What's a nice allround mouse?

Lustique

27 Dec 2011, 11:48

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new mouse, since I'll (hopefully) get my first mechanical keyboard this week and need peripherals for my new PC. I've been using a (probably rather) cheap Logitech M-BJ69 which is a very basic optical mouse with two buttons and a wheel (also a button), and a A4 Tech Optical GreatEye (unfortunately PS/2) with two wheels (one of them also a button) and 4 buttons, which is somewhat a IntelliMouse Optical clone (from China) concerning looks, I think. (I'm pleased with both :oops: )

Since the Logitech mouse always was more of a loan and I cannot have it any more in the future, because the original owner needs it again, and as my new PC only has a PS/2-connector for keyboards, I'm in need of a new mouse. I was also considering trackballs, but as of now I don't want to experiment in that department, especially since they are somewhat pricey. :?

I think my grip could best be described as a mixture of palm and fingertip grip and I think I would like a mouse best that I could rest my whole hand on if I want to, so something like a laptop mouse is out of the question (these hurt my hand and my fingers after longer use, although I have fairly small hands). Also I would want an optical mouse (that's probably trivial, as there are likely no new ball mice any more), but I don't care about the technology involved (laser, LED, whatever). What's more, I don't want a wireless mouse. I like my peripherals wired and without batteries. :D Oh, and I'm a right hander, but I think I would like a symmetrical design best, unless asymmetrical designs are better. The mouse would, more or less, only be used for "office work" and some picture editing (hopefully for some gaming in the future as well), and I would use it with a 23" 1080p monitor.

I would hate to have a mouse that looks like a fucking Christmas tree (IMO the only light a mouse should emit is the light that comes from the sensor), a little oddly shaped keyboard that glows or a bloody transformer, so I would like a "basic" design best, I think. Finally, I would like to get a good value for money mouse (<20€ would be splendid, but a little more would be ok as well), so I don't need any "gaming hardware", since this seems to be overpriced all the time. :ugeek:

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a mouse from Cherry? :mrgreen:

Oh, and if you had some suggestions for a good value for money wrist rest, these would be very much appreciated as well, since in the past I have used a Logitech Internet Navigator which had a wrist rest, or laptop keyboards (which have a wrist rest as well), and I think I would miss one while typing on a board without one. :) Are soft wrist rests any good? One of these gel thingies perhaps?
Last edited by Lustique on 28 Dec 2011, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

nanu

28 Dec 2011, 02:14

I just got some Steelseries Kinzu (ver.1) from the eBays for fairly cheap because I wanted a plain-looking, basic mouse to replace my Logitech RX1000. I would like this mouse more if the logo were nonexistent. Compared to the RX1000 (great for fingertip-gripping with small hands) it's wider and contacts the palm more. Its wideness feels slightly awkward to me since I am habituated to ring-fingertip-gripping instead of leaving it resting on the right mouse button. The gripping corners are quite pronounced, with small radius between the top and sides, and along the bottom towards the back. It's definitely designed for either bigger hands, or gripping with the pinky.

Lustique

28 Dec 2011, 22:04

nanu wrote:I just got some Steelseries Kinzu (ver.1) from the eBays for fairly cheap because I wanted a plain-looking, basic mouse to replace my Logitech RX1000. I would like this mouse more if the logo were nonexistent. Compared to the RX1000 (great for fingertip-gripping with small hands) it's wider and contacts the palm more. Its wideness feels slightly awkward to me since I am habituated to ring-fingertip-gripping instead of leaving it resting on the right mouse button. The gripping corners are quite pronounced, with small radius between the top and sides, and along the bottom towards the back. It's definitely designed for either bigger hands, or gripping with the pinky.
Well, my hand is just about 18-18,5 cm long (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ometry.JPG), which is rather small, I think.
I normally hold my mouse in the following way: I rest the parts of my palm where the fingers are attached to (sorry, don't know the right term :oops: ) on my mouse, almost completely, but the rest of my palm doesn't really touch the mouse. I then grab the left side of my mouse with my thumb, and my ring and little finger grab the right side of my mouse, while my whole hand is tilted to the right (my knuckles are almost at a 135° angle). It's a symmetrical mouse, by the way.
Do you think the Kinzu would be right for me? :?

nanu

28 Dec 2011, 23:01

I can't say this is the right mouse or best mouse. I'm more empathizing with your situation since our requirements are similar, and this is just what I chose recently. One day of using the mouse and I am finding zero problems so far. There's only so much information that can be explained in text when you're asking about fit and feel that is best done by sampling in person.

The product page claims that it accommodates various grips, and I agree. Gripping the symmetrical Kinzu as you described, and apart from hand tilt that I find awkward, I say it's more comfortable than the way I gripped my previous mouse (also symmetrical), so it could work for you. I wish you get more responses :D

Also, I forgot to mention that if you do decide to try out the Kinzu, its shell feels slightly rubberized. Not enough to have lint stick, but the ABS feels coated or is textured matte and somehow achieves this slight tackiness. I smell no odor emission.

sordna

28 Dec 2011, 23:50

I am very happy with the Logitech M500, although it's right handed (not symmetrical).
It has nice light switches, hyperscroll, and some extra buttons. I switched to the M500 from an MX518 because the latter's buttons needed too much force to press and the scrollwheel was too hard to turn.

xbb

29 Dec 2011, 04:56

CM Storm Spawn if you like the kind of grip. There is also a cheaper version named Xornet. You can rest only a part of you palm on it but it feels nice.
Else I'd suggest the Razer Deathadder Black Edition, without leds, clean, very nice design and texture. It's big enough to fully grip it with a medium sized hand.

Lustique

31 Dec 2011, 01:05

nanu wrote:I can't say this is the right mouse or best mouse. I'm more empathizing with your situation since our requirements are similar, and this is just what I chose recently. One day of using the mouse and I am finding zero problems so far. There's only so much information that can be explained in text when you're asking about fit and feel that is best done by sampling in person.

The product page claims that it accommodates various grips, and I agree. Gripping the symmetrical Kinzu as you described, and apart from hand tilt that I find awkward, I say it's more comfortable than the way I gripped my previous mouse (also symmetrical), so it could work for you. I wish you get more responses :D

Also, I forgot to mention that if you do decide to try out the Kinzu, its shell feels slightly rubberized. Not enough to have lint stick, but the ABS feels coated or is textured matte and somehow achieves this slight tackiness. I smell no odor emission.
Yeah, you're probably right, but unfortunately the only shop near me that sells mice at all, almost only has wireless mice or mice from Trust (I don't know whether this brand is known outside of Germany, but I don't think that they produce hardware of high quality. Does someone here know their products? Perhaps webwit (since it's a Dutch company as I have just found out?).

Well, the hand tilt almost looks like this, at least angle-wise. It seems I don't need an ergonomic mouse do use my mouse ergonomically. :mrgreen: But it definitely looks promising, but I think I'll keep looking for cheaper choices. If there are no proper ones, I think I'll get this.

Mmmh, I've never used rubberised PC peripherals? Are these harder to clean than the classic plastic thingies?
sordna wrote:I am very happy with the Logitech M500, although it's right handed (not symmetrical).
It has nice light switches, hyperscroll, and some extra buttons. I switched to the M500 from an MX518 because the latter's buttons needed too much force to press and the scrollwheel was too hard to turn.
Do you still have the middle mouse button functionality with this hyperscroll technology? I've read somewhere that you cannot use the wheel for clicks properly with this. :?
xbb wrote:CM Storm Spawn if you like the kind of grip. There is also a cheaper version named Xornet. You can rest only a part of you palm on it but it feels nice.
Else I'd suggest the Razer Deathadder Black Edition, without leds, clean, very nice design and texture. It's big enough to fully grip it with a medium sized hand.
Honestly this looks a little too small/short, almost like one of these notebook mice. If you have to use it with this claw grip, I don't think I would like it, since this is the kind of grip I (have to) use on notebook mice. With these kind of mice my fingers start to hurt a little after a rather short time and I frankly find this grip to be generally uncomfortable.

Well, the cheapest price I've found for this is about 50€ and that's a little too pricey for me (about 20€ more than the cheapest offer I could find for a Kinzu), considering it would probably more or less only used for work. If I were a vivid gamer, the price would be no problem. Other than that it looks really nice. It's really tasteful, I think.

But thank you all for your suggestions so far! :D

sordna

31 Dec 2011, 01:44

Lustique wrote:
sordna wrote:I am very happy with the Logitech M500, although it's right handed (not symmetrical).
Do you still have the middle mouse button functionality with this hyperscroll technology? I've read somewhere that you cannot use the wheel for clicks properly with this. :?
Yeah, middle click isn't that great, but I actually remapped the middle click to the "left tilt" of the scrollwheel which is MUCH easier. So either pushing the scrollwheel down or tilting it to the lift produces a middle click. I paste a lot, and left tilt of the wheel is effortless compared to standard middle click on any mouse I've tried.

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 01:00

have a look at the cyborg RAT 7 for a fully adjustable and cracking mouse (bar the software) software is a bit clunky n naff, never got the precision aim mode working right either, other than that amazing mouse!

Daniel Beaver

01 Jun 2012, 01:08

Seems like you want a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
:D

Soarer

01 Jun 2012, 01:11

off

01 Jun 2012, 14:04

RougeRambo wrote:have a look at the cyborg RAT 7 for a fully adjustable and cracking mouse (bar the software) software is a bit clunky n naff, never got the precision aim mode working right either, other than that amazing mouse!
:? ... How did you get to this thread?
<and how are you seeing the RAT7 for ~20euros>

*edit: Seeing how threads repeat I'll link this other one here, and I seem to remember that there was yet another one as well..
Last edited by off on 01 Jun 2012, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Maarten

01 Jun 2012, 14:39

I myself am pretty fond of Roccat and Steelseris stuff, but seeing you dont like zhe zhiny ztuff then Roccat is probably out of the question. Steelseries however have a nice range of very 'dull' looking mice with great quality in a range of sizes most of which you can find used for 20 or so bucks and the good part is that when bought second hand they hold their value pretty well.

You can ignore the Sensei (expensive and shiny beast) and pretend the picture above reads Xai instead as its the same size-wise but for you its much better looking and its way more affordable.

I would suggest just keeping an eye open on some of these showing up for nice prices and just try em a bit, youll never find out what size or shape you prefer if you dont try a couple different ones, its simple as that.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/370617883405

If you can snipe that one for a couple bucks you can give it a try (its a very decent mouse actually and should tick most of your boxes) and after you learn what yo do or do not like about it you can either sell it and get something different or maybe youll even grow to like the little thing!

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 19:36

off wrote:
RougeRambo wrote:have a look at the cyborg RAT 7 for a fully adjustable and cracking mouse (bar the software) software is a bit clunky n naff, never got the precision aim mode working right either, other than that amazing mouse!
:? ... How did you get to this thread?
<and how are you seeing the RAT7 for ~20euros>

*edit: Seeing how threads repeat I'll link this other one here, and I seem to remember that there was yet another one as well..
magic.
and oops i musta missed that bit emmm logitech g500 then, its a bit more but worth it.

7bit

01 Jun 2012, 22:05

:roll:

domoaligato

01 Jun 2012, 23:58

I love my Logitech G9X Gaming mouse. it has interchangeable hand grips and weights that you can adjust. it has left and right mouse buttons, scroll wheel w/tilt and 2 thumb buttons. it also has a few really small buttons on the top. you can record macros and assign them to any button/function. my scroll wheel hits the number 1 key instead or scroll left.

Acanthophis

02 Jun 2012, 00:05

I might hijack this thread a little.

As I also am looking for nice mouse to buy in the hopefully not too distant future.
So far, I have the Zowie EC1/2 eVo in mind,
Anybody out there who wants to share his/her :roll: expierences with that mouse?

RougeRambo

02 Jun 2012, 01:56

DeathAdder wrote:I might hijack this thread a little.

As I also am looking for nice mouse to buy in the hopefully not too distant future.
So far, I have the Zowie EC1/2 eVo in mind,
Anybody out there who wants to share his/her :roll: expierences with that mouse?
i do not have the mouse, but my mate has a board by them so i can at least confirm they are of decent quality and well made etc.

Maarten

02 Jun 2012, 10:36

Maarten wrote:http://www.ebay.de/itm/370617883405

If you can snipe that one for a couple bucks you can give it a try (its a very decent mouse actually and should tick most of your boxes) and after you learn what yo do or do not like about it you can either sell it and get something different or maybe youll even grow to like the little thing!
Hope you were the winning bidder lustique, 15 bucks is a great price for a good as new Kinzu V2 even if it is without its box 8-)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”