GameBall allegedly finishes its gaming trackball for launch in Q1 2020

davkol

15 Oct 2019, 15:31

GameBall have been teasing a new finger-operated trackball design for gaming on and off for a few years now. It's just been announced that they'll start selling them early next year (2020), though.
GameBall will be available in early 2020.

GameBall has been in development for over four years. We have finalized the design and moved into final user testing. We have seen many challenges and learned a lot during this time. Our goal continues to be to make a high quality trackball designed for gaming.
We thank you all for your support. Please sign up here for updates and ongoing communications.

Thank You
Eric Andrus

features:
  • ambidextrous
  • three buttons on each side (vertically oriented), six total
  • scrolling in a ring around the trackball (touch-based, as opposed to Kensington's mechanical scrolling by ring/ball)
  • modern sensor
  • ceramic bearings
  • USB (wired)
The previous version, which didn't get into production, had a 1.5" ball and was supposed cost under $100.

video (warning: ¿dubstep?)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Oct 2019, 15:34

Aww for a moment I thought this was going to be a new SpaceOrb ... miss that thing!

Archie

16 Oct 2019, 18:51

Can't take it seriously, unless actual sale begins. They're routinely "updating" the release date for several years, with words like "last changes", "streamlining design", "some final improvements", "will be available next year" and so on - but nothing beyond computer-generated images was created till now.

davkol

16 Oct 2019, 19:28

There's a new video that shows a prototype.
And another:

Archie

20 Jan 2020, 23:39

davkol wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 15:31
GameBall have been teasing a new finger-operated trackball design for gaming on and off for a few years now. It's just been announced that they'll start selling them early next year (2020), though.
GameBall will be available in early 2020.
All as expected:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/com ... ct_update/
We were hoping for an early 2020 release, but unfortunately we are not going to make that. With the latest design changes and some internal setbacks we will be closer to mid year.

BitbatClicks

15 Feb 2020, 02:39

Really interesting. I always saw trackballs frowned upon as an input device

ifohancroft

15 Mar 2020, 15:04

To be honest, I can't take them seriously and it's not even for the fact that they always push the release date further into the future.

They claim they are making a gaming trackball, like that's the main use for their trackball and then they go and release it with a scroll like this.
The scroll isn't functional (I'll explain later what I mean and why) and makes the device look like it either doesn't know who its intended target customer is or like it's made for hipster designers.
Let's take CS:GO for example:
Not counting the actions that are performed by the keyboard, you need to be able to either shoot (left click) or put/remove your silencer (right click) while being able to use the scroll at the same time. I don't see that happening with the current design.
It seems like it would be possible but definitely not comfortable and will be fatiguing and tiring just after a few minutes.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 Mar 2020, 16:21

ifohancroft wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 15:04
To be honest, I can't take them seriously and it's not even for the fact that they always push the release date further into the future.
This, I remember looking at this what seems like years ago and they still haven't released anything. :|

keyboardist

11 Jun 2020, 22:41

IMHO any DPI buttons are a wast of space (no matter if it's mouse or trackball). So I hope you could reprogram that function to something else - like additional button. Want precise aiming without loosing speed of movements? That's what pointer acceleration curve is for.

Also to be honest so far I see no proofs that this trackball is in any way designed with any special and unique functionality not seen in other models in mind. I personally can play Quake III type fast arena shooters on CST L-trac just fine using small sensitivity on highest DPI plus acceleration with offset and be among highest accuracy players without putting too much effort. If you need more buttons than 2 (CST 3rd button is place in a way its almost unusable so I don't count it) and scroll - that gap is filled by ELECOM finger trackballs. So the question is - why would one desire to buy Gamerball? The only thing that would attract me would be really good quality of plastic (better than most trackballs on market) and switches (at least half as good as CST has, certainly not cheap Logitech ones that break after like 9 months of gaming as it was in my case) plus HIGH and I mean HIGH DPI. as high as at least > 1600 DPI that L-Trac has. Ideally good laser tracking of DPI at least 3200DPI or above. That paired with small sensitivity setting and proper acceleration and offset would make a good tool of total annihilation.

Archie

12 Jun 2020, 13:47

keyboardist wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 22:41
So the question is - why would one desire to buy Gamerball?
If it will be ever really made available, I'll definitely add it to my collection: just to evaluate particular combination of controls, shape, ball location etc. But there's indeed nothing special or new in this device, except for several years-long teasing...

davkol

12 Jun 2020, 14:07

I would love a modern, more portable ambidextrous trackball.

No way will I take my L-Trac or Slimblade out to use with a convertible.

Archie

12 Jun 2020, 14:17

davkol wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 14:07
I would love a modern, more portable ambidextrous trackball.
Have you tried Kensington Orbit Wireless Mobile? No additional buttons unfortunately, but in general it's quite convenient for mobile use IMHO. And BTW, it does have touch-sensitive scrolling, jokingly attributed as specific to GameBall in this tread's first message...

davkol

14 Jun 2020, 13:44

I can live without a wheel (or equivalent), but at least three buttons are a must.

I'm not too fond of proprietary wireless devices either.

davkol

29 May 2021, 23:26

They're opening preorders (at $138) next week.
Hello Reddit Trackballers,

We are targeting June 2nd at 10:00 am PST (5:00 pm GMT) to start presales on our first batch of GameBall Limited-Edition units. We will be releasing three total Limited-Edition batches and once they are gone, we won’t make more. This first batch will be our smallest release as we ramp up production, and we expect to sell out quickly. Shipments for this first batch are expected to begin June 15th. Each batch of presales will be released separately, and we will let you know in advance of each presales date. The Limited-Edition version is being offered at a reduced rate of $138 USD, and the Standard-Edition version will be priced at $148 USD. The Limited-Edition will have a red ball and a red base while the Standard-Edition will have a black ball and black base (no other differences). Sales of the Standard-Edition will start once we have sold through the Limited-Edition units. These dates/times may change, so please always check the GameBall website (News and Updates page) for the latest information. www.gamingtrackball.com

Thank you all for the ongoing support!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”