Ok Rollermouse Users - I'm looking at you!

__red__

09 Jan 2018, 03:13

Just got a rollermouse and struggling.

Any advice?

codemonkeymike

09 Jan 2018, 03:18

Raise your sensitivity, use little flick motions not long sweeping motions

__red__

09 Jan 2018, 18:38

So with the device set to 1200 dpi I find it problematic to click on something without the mouse moving. Do you use the movement bar to click or another finger to click the physical button on the left?

codemonkeymike

09 Jan 2018, 23:47

I use the physical button, like I was using the pointer on a thinkpad.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Jan 2018, 00:12

I never use the rollerbar as a button ... that just ruins everything. instead I move the rollerbar with my thumbs and mapped the slim "copy" and "paste" buttons as left/right mouse buttons.

I should do a video of that if you can't get an impression yourself ...

pixelheresy

10 Jan 2018, 00:17

I use the roller bar as a button on both my original and with my rollermouse 2 pro. Part of it is to center the thing based on your hand. I usually have my B key lined up with the scrollwheel, so most full-sized boards will seem off-center. It is down to tuning. I only use the left-click button if I am clicking a dragging a lot. Otherwise, I get enough precision... but it takes tuning and getting the hang of it.

Michael Doyle

10 Jan 2018, 10:44

I love my rollermouse but I find that I still like to have the option of having a mouse or trackball on the side and moving back and forth depending on what I'm doing, or where my hands are. So maybe try supplementing your inputs with a mouse if that's what you're comfortable with until you get more used to it.

As a side note, if my hands are in a typing position I like to use my thumb to move and click the rollerbar, but when I'm sat back in a relaxed position I use my fingers to move the bar and my thumb to hit the physical buttons.

pixelheresy

10 Jan 2018, 12:39

Michael Doyle wrote: I love my rollermouse but I find that I still like to have the option of having a mouse or trackball on the side and moving back and forth depending on what I'm doing
I agree. If I am doing some graphics editing (funsy gamesy stuff in my spare time... last and current job have an entire graphics team, so besides cropping and exporting, I do very little on the job), I do like I having a Logitech M570 trackball (I am one of those ones who love love loved the old Microsoft optical trackballs, so this is the closest modern without dropping a fortune). Also, for gaming of any sort. At work, since (as some of you recall) I have the ridiculous Tipro setup [below] I make due. Which isn't bad, since I am in VIM, a browser, or command-line 99% of the day and I have shortcuts and hotkeys galore.

That being said, I would suggest only having the mouse *physically available* (at home I keep it behind the keyboard) but not reachable. This will force you to learn the Rollermouse and most people who do really really like it. If you are a touchtypist, it is great. The closest other solution for touch typing while mousing is using a *well made* board with an integrated touchpoint [IBM/Lexmark M13 or Unicomp EnduraPro], but that *is* your keyboard and with being able to "throw" horizontally and "spin" vertically, the Rollermouse is a lot quicker and more precise at higher tracking speeds, not to mention additional buttons and a scrollwheel.

pixelheresy

10 Jan 2018, 12:40

The afformentioned Tipro MID monstrosity with Rollermouse.

__red__

10 Jan 2018, 14:03

OMFG.

My life's work is to make a beamspring version of that glorious thing!

Back to the rollermouse - this may be an indication that I'm doing it wrong but I wish the actual roller was more to the right.

Thanks for the feedback thus far everyone, it's changed it how I'm using it some but it still feel peculiar. Also, I need to work out how to remap this thing.

Specific wanted changes:
i. remap double-click button to middle mouse button.
ii. I wish I could make the middle-roller less resistive.

pixelheresy

10 Jan 2018, 15:48

__red__ wrote: OMFG.
:lol:
__red__ wrote: My life's work is to make a beamspring version of that glorious thing!
THAT would be something!
__red__ wrote: Back to the rollermouse - this may be an indication that I'm doing it wrong but I wish the actual roller was more to the right.

Thanks for the feedback thus far everyone, it's changed it how I'm using it some but it still feel peculiar. Also, I need to work out how to remap this thing.

Specific wanted changes:
i. remap double-click button to middle mouse button.
ii. I wish I could make the middle-roller less resistive.
I really cannot reach the left button with my right hand on the home row, but can reasonably with everything else. I use my left thumb for the left click when I need to click and drag (and only then). Again, it may just be a matter of style and getting used to it. At work, I type on the left isolinear matrix and the staggered with my right, so my right is usually the only one there. Since I am used the using the Rollermouse almost exclusively with my right hand, this pattern carries over to my use at home, with a more standard keyboard.

I have the buttons (using Contour's tool for Mac) set to left click for the leftmost, right for the rightmost, scrollwheel click and the middle button for button 3 [mapped in BetterTouchTool to trigger Expose] and the two utility buttons mapped to button 4 & 5 [mapped in BetterTouch tool to move Spaces over left and right]. This way, with multiple screens , I can have nice full screen apps and easily switch and navigate through all of it.

With my non-pro at home, I have scrollwheel click disable and scroll press and roll to do the Button 4 and 5 thing, but that is less convenient. I do have Scroll Lock and Pause/Break bound to these functions anyway [on an IBM Model M] so not a huge deal.

There are a lot of options in Contour's tool.

Less resistive, as in the force to scroll the scroll wheel or the roller? Both of mine were second-hand, but both were fine. Perhaps from breaking in? Don't know. There is a thing to tune how hard it is to click the rollerbar, but all of the above are butter smooth and even (after cleaning).

__red__

10 Jan 2018, 16:41

pixelheresy wrote: Less resistive, as in the force to scroll the scroll wheel or the roller? Both of mine were second-hand, but both were fine. Perhaps from breaking in?
Scrollwheel.

There's a configuration tool? I should grab that.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”