Disable 'Enhance pointer precision' (mouse settings windows)

mrog

12 Jan 2012, 11:41

The single greatest way to enhance your pointer precision!

Seriously, maybe its because I grew up with without my mouse moving differently based on acceleration. But I remembered how great the mouse was after disabling this 'feature'.

I've now added this to my 'things to do while setting up windows'.

It also makes mice with configurable DPI settings more important as now the mouse => cursor relationship is now 1:1 so if the dpi setting of your mouse is too low you wont be able to get from one side of the screen to the other.

In any case, if you were not already aware of this 'feature' in modern versions of windows - try disabling it and let me know what you think!

pyro

12 Jan 2012, 16:52

I second this, especially if you have mouse-buttons to switch dpi settings.

trax

12 Jan 2012, 22:35

Yes, as a hardcore, competetive FPS gamer I stayed with windows XP till I found a proper patch for win7.
Its this one I uploaded in a zip, also contains a tool to check USB Polling rate and comparison between device movement and cursor movement.

No need to patch the system :)

Got it from some quake player ages ago, never gonna lose this.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34490568/Remove ... 0accel.zip

pyro

12 Jan 2012, 23:07

You don't need a patch to disable the pointer precision enhancing in Windows 7. Search for 'change mouse settings' in the start menu, hit enter, open the 'pointer options' tab, and disable 'enhance pointer precision'. I'd be very sceptical as to why someone would write an executable to do something that simple.

trax

13 Jan 2012, 00:55

pyro wrote:You don't need a patch to disable the pointer precision enhancing in Windows 7. Search for 'change mouse settings' in the start menu, hit enter, open the 'pointer options' tab, and disable 'enhance pointer precision'. I'd be very sceptical as to why someone would write an executable to do something that simple.
Some games, like quake turn 'Enhance pointer precision' ON.
This patch removes mouse acceleration even though the setting is turned to ON.

The patch is not an executable but a reg file.

The executable is a tool for testing, source code included.
The driver is for overclocking usb, not really on topic but still relevant.

Both tools can be found in Stermy's config download at Stermy.com

Return to “Mice & other input devices”