote: The mouse in the video is my ideal daily driver. :lol:
The vintage feels.
seebart wrote: I've tried plenty of mice including vintage ones but I keep coming back to my Steelseries Sensei. My number two is a Deathadder wich I like almost as much as the Sensei. I've been planing to get a Kensington trackball though.
I really suggest trying out the Kensington trackballs, expert or slimblade.
Actually prefer using my slimblade whenever I am not gaming or doing accuracy intensive tasks (CAD/3D modeling).

Bookworm

06 Dec 2016, 09:16

If the MX master had a better scroll wheel with a physical ratchet button like on other mice, and if the thumb wheel was a little easier to scroll with, it would be perfect.

Zeal

06 Dec 2016, 11:08

Tried a number of mice, MX Revolution, VX Revolution, Razer Mambas, Corsair M95, Mionix Avior, G900, G403. Of all those, the G403 wireless would probably be my favourite for gaming/general use. MX Revolution was one of the most comfortable mice I've used for palming, but I don't tend to palm a mouse anymore. DPI on that mouse was also quite low for today's monitors. G900 was close, but the ambi design didn't work well with my ring finger and I wish the buttons were concaved instead of convex.

Hypersphere

06 Dec 2016, 16:28

Redmaus wrote: I personally love the Kensington Slimblade. I should probably start using my DT-225's at some point though :roll:
slingblade2.jpg
slingblade2.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 12591 times
http://www.miramax.com/subscript/weeken ... ing-blade/

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 16:39

Found the Logitech G502 surprisingly good. Unfortunately, it's overstyled and clearly gaming oriented but I was surprised how much I enjoy the ability to add weights to the mouse, especially having various slots to put them. Tweaked it to perfection for my everyday work. Since I run a rather spacy setup with three monitors, I am glad this mouse has enough DPI to still allow me full navigation freedom without lifting my wrist.

IronSunsetscales

12 Jan 2017, 19:44

My mouse of choice is usually the good old Microsoft Intellimouse series. Good fit, good click buttons, great quality, and lots of spare parts available. The one i'm using now is the Explorer 3.0 version, which has a faster sensor from the get go, better ergonomics, but lighter clickers sadly compared to the first generation.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Jan 2017, 20:18

That Mister Slimblade looks like Chyros in ten years time.

Q: Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?
A: No.
IronSunsetscales wrote: My mouse of choice is usually the good old Microsoft Intellimouse series.
Learning about keyboards taught me why the IntelliMouse series sucks so much. I figured that mice were all TTL or something, but no, mice will surely be microcontroller-based, the same as keyboards. That is, the stuff that makes a mouse tick isn't in hardware, but in software! Hence entrusting the likes of Microsoft to make a mouse yielded the only brand I've ever encountered in the ca. 27 years since I discovered mice, to have bugs in their mice.

No bugs in the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500, but the rubber grip disintegrates and the scroll wheel is completely unusable. For anthing, clicking or scrolling.

The IntelliMouse Optical is appalling. The ring buffer or whatever it is keeps transmitting spurious wheel events (duplicates of prior events), at random, but frequently; usually just one event, a few seconds after the last wheel rotation (or immediately if you try clicking) and if you need to rotate the wheel to undo this, you can get into click–rotate war with the mouse. Motion events are also duplicated spuriously upon button up/down events — subtle, but selecting part of an image fails constantly as the mouse-up is preceded by a false motion event cloned from the one that last occurred. (There's a bonus bug if you install IntelliPoint, but that has the only wheel acceleration implementation I've ever found that works well.)

These bugs occur in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10, and affect both the black and white versions. They affect my work PC (10), previous work PC (XP), home PC (10), previous home PC (XP), and other PCs I've used. Yet, oddly, nobody else ever, ever has these problems! I don't understand it. I replicated the motion event bug on a brand new, out of the box Windows 7 Dell PC!

I am sorely tempted to smash this fetid piece of garbage to smithereens with a hammer if I manage to replace it, but what would I replace it with?

It's ambidextrous, and I use it with my right hand at home, and left hand at work. It's got five buttons, with 4-drag bound to mouse gestures using StrokesPlus.

I am loath to ever install drivers from gamer brands, but I'd really like 6+ buttons and Microsoft stop at 5. Button 6 could be the thing in Windows 10 that shows all the windows. I have my Mac set to open Exposé with one of the extra buttons.

One brand with nice ambidextrous 5+ button mice is Roccat, but I would have to forego that hammer action because gamer mice are largely trash and all disintegrate in short order. My IntelliMouse Opticals are starting to fade (the one at home can now freewheel!) but they're all around 6 years old or some such and I don't want something that will only go for six months!

I'd buy Dell if I could — their optical mice are dependable. They don't do anything exciting though :(

seebart

12 Jan 2017, 20:20

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: That Mister Slimblade looks like Chyros in ten years time.
:o :lol:

IronSunsetscales

13 Jan 2017, 00:27

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: That Mister Slimblade looks like Chyros in ten years time.

Q: Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?
A: No.
IronSunsetscales wrote: My mouse of choice is usually the good old Microsoft Intellimouse series.
Learning about keyboards taught me why the IntelliMouse series sucks so much. I figured that mice were all TTL or something, but no, mice will surely be microcontroller-based, the same as keyboards. That is, the stuff that makes a mouse tick isn't in hardware, but in software! Hence entrusting the likes of Microsoft to make a mouse yielded the only brand I've ever encountered in the ca. 27 years since I discovered mice, to have bugs in their mice.

No bugs in the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500, but the rubber grip disintegrates and the scroll wheel is completely unusable. For anthing, clicking or scrolling.

The IntelliMouse Optical is appalling. The ring buffer or whatever it is keeps transmitting spurious wheel events (duplicates of prior events), at random, but frequently; usually just one event, a few seconds after the last wheel rotation (or immediately if you try clicking) and if you need to rotate the wheel to undo this, you can get into click–rotate war with the mouse. Motion events are also duplicated spuriously upon button up/down events — subtle, but selecting part of an image fails constantly as the mouse-up is preceded by a false motion event cloned from the one that last occurred. (There's a bonus bug if you install IntelliPoint, but that has the only wheel acceleration implementation I've ever found that works well.)

These bugs occur in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10, and affect both the black and white versions. They affect my work PC (10), previous work PC (XP), home PC (10), previous home PC (XP), and other PCs I've used. Yet, oddly, nobody else ever, ever has these problems! I don't understand it. I replicated the motion event bug on a brand new, out of the box Windows 7 Dell PC!

I am sorely tempted to smash this fetid piece of garbage to smithereens with a hammer if I manage to replace it, but what would I replace it with?

It's ambidextrous, and I use it with my right hand at home, and left hand at work. It's got five buttons, with 4-drag bound to mouse gestures using StrokesPlus.

I am loath to ever install drivers from gamer brands, but I'd really like 6+ buttons and Microsoft stop at 5. Button 6 could be the thing in Windows 10 that shows all the windows. I have my Mac set to open Exposé with one of the extra buttons.

One brand with nice ambidextrous 5+ button mice is Roccat, but I would have to forego that hammer action because gamer mice are largely trash and all disintegrate in short order. My IntelliMouse Opticals are starting to fade (the one at home can now freewheel!) but they're all around 6 years old or some such and I don't want something that will only go for six months!

I'd buy Dell if I could — their optical mice are dependable. They don't do anything exciting though :(

That's odd to say the least, the only 'bug' I tend to find with them is that when you stop scrolling, the page tends to move a tiny bit further after you stop scrolling, but even that is a rare occasion for me. And ofcourse turning the DPI setting right up on the older generations.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2017, 00:56

IronSunsetscales wrote: That's odd to say the least, the only 'bug' I tend to find with them is that when you stop scrolling, the page tends to move a tiny bit further after you stop scrolling …
Immediately, or is there a pause for a few seconds before it scrolls a bit further?

For example, if I scroll one web page, then point to the Firefox tab bar and click another tab, I'll start reading that page and then the mouse spontaneously sends a scroll event and I get kicked into another tab.

I use the wheel to switch image in IrfanView, and if I open an image in IrfanView and start cropping it, a duplicate wheel event from the previous window I was in will spontaneously fire and move me to the previous or next image and lose all my cropping (since carefully adjusting the selection doesn't trigger a Save prompt).

Sometimes in the Firefox tab bar it will fire a stream of wheel events and catapult me through a load of tabs, but that *may* be because the wheel is wearing out.

It's a pathetic, wretched contraption, but the choice for 5-button ambidextrous is very limited, and it's largely gamer stuff that is just going to die. It would be so nice to just, for once, have a mouse that works.

THATGUY69

14 Jan 2017, 01:09

Oh yeah. The Logitech G900 wireless mouse. I picked it up black friday for $75. I could not be happier with it :D

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jan 2017, 01:10

I might have to let Microsoft off just this once — I think the scroll wheel rotation sensor on my mouse at home is broken. I don't normally see that bug at work, and while I did see it once with a different IMO, it does seem to be a mechanical fault. The ring buffer bug is definitely there on the entire series (random spurious motion events when clicking or releasing any button), but the wheel event bug seems to be mechanical in nature and completely unrelated. I bought five originally and have one spare (two, I gave away), so I've swapped over to that one. So far it seems to be behaving itself.

Menuhin

18 Jan 2017, 01:31

If only the scroll ring of my Wireless Expert Mouse can rotate more smoothly like the reel of a fishing rod.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jan 2017, 01:50

I miss the smooth wheel of the defective mouse -- normally free-rotating wheels can't be clicked as they just spin, but somehow this managed to achieve both readily controllable free rotation (normally the wheel just spins out of control) and a working middle button (you can't press something that just spins). Except that the middle button was completely demented.

Free-rotating wheels also don't make that horrible grinding rattling noise, something the IMO suffers from.

Don't worry, the mouse is only 50-odd years old -- in a few decades we might figure out how to make the miserable things work properly. Maybe even within my lifetime.

IronSunsetscales

18 Jan 2017, 09:02

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
IronSunsetscales wrote: That's odd to say the least, the only 'bug' I tend to find with them is that when you stop scrolling, the page tends to move a tiny bit further after you stop scrolling …
Immediately, or is there a pause for a few seconds before it scrolls a bit further?

For example, if I scroll one web page, then point to the Firefox tab bar and click another tab, I'll start reading that page and then the mouse spontaneously sends a scroll event and I get kicked into another tab.

I use the wheel to switch image in IrfanView, and if I open an image in IrfanView and start cropping it, a duplicate wheel event from the previous window I was in will spontaneously fire and move me to the previous or next image and lose all my cropping (since carefully adjusting the selection doesn't trigger a Save prompt).

Sometimes in the Firefox tab bar it will fire a stream of wheel events and catapult me through a load of tabs, but that *may* be because the wheel is wearing out.

It's a pathetic, wretched contraption, but the choice for 5-button ambidextrous is very limited, and it's largely gamer stuff that is just going to die. It would be so nice to just, for once, have a mouse that works.

Oh no it's more like, right after scrolling, stopping the wheel, and the page moves one extra 'click' further. To me it sounds like your mouse has some serious problems, that certainly is NOT normal, none of mine do this, and I have more than 10 of 'em around as we speak!

Ir0n

18 Jan 2017, 09:26

I'm a palm gripper and have long ass monkey fingers so it's hard for me to find a good mouse lmao.

I've been looking for a mouse for a long time that fits me well and doesn't make my wrist hurt..I play a lot of games so I can't really use a vertical mouse (The sharkk mouse I own does help).

I had a Microsoft sidewinder x5 that I loved, but it died over the years and now they cost like 100 dollars for some reason?

Then I moved to a Logitech g600 and it was fine for about a year until my wrist started to hurt.
Moved to a microsoft sculpt ergonomic mouse, but it was way to bulky and made the joints in my fingers hurt.
Now I'm using a MX master and it's ok, but a bit small for me..my wrist don't get as sore.

I ordered a Mionix naos yesterday..wish me luck Lol.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Jan 2017, 20:21

IronSunsetscales wrote: Oh no it's more like, right after scrolling, stopping the wheel, and the page moves one extra 'click' further. To me it sounds like your mouse has some serious problems, that certainly is NOT normal, none of mine do this, and I have more than 10 of 'em around as we speak!
OK, so my work mouse does have the same fault (as I thought it did) — I've seen two if not three random wheel events today. It's just that my home mouse had degraded to the point that it was becoming a serious pain as it would interfere with so many programs.

It's definitely a fault with these mice — while mine are all from the same batch, I've seen one from a different batch (not even the same colour) present the same fault.

It's not a logic fault, it's a fault with the wheel rotation sensor, which will explain the variation in severity, and why my mouse at home has worsened with age. It's just that I also had a classic IntelliMouse with what seemed to be a logic fault with the wheel (I forget what, but it was something like middle click failing badly after scrolling), and there was a very me-too Firefox bug about it, and it became clear that most if not everyone joining in with the bug had an IntelliMouse. MS mice are just a pain!

I also used a Microsoft StupidoMouse™¹ with my Motorola StarMax, using TheMouse2B (written by a bloke in the next town) to emulate right-click in Mac OS 9. That mouse caused the cursor to move in 1.5 pixel increments, i.e. alternating steps of one and two pixels. That may, however, be a fault in the Tanzania motherboard and its bizarre idea of presenting PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports to Mac OS. The keyboard port didn't seem to work, but strangely Mac OS 9 recognises two-button mice! It just doesn't do anything with the second button natively.

¹ Identical shape to the IntelliMouse but without a wheel, and the ball cover is a totally different designw

ALuHaRD

01 Feb 2017, 16:14

If I could get the razer diamondback chroma or a copperhead with a 3360 or with the deathadder sensor (s3988?) and G Pro/G303 buttons then I could die happy. Best one for me right now is the Logitech G Pro with CeeSA's paracord cable mod. My DM1 Pro S arrived with a faulty right click and I never found the energy to return or repair it after I got the G Pro but the shape and snappiness makes it my second favorite. Will probably try to repair the click and give it another go at some point.

Mice I own atm:
Logitech G Pro
Razer Deathadder 3.5G & Chroma
Zowie Mico
DM1 Pro S (faulty right click)
Zowie EC2-A (white logo)
Ninox Aurora

Previously owned mice:
Razer Copperhead
Steelseries Rival (before 300)
Steelseries Sensei Raw Na'Vi edition
Logitech G303
Logitech G500
Logitech G100s

Hypersphere

01 Feb 2017, 18:25

UPDATE: It has been nearly a year since I started this thread. Since then, I have tested the following mice:

Asus Gladius
Corsair M65
Cougar 550M
Ducky Secret Mouse
Gigabyte XM300
Kensington Pro Fit Full-Size
Mionix Castor
Mionix Naos 7000
Razer DA Black
Razer DA Chroma
Razer Mamba TE
Roccat Kone XTD
SS Rival 300 (Still my favorite)
Thermaltake Ventus X
Zowie EC1-A

There is something to recommend about each one, but there was also at least one flaw that led me to reject most of them. None of them is perfect, but the one that has stayed on my desk the longest (and I am using it now) is the Steelseries Rival 300.

seebart

01 Feb 2017, 19:45

Your thoughts on the Roccat Kone XTD?

Hypersphere

01 Feb 2017, 21:01

seebart wrote: Your thoughts on the Roccat Kone XTD?
I really wanted to like the Roccat Kone XTD. If I recall correctly, the thing that killed this one for me was the feel of the "decorative" translucent strips for the LED lighting. This plastic has a more clammy feel than the surrounding plastic used on the body of the mouse, making the grip feel sticky.

seebart

01 Feb 2017, 21:17

OK thanks, I'm shopping for a new mouse right now not sure yet what to get.

qbadger

05 Feb 2017, 13:34

What about wireless? Any recommendations for one of those?

Return to “Mice & other input devices”