Foot switch.

andrewjoy

15 Jul 2019, 15:42

Hi All.

I have been looking into possibly trying out a foot switch for holding down mod keys ( shift control etc ) as when playing long sessions on some games and needing to hold down mods and press buttons for actions (shift 1 2 3 4 5 6, control 1 2 3 4 5 6) and so on. And it can start to be uncomfortable after a while.

I was looking at something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Foot-Swi ... SwB8FbYBpq and was wondering if you guys had tired them.

Do you guys have any experience with foot switches. How durable are they? Are they fully programmable without dodgy china software etc.

Any other recommendations for foot switches ?

I usually have my feet on a foot rest so something wall mountable may also be nice , that i can just push my foot against .

Anakey

15 Jul 2019, 16:46

hmm i guess you could even remove any circuitry in the pedals then hook them to a pro micro then they could just be programmed like any other key switch

andrewjoy

15 Jul 2019, 20:09

Anakey wrote:
hmm i guess you could even remove any circuitry in the pedals then hook them to a pro micro then they could just be programmed like any other key switch
That is a good idea.

They all look to be just re brands of the same thing . I found the same thing with another name for about 6 GBP so orderd two .

The universal software for them looks...... ok . Will have a play with it and if its crap i will do a pro micro (or possibly a USB to USB hasu

Archie

17 Jul 2019, 12:35

andrewjoy wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:42
Do you guys have any experience with foot switches. How durable are they? Are they fully programmable without dodgy china software etc.

Any other recommendations for foot switches ?
Many years ago, foot switches were a popular addition for trackballs (either as add-on accessory or included in package). Typically, ordinary Omron-style microswitch is mounted inside, so reliability is comparable to mouse button.

This particular pedal as you've linked I ordered without any electronics from AliExpress, for use with my Dremel rotary tool.

Can't say anything about USB control software, but you can just connect it to the keyboard contacts: simple modding (opening the keyboard & soldering some wires/connectors to the Control and/or Shift switch contacts) will be required, though.

CeeSA

16 Aug 2019, 00:27

For gaming this kind of pedals are bad imo. Slow and to much force.

Build your own.
From my archive:
Attachments
black_footpedal_top.jpg
black_footpedal_top.jpg (763.12 KiB) Viewed 8196 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Aug 2019, 07:49

I seem to have missed this thread, thanks to CeeSA for his comment which bumped it :D
andrewjoy wrote:
Anakey wrote:
That is a good idea. […]
@andrewjoy
As I said in another thread, I have a professional footswitch which is not Windows 10 compatible, so if you're interested in modding it you can have it for shipping costs.
Spoiler:
Olympus Fussschalter RS-26.jpg
Olympus Fussschalter RS-26.jpg (296.3 KiB) Viewed 8167 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Aug 2019, 08:37

I feel the right thing to do is 3d print + custom firmware. It could be a nice little project. Let me know if you need help

andrewjoy

16 Aug 2019, 10:34

kbdfr wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 07:49
I seem to have missed this thread, thanks to CeeSA for his comment which bumped it :D
andrewjoy wrote:
Anakey wrote:
That is a good idea. […]
@andrewjoy
As I said in another thread, I have a professional footswitch which is not Windows 10 compatible, so if you're interested in modding it you can have it for shipping costs.
Spoiler:
Olympus Fussschalter RS-26.jpg

I will PM you :)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”