Thinking of getting a Trackball

Swede

21 Jan 2012, 21:02

So I'm thinking of getting a trackball, but I know nothing about which trackball is good, or what is bad.

Does not matter if it is a thumb or finger trackball, So any suggestions is nice :)
Also are there any pros and cons to thumb vs finger trackballs?

I am also thinking of maybe integrating it into a desk, as I will design a desk from scratch I'm thinking of making it as ergonomic as possible. So a trackball that is easy to mod would be awesome!

Sugoi

22 Jan 2012, 17:43

Swede wrote: I am also thinking of maybe integrating it into a desk, as I will design a desk from scratch I'm thinking of making it as ergonomic as possible. So a trackball that is easy to mod would be awesome!
In that case I would recommend getting a CST trackball.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?5625 ... post169454

yakill

22 Jan 2012, 18:13

Agreed.

@ Sugoi: Really love the CST I bought from you (at ComputerBase)

Swede

22 Jan 2012, 19:34

I'll look into a CST, I hope I can get one new here... Would have to get a clear trackball as well ;)
Would make it pop when modded into a desk :D

ripster

22 Jan 2012, 21:33

Swede

23 Jan 2012, 00:11

Got the idea from you ripster ;)
To bad I can't fly over there and steal your stuff... would make stuff so much easier, and cheaper :P

Trent

04 Mar 2012, 02:48

I really enjoy my Logitech M570. The signal is great and I have yet to replace the battery on it. Not to mention that is is a tad cheaper than most of the "high end" trackballs out there. It does the job just fine for me.

mkeeley

05 Apr 2012, 04:37

Used to have a Logitech because of a dodgy neck and it helped. Took some getting used to though.

RC-1140

06 Apr 2012, 21:13

I'm interested in trackballs too. I just remembered having used an "Logitech Trackman Vista" in my youth (I used this before I used an ordinary mouse), and liked it's ergonomics. Now I'm thinking about getting a trackball for everyday usage again. I wouldn't like to spend much money on it, as I'm always short on money and don't even know if I will like it. For gaming I will still have to use my Razer Mamba.

guilleguillaume

19 Apr 2012, 13:21

I've been using the Logitech M570 since December 2010 and I think it's a fantastic input device. I didn't have to change the battery yet and I keep it always in ON mode.

The Microsoft Trackball Optical is really that good ? I mean those are being sold for 200$ news right now on Amazon :|
Spoiler:
I find it good looking but I've never tried one so I can't say how good it may be.

mSSM

19 Apr 2012, 14:29

I took a gamble and bought the CST L-Trac X from www.computerware.co.uk for about €160. I have never used a trackball in my life and I am extremely happy with my purchase. At first I needed to get used to the trackball being extremely sensitive, even at 800 DPI (lowest setting). But you can control it very easily by fixing it a bit with your thumb and ring finger.

Even my girlfriend, who is getting tired of me lurking on keyboard forums all the time, loves the thing. :)

fossala
Elite +1

19 Apr 2012, 14:30

My brother who hated the slimblade likes my ltrack. I bought the 3200dpi one and only use it on the second setting. :(

yench

19 Apr 2012, 16:28

haha, same here. bought a 3200 one and only use the 800 setting on 1280x1024 19"

it's great for everyday use but not as precise as my old ms imo 1.1

fossala
Elite +1

19 Apr 2012, 17:33

My monitor is 1980x1200 24" I find it fine on the second setting.

mSSM

19 Apr 2012, 18:06

How do you guys use it for selecting test? I find that sometimes a bit hard...

fossala
Elite +1

19 Apr 2012, 18:27

I hold down the button, then drag.

domin8r

24 Apr 2012, 11:43

Just bought that Microsoft Trackball used for 11 euros.. looked like new.
Read good things about it..

Will let you guys know if it's any good.
guilleguillaume wrote:I've been using the Logitech M570 since December 2010 and I think it's a fantastic input device. I didn't have to change the battery yet and I keep it always in ON mode.

The Microsoft Trackball Optical is really that good ? I mean those are being sold for 200$ news right now on Amazon :|
Spoiler:
I find it good looking but I've never tried one so I can't say how good it may be.

Jim66

25 Apr 2012, 13:25

I'm still getting pretty bad neck/back pain from using a mouse so I'm going to give a trackball another go.

I've just bought a cheap Kensington expert from ebay; if I grow to like trackballs (not necessarily this model) perhaps I'll buy a CST?

I'm also going to give using it left-handed a go (I'm currently right-handed), has anyone else tried this?

Icarium

25 Apr 2012, 13:31

I'm not sure I understand the connection between neck/back pain and mouse usage. How did you come to that conclusion?

Jim66

25 Apr 2012, 13:42

Well, I've recently come to the conclusion that most of my pain is coming from my poor posture when using the mouse (the pain is over my right side; I'm right handed). When I'm tying, I'm sat back in my chair with a nice even posture, but as soon as I used the mouse, I end up reaching forward, pushing the mouse much further up the desk (closer to the monitor).

I notice that when I pull the mouse close to the keyboard (and closer to me) the back/neck pain isn't that bad that day, the problem is, I always end up sliding back town the desk and into the same uncomfortable position.

I figured that with a trackball, I wouldn't need to move the unit, I could keep it in place right next to my board. furthermore, I could place it on the left side.

Two birds, one stone; killed.

It was my understanding that poor seated posture arising from mouse location was a 'real thing'..?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

25 Apr 2012, 14:01

Jim66 wrote:I've just bought a cheap Kensington expert from ebay; if I grow to like trackballs (not necessarily this model) perhaps I'll buy a CST?
This is what I did. If you like the KEM, you'll love the CST. I preferred the scroll wheel, and the button placement on the KEM, but the CST makes up for it by having an incredibly smooth action, and not requiring you to clean it every day...

off

25 Apr 2012, 14:04

Jim66 wrote: was my understanding that poor seated posture arising from mouse location was a 'real thing'..?
You could try leaning back instead of leaning in.. (when mousing)?
Although, that is exactly what I'm doing, and was the reason I clicked on this thread since my arm is starting to feel the awkward position it's in for hours on end. So wouldn't be 'the solution', maybe a trackball will provide relief, or at least a change for your body (always good), but you could try.. ;)

Jim66

25 Apr 2012, 14:32

Yeah, I've tried this before, I always end up leaning forward when I'm concentrating. I'll give it a try, I've got nothing to lose.

off

25 Apr 2012, 14:40

just lower your chair so much you'll have no choice but to tilt it backwards to even reach your mouse/keyb :mrgreen:

Peter

25 Apr 2012, 17:35

mSSM wrote:I took a gamble and bought the CST L-Trac X from http://www.computerware.co.uk for about €160. I have never used a trackball in my life and I am extremely happy with my purchase. At first I needed to get used to the trackball being extremely sensitive, even at 800 DPI (lowest setting). But you can control it very easily by fixing it a bit with your thumb and ring finger.

Even my girlfriend, who is getting tired of me lurking on keyboard forums all the time, loves the thing. :)
That seems like a damn fine trackball, congratulations !
Now I just hope my wife doesn't see it before I can afford to buy her one !!
She has 2 Logitech Marble Trackballs, even uses them for gaming .

Dunno how she does that, I feel as helpless as the first time I used a mouse instead of a joystick
to control games.. But I did learn it, after discovering 'reverse mouse' .
Probably just a matter of training with it for a while ?

Jim66

25 Apr 2012, 22:53

Back on topic(ish), do the older CST trackballs have a different profile to the newer ones?

Also, am I right in thinking that the older models don't have a scroll wheel and the new ones do?

fossala
Elite +1

25 Apr 2012, 22:56

The older ones don't have a scroll wheel. They also have different dpi and are non selectable. Don't know about the profiles though. I can mesure my cst ltrack x 3200dpi (latest model) if you want to compare.

Jim66

25 Apr 2012, 23:14

I've just had a look at some of the measurements and they appear to be the same.

I think, if I was to get one, I would get this:

http://www.computerware.co.uk/lasertrac.html

It has a lower DPI and it doesn't have the option to connect the extra buttons; that's the only difference between this and the most expensive model isn't it?

Grond

25 Apr 2012, 23:34

I'd like to try one, but frankly I find it too expensive for a mouse. Besides it says "for CAD users and serious gamers" and I'm none of the two! :D

domin8r

26 Apr 2012, 11:58

Microsoft trackball came in today and using it now.. So far so good!
Like the feel of it. The top is exactly like a mouse so your fingers are more or less in the same position.. scroll too.
Ball itself is smooth..

Thing is a lot bigger than you think by the way.. was really surprised by that!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”