Pointer device for programmer

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Apr 2018, 15:29

Hi guys, the other day I saw my coworkers rollermouse and immediately fell in love with the idea. I would really like a pointing device like this; where you don’t have to take your hands off the keyboard.

One of the things that I do not like about the rollermouse is the size. My work keyboard is a Realforce 87U (TKL) and it looks like these devices are made to sit under a full-size keyboard.

Is there any similar pointing device that would work well with this size keyboard? I’m definitely open to options!

chzel

13 Apr 2018, 15:33

Check here for some rollermice if you decide on them!

risk23

11 Sep 2018, 04:29

snacksthecat wrote: Hi guys, the other day I saw my coworkers rollermouse and immediately fell in love with the idea. I would really like a pointing device like this; where you don’t have to take your hands off the keyboard.

One of the things that I do not like about the rollermouse is the size. My work keyboard is a Realforce 87U (TKL) and it looks like these devices are made to sit under a full-size keyboard.

Is there any similar pointing device that would work well with this size keyboard? I’m definitely open to options!

Apologies for the necromancy, but in case you still want an answer..

Firstly, the Pro-series RollerMouses (Pro2/Pro3 vs Free/Red) have a shorter, enclosed roller that will work with smaller boards.

Secondly, if you still insist on something smaller in terms of width and would like a somewhat similar method of operation, take a look at Mousetrapper. It's essentially a two-way movable silicone surface and they do have the Moustrapper Flexible variant that's about 30cm iirc.

Finally, there's a finger mouse that works off of an accelerometer. It's essentially a small device you attach to your finger and then activate by touch. By all accounts it works quite well, but I haven't tried it myself, it's $120 and it's a failed kickstarter where the guy took the money, didn't deliver the product to most backers and is now selling the product on his website. Apparently he does ship via his website, so it's not a rip-off in that sense, but I personally don't feel like rewarding him by giving him money. Reproducing and improving upon this product is actually on my list of to-do projects.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”