Recommendations for a desk pad?

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2019, 22:55

So, I recently got a neat wee desk, small enough to put next to my Roland piano. I've already modded it with hidden internal shelves for my laptop and Drobo, leaving the whole of its small 800 × 420 mm desktop for my display and input devices. But I don't want to scratch up the surface by using my mouse straight on the veneer like my old desk, which turned quite manky! Apparently, that size is just about perfect for a desk pad. I'm sure I've seen similar things in people's own desk photos around here, so what are your opinions?
I'm thinking black would go well alongside my black piano, and white mouse. Speaking of which: I'll be using it for a mouse mat, of course, so something which holds steady and performs well with a Magic Mouse is vital. I already tried a cork cover from Ikea, but although my mouse moves okay on top of it, its sensor turns all spastic, so that's going back! Thought I'd better ask for knowledge instead of get too deep into returns, which I loathe over the internet…

The desk is in a tight space so I don't want something too big. What do you suggest?

wobbled

23 Sep 2019, 23:11

I own the exact one you linked and while it was ok, it did slip a little on a wood desk and seemed to get damaged easily. So I ended up buying this one as well to replace it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
You might have to trim it down a little if it's too big. :lol:
That one was definitely was a good buy since it doesn't slip all over my wood desk like my previous ones have.
The only thing that bugs me is having to flip it over once in a while as the edges like to turn upwards.
Plenty of room for a full sized keyboard, a mouse, and potentially a trackpad or phone on the left side.
Here's the mat on my desk
20190915_161628.jpg
20190915_161628.jpg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 21631 times

Wazrach

23 Sep 2019, 23:20

wobbled wrote:
I own the exact one you linked and while it was ok, it did slip a little on a wood desk and seemed to get damaged easily. So I ended up buying this one as well to replace it:
You might have to trim it down a little if it's too big. :lol:
That one was definitely was a good buy since it doesn't slip all over my wood desk like my previous ones have.
The only thing that bugs me is having to flip it over once in a while as the edges like to turn upwards.
Plenty of room for a full sized keyboard, a mouse, and potentially a trackpad or phone on the left side.
Here's the mat on my desk
20190915_161628.jpg
Unrelated, but what made you go for that keyboard? :o

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2019, 23:26

Thanks Wobbled! I see they even have a smaller version which is the right size.

wobbled

23 Sep 2019, 23:34

I hate cables, and I'm too lazy to find a Hasu bluetooth controller to make one of my many HHKBs wireless :lol:

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2019, 23:37

They're totally, categorically, absolutely worth it. I ordered mine from the man himself, and it's easily the best thing I ever did for my favourite keyboard.

Wazrach

24 Sep 2019, 00:50

wobbled wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 23:34
I hate cables, and I'm too lazy to find a Hasu bluetooth controller to make one of my many HHKBs wireless :lol:
I do like the look of that keyboard. How is it to use? Romer-Gs sound great, but err... let's not speak about the key feel.

wobbled

24 Sep 2019, 14:36

Literally the only thing I like about the keyboard is the fact it's wireless, mechanical, and has a wrist rest.
But unfortunately...
The key switch sucks ass, it's like a clusterfuck of cherry red, cherry brown, sandpaper, and rubber domes.
And the wrist rest already shows signs of significant usage despite the fact it's only a few months old.

I'll have to go with muiriums suggestion eventually, I am just rather lazy :)

Apologies for hijacking this thread with discussions on Romer-Junk

andrewjoy

24 Sep 2019, 15:41

How about one with a diagram of buckling springs ?

https://store.level1techs.com/products/springs-deskmat

I would order one but the shipping outside the US is insane.

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2019, 17:23

Hmm. I’m even in America soon. And they do a discount on two!

I’d seriously consider it if 800 mm wide. 900 is larger than my desk, though, and I doubt these like cut. Besides, the smaller size (which has a nice variation on the design) is way too wee.

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2019, 10:07

Muirium wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 17:23
Hmm. I’m even in America soon. And they do a discount on two!

I’d seriously consider it if 800 mm wide. 900 is larger than my desk, though, and I doubt these like cut. Besides, the smaller size (which has a nice variation on the design) is way too wee.
If you do end up getting one , count me in for a second.

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2019, 15:25

Can’t. Too wide. And stitched, so no such simple mod as a good chop with scissors on both sides.

I’ll go with the Wobbler’s suggestion.

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2019, 15:39

wobbled wrote:

20190915_161628.jpg
Have you stolen all my stuff? I have very similar wood worktops for my desk , and that record player and smaller versions of them speakers .

Yours looks nice and new and clean tho, mine is a mess with stains and scratches and the odd soldering iron burn on it. Need to empty the desk and re-finish it.

What did you use to finish yours ? I just used some danish oil and some wax. Prob go darker ( possibly a tinted wax ?) to hide the marks :).

wobbled

25 Sep 2019, 18:14

andrewjoy wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 15:39

Have you stolen all my stuff? I have very similar wood worktops for my desk , and that record player and smaller versions of them speakers .

Yours looks nice and new and clean tho, mine is a mess with stains and scratches and the odd soldering iron burn on it. Need to empty the desk and re-finish it.

What did you use to finish yours ? I just used some danish oil and some wax. Prob go darker ( possibly a tinted wax ?) to hide the marks :).
Haha this just means you have incredible taste in things too buddy! :D
The record player is outstanding, and the speakers are deafeningly loud monsters in my somewhat small room

Trust me a few weeks ago it looked like shit. The mouse mat used to be hiding the worn out parts of my desk. The wood went a dead looking pale colour.
I gave it a really fine sanding (because I never bothered to finish the wood when I first bought it - silly me)
Then slapped on 2-3 coats of this orange oil from amazon:

It's the first time I've worked on Oak, so I'm not able to recommend much else, but that oil was amazing!

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2019, 17:21

One of my longterm goals is to get into carpentry and make my own awesome desk, sourced entirely locally from felled Scots pine, beech or oak. I could deep dive like a total madman if I had the skills!

In the meantime: the pad has arrived, and fits my neat little desk just nicely. Popped some heavy objects on the corners to help it adapt to being flat again, after shipping in a diploma tube. My mouse works with it and it looks pretty good, so far so good. Thanks for the tip!
Desk Mat.jpg
Desk Mat.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 21297 times

wobbled

26 Sep 2019, 17:49

That's pretty much a perfect fit, looks fantastic mate. And holy fucking hell am I jealous of that kishsaver. The thing's I'd do for one of those...

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2019, 18:06

Too small a desk for me but it looks nice !

Where is your monitor with its 1000 USD stand :P

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2019, 18:20

Ha! Yeah, I totally need one of those…

My one and only current era Mac—a 2013 MacBook Pro—is sneakily tucked away on the shelf you can just make out under the desk. I cobbled together this setup as a home for everything: including that boxy Drobo on the right. I made space for cable guidance throughout, and there's a 6-way power strip hidden out of view down where the power supply is. Not too bad for a tight wee setup. What you can't see is the iPod Hifi—no laughing now!—hooked up to Logic. It's away up near the ceiling, centred over my piano. The ungainly cable hanging out the display's back heads on up to it. I usually use it with a Bluetooth dongle, but a few tenths of a second of latency is no good for playing keyboard, so it's wired when I'm doing this.

Think I may need more Kishsavers to help flatten this mat, mind…

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2019, 18:28

Well i can swap my sausage dog for your kishaver if you like :P that is prob as long as you desk :D

wobbled

26 Sep 2019, 18:32

I'll swap a kidney for your kishsaver honestly

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2019, 18:40

I'm not much of a meat eater, I'm afraid.
andrewjoy wrote:
Well i can swap my sausage dog for your kishaver if you like :P that is prob as long as you desk :D
Actually, that *is* a legitimate use for the Kish's loooooooong assed brother! Fancy!

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2019, 19:01

Muirium wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:40
I'm not much of a meat eater, I'm afraid.
andrewjoy wrote:
Actually, that *is* a legitimate use for the Kish's loooooooong assed brother! Fancy!

Mine looks ballin now with its satin black paint and that APL set and orange Fn keys :)

wobbled

26 Sep 2019, 23:28

Well cmon then lad... Whip it out?
Lets 'ave a look! :shock:

andrewjoy

27 Sep 2019, 13:55

wobbled wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 23:28
Well cmon then lad... Whip it out?
Lets 'ave a look! :shock:
If and when we get a bright day i will see what i can do.

Muirium
µ

27 Sep 2019, 15:52

Bright days in autumn are a lie!

Bright.JPG
Bright.JPG (416.58 KiB) Viewed 21190 times
I know, needs moar Model F, right?

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 2.45.52 pm.png
Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 2.45.52 pm.png (70.58 KiB) Viewed 21187 times
I'm up to something with macros, now both these heavy duty fellas are on Xwhatsit. Would you believe I was being denied CAPS? NO PROBLEMO NOW!

Since I shot that picture, the lil' Kishy has shoved the big AT even further off the edge of the desk. Quit throwing your weight around, wee man!

Daniel

29 Sep 2019, 14:15

Although you've already found a nice deskpad I'd like add another recommendation:

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/GaMa1337#spec4

Available in different sizes, I'm using the XXL one for more than two years now and can't complain. The logo isn't that big and can be covered with the keyboard if it's put to the top left corner.

swampangel

30 Sep 2019, 16:54

I'm late to the party but I bought https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3275290 ... 4c4dfiOBcZ (80x30cm) a couple months ago.

I'm happy with the mat, and very happy about the price. But I wish I'd noticed the pastel/floral versions available first https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291781 ... 2e0evewSD5

Return to “Mice & other input devices”